Royalty Thread #5 - Kate Now Officially A MILF

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Baby + white = recipe for disaster. :D But it is a beautiful christening outfit, and a beautiful suit, too.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Awaiting more pictures, sure to arrive!
    eta: As I understand it, they "aged" the color of the fabric used for the reproduction Christening gown.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

5. skatesindreams

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thanks for sharing - say what you will about the Daily Mail, but they always come through with tons of great pictures on these occasions!

7. Wyliefan

Good Lord -- Pippa looks SO much like Kate there, for a minute I was like, "Why did Kate change her hat?" :)

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Glad it wasn't just me. I was thinking "Kate's face looks fuller than normal"

9. skatesindreams

^^^
    Me, too!

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

OMG, that's one beautiful baby. I usually think infants look like lizards so that's a high compliment.

12. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Really cute and he seemed so relaxed. Just hangin' out with mom.

13. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

He's cute though I think he looks kind of like a girl... :slinkaway Especially compared to a friend's daughter who, at 16 months, still looks more like a boy than him :shuffle:

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Zara Phillips (or does she go by Tisdale?) is absolutely stunning! I think she is probably the most gorgeous woman born into or married into the royal family in the last 100 years. She is one of those women who gets better looking every year.

Oh, George is a cutie! Thankfully they picked a good time for the baby. I never understood why William was christened at 11:00am ...

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

mike tindall is a picasso. i'm surprised he can breath through that thing.

16. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

That's very true. :)

17. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I want to go all Uncle Dick on HRH and pinch his royal cheeks.

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

He may have looked girly because of the christening dress, but I imagine if we see Prince George in regular baby clothes the impression would be different...

He should demand one :mitchell: If other baby royals are getting them, why shouldn't he? ;)

Of course, in relation to the throne, Estelle is in the same position as William rather than George.

20. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

You might have a point there :)

21. Wyliefan

Item in today's Washington Post that made me do a triple take:

"Desserts included a 'christening cake' with a tier taken from William and Kate’s wedding cake."

Maybe "tier" means part of the non-edible decorations in this case?

22. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

There is an old English tradition around this. The wedding cake is a dark fruit cake with royal icing. One layer or tier of cake, covering in icing (and therefore impermeable) is kept after the wedding. This is to be cut and eaten on the occasion of the christening of the couple's first child.

Back to the wedding, each guest would receive a small slice of fruitcake wrapped in a serviette (napkin) which had the names of the couple and date of the wedding. This was not to be eaten, but to be taken home and put under their pillows so the guests would dream about the future. I think single people were supposed to dream about their future mate, don't know what married people would dream about. It was considered ok to eat the cake on the first anniversary of the couple, or the christening of their first child, whichever came first.

I used to put these hunks of fruitcake in a freezer bag and store them in my freezer. I never seemed to remember to eat them at the correct time, so had a bag of frozen fruitcake slices to throw out when we moved after 31 years!

23. Wyliefan

Interesting! I've heard of the "cake under the pillow" tradition, but never about the christening tradition.

24. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Fruitcake lasts forever.

25. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

The British fruitcake is a far different animal to it's North American cousin. In Britain it is a cake full of fruit which in many cases has been soaked in alcohol prior to the making of the cake and once made resembles fruit held together with pieces of cake - very dense and moist. Then the cake is soaked in alcohol over a period of weeks prior to being eaten effectively preserving it. This is the basis for both wedding cakes and Christmas cakes and are far more edible to what I remember the north American fruits cake was- and I had 22 years in America and never came across anything that resembled the British fruitcake unless I happened to be visiting a UK ex-pat!!

As has been stated the wedding tradition here in the UK is to keep the top tier (or one of the tiers) of the wedding cake wrapped up well and sometimes frozen to be used as the Christening cake of the first child - which apparently happened in the case of Prince George.

26. liv

liv Well-Known Member

LIttle George seemed so well behaved!!! He looks exactly like his daddy right now, although his eyes remind me of Kate. Time will tell, though! what a happy little family!!

Yup, Daily Mail always puts out nice big pictures of these events. I always head there first for my Royal event photograhy viewing!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

All fruitcake is yucky :p

I used to work at a place where we did a name draw every Christmas, and the running joke was that someone would get the fruitcake. Whoever got it threw it in a desk drawer and regifted it the following year. That was close to 20 years ago but I bet that thing is still making the rounds :lol:

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's how my uncle made my parents' wedding cake: he soaked fruit in brandy for nine months in my grandmother's basement in Bayonne, NJ before he used it for the cake. He didn't soak it afterwards, though.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  30. Wyliefan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.