Royalty Thread #5 - Kate Now Officially A MILF

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, Beatrice has been rumored to be marrying her boyfriend (Dave Clark) forever, and he's pretty well-off, so she shouldn't have money troubles and can continue with whatever sort of work she wants to do (I think she's worked in finance alongside doing charity work), and Eugenie is supposed to start a job at an auction house soon. They both graduated with 2:1 degrees as far as I know.

I don't get the impression that they expect to be full-time royals for the rest of their lives.

2. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Charles has said that he plans to scale down the "firm," and many believe that he plans to cut out Andrew's daughters.

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't know if it has much to do with Charles. Anything slightly controversial is always blamed at him, but look at who was on the balcony for the end of Jubilee celebrations last year. It was the Queen (Phillip was ill), Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry.

Charles has no power yet. That was the Queen's work. That's why she's the Queen :hat1:

And even if it was Charles...it makes sense. William's family is growing, Harry may eventually settle down too, and the balcony will be populated once more.

4. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Sure, it could be the Queen who wants to scale back on who gets the goods, and the kids of a nefarious next-in-line are the place to start. We're all descended from someone important; the lucky few get the titles, the rest of us are relegated to babbling about our family tartans at Ren Faires with our fellow cast-offs.

5. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Some of us don't even *have* a family tartan. :wuzrobbed:

6. heckles

heckles Banned Member

No worries, you still have a place at the Ren Faire. Just drop 20 bucks with the guy selling mugs with your authentic family crest that hangs above your ancestral castle in Bavaria (read: he drew it on his laptop and uses the same one with 254 other surnames).

7. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

A few years ago someone offered to sell us a drawing of our "family coat of arms"- my Dad's response was "Coat of Arms? In our family we were lucky if we had a coat!"

8. heckles

heckles Banned Member

:lol: Not to mention that the bestowing of a crest on one man at some point in Eurotrash history in no way implies that his tawdry little descendents, who have since fanned out to equally garish colonies, have claim to such symbols.

9. Alixana

I'd love to see what a Portuguese/Japanese family tartan looks like!! :rofl:

10. heckles

heckles Banned Member

The Japanese are one of the cultures in which the family emblem actually is passed to descendents, but most of them consist of water chestnuts, chrysanthemum blossoms and other frilly symbols, so they're kept in the closet along with the geisha-wear. If you're Portuguese, you already have the world's best dessert wine, so imbibe with a glass sipper as you titter at the silly Gaels buying their hideous $20 mugs with fake crests.

11. Alixana

On a serious note, the Japanese part of my family history is 3 generations ago so I don't know much about our family emblem .. it's something that I'm trying to learn more about to pass on to my twins. But I'm certainly familiar with the Portuguese dessert wine and those deadly fattening custard tarts.

ETA: totally off topic, I know :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

13. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or has William gotten significantly balder since the wedding? All men who have the baldness gene naturally get balder over time, but it looks like it's been really fast over the last two years--faster than his father certainly.

14. halffull

halffull Let the decorating begin :)

Katie is looking lovely as always, motherhood agrees with her :)

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    She looks wonderful; perfect for the occasion.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  16. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It was very thoughtful of Kate to make her first appearance in Wales where they have made their home for the last 4 years. A very nice way to say thank you for the privacy and support.

17. halffull

halffull Let the decorating begin :)

Good point mag :) That community has been wonderful to them.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that an Act of Parliament would still be required:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marriages_Act_of_1772#Exemption_of_the_former_Edward_VIII

But he might be able to do it some day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marriages_Act_of_1772#Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  20. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Must be a slow news day .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-changed-university-close-Prince-William.html

I thought the whole university thing was old news. It seemed pretty common knowledge that she choose St. Andrew's because that's where William was going. I'm sure there were MANY women who did exactly the same thing. Getting into the same uni is a far cry from actually marrying the guy. I'm sure there was/is more to their relationship than just that.

Quite funny too about an ultimatum. Maybe about getting married, who knows, but about children? This is one of the few guys on the face of the earth who a woman is guaranteed will want children when he gets married. There seems to be quite the contingent of people out there who just can't stand that William choose Kate. I hope she doesn't read this kind of "news" paper.

21. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I doubt any of that is true. I'm sure he could have married virtually any other St Andrew's student and the DM would have concocted this sort of story.

I've said it before: it is ridiculous that Kate who met her Prince in very normal circumstances is the one accused of being a social climber with a scheming family when it was William's mother who had the family scheming to ensure that one of their daughters married the heir to the throne. What a difference a title makes.

22. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

:huh: William's mother was dead.

Anyone who believes a word of any story in the Daily Mail deserves to be fooled. I changed colleges myself as did thousands of other students, for a variety of reasons. The offchance that one might meet someone famous is hardly one of them.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Guys...read the article. You're right to be sceptical about the Daily Mail, but in fact the DM is just summarising what's in a new book. That's why this is back in the news.

24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The reference made by PDilemma was to the Spencer family's alleged scheming to have one of their daughters marry Charles (who had previously dated Diana's sister).

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sounds like the author found out that Kate had switched schools and decided to make a book of it - not much else there that's new. A mother met with her daughter's son to discuss their future? The couple got together after their break up to discuss the relationship? They both decided they wanted children? That could be a book about any of a million couples, whoop de doo.

For that matter, what if she did switch schools to be near him, if they had met before? Wouldn't be the first time someone chose or switched schools to be near a friend or someone they liked, won't be the last.

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Much ado about very little, IMO.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

28. Alixana

Dunno why but the transition between William and Kate and schools to Richard III and worms just had me :rofl: and spitting out my water. Thanks!! :rofl:

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

In their engagement interview, they are asked about their meeting at St Andrew's and their answers indicate that they first met there in the dorm as has long been reported. They had no reason to lie in that interview, so that alone would prove that the DM and the book's author is just making stuff up for web hits/book sales. And, really, if she specifically went to St Andrew's planning to date and marry him, why was she dating someone else her first year? Being unavailable is a pretty big risk, isn't it?

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I wonder, though, if they were at the same parties prior to school starting and didn't get introduced to each other. She would have known he was there, of course, but he would have no way of knowing she was there because he didn't know her. That would account for her saying that they'd 'met' prior to college.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.