Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

By the time Kate's kids are old enough to inherit they may be fighting over who isn't the heir. And if there are boy/girl twins, in a C section situation IMO they should deliberately take the boy out first. I have often thought it would be a terrible burden for a girl. Besides, siblings of the heir seem to have all the fun.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Great Grandma has done just fine, burden and all. Nothing makes it inherently more of a burden for a woman. Particularly in a country whose longest reigning and most successful monarchs have been women.

3. redonthehead

redonthehead Well-Known Member

Lol Brings back memories...I was told that my second child was a girl by my dr during my ultrasound. When my midwife caught the baby, she said "__________ this baby is a boy The nurse in the delivery room said "what was it supposed to be?" Midwife, my sister in law and myself all said at the same time "a Girl!" Love my second "girl" though and would not trade a single second with my son to have had him be a girl.

With my daughter, I was so sick that I lost 25 pds in 3 months. Gained and lost 3 pounds until the last 3 weeks I was pregnant and ended up gaining 6 pounds total. She weighed 6 pds 7 oz. I came out of that pregnancy weighing a total of 40 pds less than when I got pregnant. It's so not fun when how close to a toliet you are runs your life or when all you've been able to put in your mouth all day has been seven up or sprite and then you throw that up too. I was told constantly that it had to be a girl because little girls only made their moms that sick because of the female hormones in both (even my dr predicted early in pregnancy that she was a girl because of the sickness). She was a great baby. Now, not so much! Lol

I did it again even knowing what I was setting myself up against. Wasn't quite as sick but lost 20 pds and gain 10 back. He weighed 6 pds 2 oz. Weighed 25 pds less from start of pregnancy when I delivered.

4. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I would agree with that. It's no harder for a woman than it is for a man. And women do it very well indeed. And modern monarchy, which is more social than political may be more suited to women than men.

5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I suppose one could argue that being the consort is harder for men than woman. I think in Prince Phillip's case it has been difficult. His generation was so accustomed to the man being in charge. By the time William and Kate's little squeak is old enough to marry, who knows how things between men and women will be.

6. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I think if you were to ask an average person to name some British monarchs, they would probably name both Elizabeth's, Victoria and Henry VIII.

7. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Are there twins in Kate's family? That would certainly up the stakes in that department.

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I think that was what was in my mind. When I was a kid it was pretty much common knowledge that Elizabeth & Phillip had an arranged marriage & that he was not a devoted husband....in fact he was pretty much a playboy. Would he have married her otherwise?

I think it would be hard to be a powerful woman with a spouse who has no power at all, esp if you have doubts about whether he really wanted to marry you. On second thought, it wasn't any better when the man was the royal in the case of Charles & Diana. (It was pretty clear she was hand-picked & that both Charles & Diana talked themselves into "oh we're so in love" when they weren't in the least.)

9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Well, common knowledge isn't always accurate, of course, otherwise the "virginity tests" that Diana supposedly underwent would have been true. ;)

It has been written in several sources that the Queen had a crush on Philip from the time she was about 13. He didn't notice her, of course until much later, as he was a young naval cadet at the time. It certainly was not arranged- in fact her father , while not exactly opposing the match, certainly wanted to delay it a bit- he thought she was too young. Who supposedly did the arranging? Not his parents, as they were out of the picture. I'm sure Mountbatten (Philip's uncle) did some nudging, as was his wont, but he could hardly do more that encourage it- he was not exactly central to her side of the family at that time. Philip, being without much except a promising career (no money, coming from a broken family home of an exiled family) could hardly have done better, marriage-wise. But there is no evidence that they were not in love at the time.

As for his playboy ways- whatever he was before he married (and there is no long string of former lovers telling their tales), he has been utterly discreet during the marriage. He may or may not have had lovers, but the press hasn't been able to find any, and the gutter press has probably been looking.

His position has been a difficult one for an alpha male of his generation, but I think he and the Queen have somewhat worked it out- she lets him run the family in private, while she leads in the public role. I seems to work for them, and 60 years of an enduring marriage is quite an accomplishment.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The length of their marriage is not proof. A divorce would have been unthinkable for them. I'm not saying either of them wanted one but I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that Phillip hasn't always been a good boy.

11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Maybe, maybe not. I don't have enough info either way. But just maybe the Queen hasn't always been a good girl either? ;)

But then, there are plenty of happy and successful marriages where one or both partners have strayed occasionally, especially in their social circles. Lord Mountbatten adored Edwina until the day she died (much too young), and he never remarried, despite the fact that both had other lovers.

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

After the horrific and tragic events of yesterday, I'm so happy to share the news we have another Royal Wedding to look forward to...

Luxembourg News ~ Engagement Announced

Felix is the younger brother of Guillaume, whose incredable and grand Wedding we all followed back in October.

Congratulations to Felix and Claire!! May they have a long life together filled w/much happiness and blessings!!

Also a Thank You for giving us all something happy to think about today.

13. AragornElessar

When all of us were stunned to our cores by the horrific events of Friday, a Little Princess was being welcomed into the World...

Prince Amedeo and Princess Olga of Savoy welcomed their third child, but first daughter, on Friday. HLRH's names have not yet been released.

This news was kept *very* private by the wishes of TRH and the Family respected those wishes. Why they decided to do things this way, don't know, but happy that everyone is healthy, happy and a new little Princess has joined us all.

Welcome to the World Little One!! :D

14. AragornElessar

Daily Mail ~ Princess Eugenie compares scars with young patients as as she revisits the hospital where she underwent spine surgery as a child

I love how she did that for those kids. If a Princess isn't afraid to show her scar, then those kids certainly won't be and if anyone says anything about it, then they've sure got one heck of a comebacker for those idiots.

Three cheers for HRH!! :D :D :D

15. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's lovely! What a wonderful thing to do for those kids :)

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Queen Elizabeth attends Cabinet meeting

:)

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I hope this is true - US Weekly reporting that the Queen has invited Kate's parents to Sandringham for Christmas! Perhaps William has put his foot down and said he'd be with Kate no matter what, who understandably might want to be with her family. No word on James and Pippa.

20. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I have been impressed with how William has stood up for Kate in many things and seems to get his way. That boy does what he likes and seems very unlike his father in that regard.

21. mag

mag Well-Known Member

IDK, I think Charles does exactly what he likes as well. It is just when those choices are unpopular, we are lead to believe it wasn't up to him.

22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

To think that this is all William's doing....

Yeah. Not at all likely. The Queen makes her own choices. And it has been reported frequently that she likes the Middletons. She has previously invited them to events such as Ascot--an event William and Kate were not at.

As for Charles, by all accounts he has been instrumental in Kate being allowed to ease into royal duties.

The reality is not that William is such a tough guy but rather that the elder members of his family may have learned something from a generation of failed marriages.

(Never mind that 1) we don't know if this is true and 2) William can't invite people to his grandmother's Christmas celebration without her consent unless he is an immensely rude and thoughtless young man. The second would be true even if she were the Queen of nothing at all.)

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I recall pictures of Kate and Charles at a charity event and they looked like they were having a relaxed fun time together, and I read that they sometimes go to art-related events together without their spouses as a shared interest. I also noted especially during the Thames pageant when we saw a lot of footage of the Royal Family that Kate and Camilla seemed to enjoy each other's company too.

My bet is that after all Charles went through with Diana then Camilla, he's made an effort to be a supportive father and father in law, and yes, he might have some say in making recommendations to the Queen, and supporting ideas of both his son and mother.

24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

She looks really lovely without pounds of makeup on and a weird hairdo and clothing! (Had no idea she'd had spinal surgery, but I guess the press paid more attention to her partying Mum than her?)

And PS: How did I never notice that Princess Michael is married to a guy named. . . Michael? How do they know who gets the mail that's addressed to "Michael"?

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I read it years ago, in an article about another visit to one of these hospitals.

26. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

Her name is Marie Christine. Since she's not Royal by birth she takes his name, Michael of Kent. He's the Prince, she's the Princess.

Think of it like Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh my, call me ignorant. I get it. How. . . traditional??? Why did I always think that *she* was the royal one?? Eh, whatevs.

28. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

She's from an aristocratic Austrian-German family. Her father was a Baron.

29. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Probably apocryphal, but I think there was a quote from a member of the royal family about Princess Michael- "She's far too grand for the likes of us".

30. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I made my remark about Charles re:history, not current events. It's been said many times before that Charles didn't stand up for himself when younger and gave in to his father's pressure to marry, but that's all water under the bridge. OTOH, William took his time and by all accounts stands up to courtiers etc.. Charles became a very supportive father and father in law and, with that support, William is able to be this way. Of course, in many things final decisions rest with the Queen, but I think her respect for William, as well as a changing world, makes her more open to bending rules than she has in the past...(and the fact that she is a loving grandmother.)

I've always liked Princess Eugenie. I think she resembles her great grandmother, the Queen Mother, very much from when she was young. I knew about her surgery when she was a child, but the press didn't really linger on it much, which was a good thing. No young girl at that age probably wants the whole world to know that sort of thing and now she's in a position to be a positive supporter of others undergoing similar things. Good for her to embrace the role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.