Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was watching Anderson's daytime show and this was part of the First 15. Megan McCain was his Co Host and she was saying as someone who lived under Secret Service Protection for a portion of her life, no way would that happened in the US.

Considering the screw up the Secret Service were outed for earlier this year, not so sure I'd be using them as your point of reference...Anyway...

I also have a feeling not only will someone be fired over this, but that Radio Show in Australia will be getting a call from Will and Kate's Lawyers too.

I would *not* have wanted to be around William when he heard about this happening...*shudder*

eta ~ Just saw the story on this on Toronto CTV's Supper Hour cast and Edward and Sophie came to visit for a little while today. They also stopped to talk to the Press and Edward talks about a good friend of theirs went through this and they would not wish this on anyone.

Nice to see some of the Family coming to visit. This also reinforces a hunch of mine if this is a little Princess, one of the names will be Sophie. We all read the stories about how Sophie helped out Kate during the Engagement and it was obvious during the Paralympics they enjoy each other's company and are close.

If not, then the Countess will be a Godmother, but you read it here first. If it's a Princess, there will be some connection to Sophie in some way.

Just a hunch though. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that the Duchess feels better and is able to be released from hospital, soon.
    All of the uproar can't make the situation easier for her.

3. AragornElessar

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

They were not at the hospital, but rather outside an event they were attending today. They have not yet been to the hospital. Kate's parents have, though, as well as Pippa and James.

5. AragornElessar

That's not how CTV spun it and I did think things didn't look quite right from the pictures of William leaving, but since I've never been to London and don't know the area...

Thanks for the correction and setting things straight. :)

6. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

If the baby is a girl, I am betting the names Victoria & Elizabeth are going to be in there.

Also, I think they'll stop at two names, like "normal" people.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Elizabeth absolutely. Just about all if not every first born girl in the current Royal Family has the name - gotta honour the reigning Queen :) Plus, it's Kate's middle name, and her mothers. Slam dunk I think.

Personally, I'm banking on Charlotte Frances Elizabeth. Charlotte honours William's father, who will be the king as the child is growing up. Plus, it's a good royal name that will befit the future Queen of England, and as a bonus for Kate, it's her sister's middle name. Frances of course is a nice way to honour William's mother without it being blatant, and better yet, the male form is Kate's father's middle name, and his father's as well.

I like the idea of getting Sophie in there, but have they really been that close? Plus she has no pedigree. Fine for a second child, but not for a future monarch. I think even as a godmother - can't recall who are William's and Harry's godparents, but I'm thinking the appointment is somewhat political, an honour bestowed, or am I wrong?

If it's a boy, I'm not sure. I definitely see Charles of course as one of the names, but not first. I see Philip, especially as William's grandfather is very old and ailing, and it would no doubt please grandma. Plus again, Kate can take a little pride in it being her sister's name. But for the first name? The future King of England? Definitely a name that has already been king I think, but maybe something less used - John or Stephen perhaps.

9. PDilemma

I really doubt it would be John.
    William's godparents are:

King Constantine II of Greece
    Princess Alexandra
    The Duchess of Westminster
    Lady Susan Hussey
    Lord Romsey
    Sir Laurens van der Post

I don't see Pippa or Harry in line for that role. As someone said, the designations are somewhere political.

I also don't see the Queen or Prince Charles agreeing to anything like just two names in order to be modern or nontraditional. Maybe when baby number two comes along. But not for the future sovereign. A modern monarchy does not mean a monarchy that abandons tradition. Elizabeth is a bit low on names (three). On the other end of the spectrum, her uncle Edward VIII (the Duke of Windsor) had seven.

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, let's not go the way of the Duke of Windsor--I believe his great-granny named him and geez, she went overboard.

Speaking of him, I'm willing to bet "David" is off the table as a name. I'm not certain the Queen ever entirely forgave him and that's the name used by the family.

Though from that generation, while neither's hugely popular as a general-public baby name, George or Albert somewhere in a boy's name would be a nice nod to William's great-grandfather, and "George" is one of Charles's middle names.

11. PDilemma

I think George may well be on the short list for the first name for a boy. And I agree that Phillip is highly likely to be a middle name.

They may branch out a bit more for a girl. Personally, I like Charlotte. I also wonder if Alexandra is a possibility. It is the Queen's second name and Victoria's actual first name was a variation of it (Alexandrina).

12. AragornElessar

13. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they could choose a somewhat unique first name and then add all the family names afterwards. It seems like there's been so many kings and queens named George, Phillip, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Victoria, etc.. Or, even if there was only one, they were pretty famous historically. This kid is going to be a future Monarch...it would be nice if they could have a name that will stand the test of time historically and not get muddled with anyone else's.

But that is the opinion of this Britainically (is that even a word?) uneducated American. :p ;)

14. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I think the nurse would be in more trouble, because she's the one who gave out details without checking who it was.

There was a similar case a few years ago in Australia where some tv show pranksters from a show called 'The Chaser' imitated the Canadian motorcade and got through security. They were arrested, but the charges were thrown out of court because any reasonable policeman should have seen that they were obviously, and comically, frauds. It's the same here. They put on fake accents and were going on about Corgis - they never expected to be put through. Surely the hospital should have known the media would be calling? Their original statement clearly indicates damage control.

It was also vetted by lawyers before being put on air.

I totally agree that it was in poor taste and that the royals have every right to be furious, but fired? Legal action? Doubtful. The worldwide publicity is a dream for the radio station, it's not illegal and there's been no comment from the Palace, leading me to think they don't care as much as the rest of the media do :shuffle: A phone call the hospital should have anticipated isn't the same as nude photos taken and published without knowledge or consent.

15. AragornElessar

Since I had to get up for a bathroom visit, decided to do a quick check of things and Kate has been discharged. She's back at Kensington Palace for "a period of rest".

16. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Pix and video of their departure from the hospital.

The poor dear! She looks sooo hungry. I just wanna hug them, they're too precious. :)

17. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Glad that she's been released.

As for the DJ fiasco, I don't blame the nurse that much either and hope she doesn't lose her job. It's not like she gave out much private info. Everyone knew why Kate was in there and what kind of treatment she received (IV) so it's not like what was given out wasn't already in the public domain. She passed an uneventful night. Hmmm, not much in that. I find that the receptionist who put the call through did the main damage since she is the first line of "defense" so to speak.

I blame the DJs, but then they didnt' think they'd get through, so, can't really blame them either. It wasn't done maliciously, that's for sure.

I remember when the Quebec DJs got through to the Queen, with all the staff thinking it was Jean Chretien, lol!!

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Good point. Maybe she was so starstruck that the Queen was calling that she didn't stop to think. Family would probably have her mobile number... :lol:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

InStyle is speculating that their outfits leaving the hospital are a sign - both wearing royal blue!

21. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Since they originally wanted until the 12 week mark to make the announcement, I'd say, she's still less than 12 weeks, so could they possibly know the gender by now? From what I've heard not.

22. PDilemma

It sounds like they have known for about a month and she is probably around 7-8 weeks along. I don't think they know the gender. Even if they did, I doubt they would be dropping subtle hints via their own clothing. Plus you have to figure that what she had on was brought to the hospital for her to wear home and likely not meticulously planned.

The press has just gone batty. I saw a slide show of "how Kate hid her bump" online yesterday. It included photos of her from as long ago as last March. She isn't showing now. Let alone was she showing early last spring when she was not pregnant.

Then there are all the other commenters around the web. Some people around the royal discussions on FB and forums romanticize her and William's relationship so much it crosses the line to nauseating. I just read an absolutely serious discussion of how he surely wanted to carry her out of the hospital but his mean grandma's no PDA rules forced him to let her walk. And he is also going to personally beat up any paparazzi who bother her. Because that is the personality William has shown to the public for his whole life, an overly emotional dramatic guy who carries around women who are perfectly capable of walking and gets in fist fights. And never mind the totally Victorian patriarchal implications of all of that. Poor fragile little Kate, entering her confinement don't you know, certainly can't walk.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It was just a bit of fun, no need to get all technical about it :p

24. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Speculation is that she is approx 8 weeks pregnant - which would explain why they wanted to wait until Christmas to tell family!! I thought that it wasn't usually possible to tell the gender of an unborn baby until around the 20 weeks mark so I would guess that the colour of their outfits is just what they wanted to wear - nothing else ;)

Glad she is home and I hope relaxing - she looked very pale and tierd as she left but I guess that is what throwing up all day for the past 3-4 days will do to you :)

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:lol: I think people forget that they're real people. Carrying your pregnant wife out of hospital is probably more dangerous than letting her walk. What if you drop her? ;)

26. PDilemma

I think a lot of these women are constructing a lot of fairy tale fantasies around this couple. It makes me wonder what their own lives and relationships are like. I'm guessing they are either unhappily single or their relationships are not very fulfilling. All these crazy fantasies of William being Prince Charming and Kate some cross between Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty distract them from that. One of them never uses Kate's name, she refers to her as "William's duchess" or "William's beautiful duchess". Which creeps the egalitarian in me out probably more than it should.

27. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Wasn't that the same coat she wore Friday? Maybe that's the only one she had with her.

And how funny is it that I can remember what Kate wore last Friday but have no idea what I wore! :rofl:

28. PDilemma

She wore a Black Watch plaid coat dress on Friday. That was a regular coat over something else. So it wasn't the same one.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is why I'm content to stick to our little royalty group here at FSU :)

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I have the same question about women who the idealize the relationships in Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.