Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The law for changing primogeniture was proposed well before Kate was pregnant. It was proposed by the Commonwealth nations in October, 2011. Note the date on this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sh-Royal-family-scrapped-by-Commonwealth.html

2. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

My mistake, I thought it was after she got pregnant. See how time flies? Anyway the baby is a girl who will be named Alice. (I think.)

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

wrong thread

4. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

5. PDilemma

A spokesperson also said a couple of weeks ago when they gave the details of where the baby will be born and how the birth will be announced that William & Kate chose not to find out if it is a boy or girl.

I still think it is a boy. I want it to be a girl, but it seems everyone does so it will be a boy.

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it's a girl simply because pilots tend to have more girls than boys.

I'm still hoping for boy because everyone wants them to have a girl...

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I've never seen any real evidence that this is actually true.

Anyway, I don't particularly care if they have a boy or a girl. It has no effect on me ;) but for their sake I hope it'll be a healthy baby and that they'll enjoy being parents, regardless of its sex.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sex is determined by the father, no? He is one of two brothers, his father has two brothers and one sister, but his grandfather has four sisters and no brothers. Based on genetics, I'd go with boy, but pretty good shot for a girl too.

I like Alice very much - it would be a great name for a second daughter, given that the first one is going to be Charlotte Frances Elizabeth ;)

10. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Even if Earl Spencer has a baby girl named Charlotte?

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think that matters. She may be William's cousin, but the Earl's family is well outside the circle.

I wonder how much William and Harry see of their uncle, aunt and cousins these days. I recall at Diana's funeral the Earl said so clearly that he would be taking responsibility for continuing Diana's legacy with the boys, and yet you never hear about them in the same breath, and they are never photographed together, mentions of holiday visits etc.

12. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't think the royals are any fonder of the Spencers than they are of the Middletons. Probably less - they have to put up with the Middletons but they can choose to distance from the Spencers.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Why do you think they don't like the Middletons?

14. PDilemma

It has actually been reported that the Queen likes Kate's parents very much. They were invited to the royal box at Ascot last year when Kate and William were not present.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's what I thought too - and haven't they also been to Balmoral or Sandringham? Those are the family's very private residences, so an invite there means a lot.

16. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think it is more fun for people (not taf) to speculate how terrible the Middletons are. That they are social climbing, money grubbing, pushed their daughter into Prince Williams arms, kind of people. I don't know them personally, but they seem like a nice healthy family and they seem to have raised their kids so they are capable of healthy relationships. That is way more than can be said about the Spencers. (Although Sarah and Jane appear to be okay now)

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I think they started out liking the Middletons & I don't think the Middleton's pushed their daughter into Prince William's arms. Didn't Will & Kate meet in college? It's just that since the wedding there have been a few embarassments & a few social climbing incidents, esp with Pippa. But they may like the Middletons just fine. However I've always gotten the impressions that they didn't think much of the Spencers. BTW, I read that Pippa was recently told to "tone it down" in regards to her attention-grabbing ways - I don't know how true that is.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  18. Zemgirl

They don't seem particularly close, though I believe that their older Spencer cousins live in South Africa and have for years, so it's not like everyone can just pop over for a visit. No idea about their relationship with the Fellowes and McCorquodale families, but they do go to the weddings, at least ;)

19. PDilemma

I recall that article, but it was not from a reputable source and this is not the absolute monarchy of old--they can't go telling any citizens how to comport themselves. Pippa doesn't seem to be grabbing for attention all that much. The book she published is related to her parents' business where she works. The poor woman is just trying to live her life and there is paparazzi waiting on the sidewalk every time she goes outside. I don't really think she can be blamed.

My mom and I were talking yesterday about the irony of a nice normal family like the Middletons being accused of social climbing and trying to marry their daughter into the royal family while the Spencers had worked hard to put their daughters in the path of the princes in order to achieve just that. Seems the press is confused by titles and missed who the real climbers were.

20. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

21. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Great news! Nice for this baby and the Cambridge baby to be so close in age.

22. PDilemma

All the great grandchildren will be pretty close together with one each year for a stretch now. Savannah was born in 2010, then a one year break, then Isla in 2012, baby Cambridge in 2013, and baby Tindall in 2014.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

24. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

25. Zemgirl

It's definitely a tradeoff between the many advantages such a position entails and the many restrictions and expectations. For instance, I bet Kate's wedding dress was not the sort of thing she'd have picked if she were marrying a non-royal (I suspect Pippa's dress was more to her taste). And the name might not be what they'd choose if the baby weren't about to become third in line to the throne and a future monarch. Zara will be able to choose something more adventurous, no doubt.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In some ways it might be a relief to have it all laid out like that, rather than worrying which family members will be offended if they don't get called first or the child isn't named after them or who gets to decide who attends a shower etc etc. Sometimes regular families can be a royal pain :lol:

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PDilemma

You know, though, sure, he will call his grandmother as protocol requires. That doesn't mean he won't text his brother or call her parents on a cell phone first. We simply do not know. Neither does the Daily Mail. Especially not the Daily Mail!

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess the Daily Mail doesn't get much respect, but I do very much appreciate all the great images of the royals they give us :)

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Yeah, but how intrusive are they to get those images?

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know - the ones I'm talking about are always from public events or times they are out in public, such as on their way into weddings, as in the link I just posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.