Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I meant one - I was questioning why anyone would encourage the princess who would become Elizabeth II to choose one of her other less illustrious names instead of her first name. As a princess, she shared her mother's name; as a queen, she pairs herself with one of the greatest monarchs of England. If it was her choice against advice, then I applaud her wisdom, and her making a stand on something so important right from the beginning of her reign.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about naming the new baby Elizabeth after II. :shuffle:

Glad we agree on I though!

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

4. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I have read that both Elizabeth and Margaret Rose were born by caesarean section. At that time, women were discouraged from having more than 2 C Sections because of the chance of a ruptured uterus along the incision line. So there was no chance at all that Bertie/George and Elizabeth would have undertaken another pregnancy after he became King. I believe there was also a bit of difficulty in achieving a pregnancy, due to a certain physical abnormality on the part of Bertie/George.

5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I would agree with this- I'd like to know who made the suggestions, and if there was any actual "pressure" or if it was merely posed as a question- i.e. you don't have to use your first name you know?

And why on earth would anyone argue that either of her other names be any better? You could just as easily argue that had she taken the name Mary and ruled as Mary lll it would have brought up memories of Mary l (Bloody Mary) whose husband (A Philip by the way!) helped bring in the persecution and burning of Protestants, or Mary ll- a sweet woman, but essentially a cypher. And Alexandra- well Queen Alexandra was popular, but hardly the sharpest tool in the shed, and of course there were recent memories of her cousin Tsarina Alexandra and her terrible fate in Russia.

And of course there were precedents for not ruling with ones first name. Queen Victoria wanted her eldest son to rule as King Albert Edward, but once she died, he had his own ideas and went with the more English and traditional name. George Vl- well it was important after the abdication to emphasize tradition and continuity, so he went with one of his middle names instead of Albert.

6. dardar1126

For fun...via Twitter:

7. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Well then, if baby Cambridge isn't D'estinee Nevaeh Unique Madysyn (my first suggestion) she should be, using those suggestions- Boudicca Frideswide Gladys Myrtle (has a ring to it, doesn't it- Princess Boo for short?)

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II#Accession_and_coronation

According to :sekret:, it is very bad form for a private secretary to pressure the heiress presumptive to choose a different name as her regnal name lest :glamor: quickly turn into :drama:.

So, I'll make an educated guess an say that no one pressured her and that certain authors or their "sources" made things up because they wanted to sound knowledgeable and interesting.

:shuffle:

9. dardar1126

Twitter:

10. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Ridiculous!

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Will she (or her nanny) allow baby to cry it out or will she/they tend to every whimper? Will she put the baby on its back to prevent SIDS or will she be horribly irresponsible and put it to sleep on its head??!!! Will she get all recommended vaccinations on time or will she delay, or will she not do them at all and go on to campaign against vaccinations? Will she feed the baby food made in Britain or give it undercooked beef doomed to give the child mad cow disease? Will the child wear organic all-natural clothing made in Britain or fake polyester made by 2-year-olds in a Burmese sweatshop? fer cryin' out loud. . . like all other mothers, she's gonna have a LOT of advice & criticism to tune out--more than most moms. I hope she and William have a LOT of strength to tell everyone to shut the heck up and let them make their own decisions regarding parenting.

I say they go for Frideswide Boadicea. Ain't nobody gonna mess with Queen Fridey Bo.

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wasn't it King Friday, Prince Tuesday .... I can't remember the queen's name.

14. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Oh but, Alexandria sounds so Regal, doesn't it.

15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:lol: Poor Queen Sara Saturday. :( And it was King Friday XIII.

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Hopefully, it will be a bit of comfort to new moms around the world that while they are getting unsolicited advice, at least it doesn't come in the form of newspaper op-eds.

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  17. dardar1126

Twitter:

18. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yuck. Traditional names are nicest. And it's probably because the only Estelle I know is a lady of a certain age, but "Estelle" sounds "old-woman" to me. Even though I rationally know at some point all elderly people were young, I can't imagine naming a child a name that sound elderly to me.

Names I can see NOT using: David (the Queen probably still has mixed feelings at best about her Uncle David), Albert (despite that one being the family name to end all family names), James (too Stuart), Charles as a first name. (There's some issue about whether Charles, Prince of Wales will rule as King Charles III as that's said to be bad luck--supposedly, the story goes, Charles III will mean the end of the monarchy.) For girls, if they really did try to nudge HM away from Elizabeth, to keep Elizabeth I unique, I bet "Victoria" is off the table, too, even if that's a really obvious one to honor. Diana is probably a no for reasons stated.

I could see George and Philip being in there (for George VI and Prince Philip), Charlotte, Frances, Elizabeth and Alexandra in as middle names....Arthur is another one that hasn't been used in a while, likewise John (though there's only been one King John and while he gets a bad rap more than deserved, he wasn't very popular, though there's also David and Bertie's brother the "lost prince"...)

20. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I took a look at the 'very British names' and I have always loved the name Olivia. No pressure Princess Catherine!! ;)

Is Lettice a common name over there right now. I kinda like that name too. :D

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Traditional names are nicest but only if they're not old fashioned? Is that not the point of a traditional name, to be kind of old school? :confused:

I like Estelle (and her other names are good too - Silvia Ewa Mary) and I like the Dutch princesses' names (Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane). Note that even the British royal family has some less traditional names - Zara Phillips, Savannah and Isla Phillips, and to a lesser extent, Princess Eugenie. Though of course, none of them are expected to be future monarchs.

She is not Princess Catherine. If one were to call the Duchess of Cambridge Princess, it would actually be Princess William.

22. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Well if you want to get anal about it it would actually be Her Royal Highness Princess William. ;)

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Perhaps when William gains the throne he'll abolish the British custom of the wife of a prince being called HRH Princess <husband's name>, since it is rather clear that none of the women involved in this generation (or the prior, for the most part) have any liking for that practice. How did Britain come to do that when it seems that many of the European monarchies do not?

24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Actually, she is HRH Princess Catherine...of Scotland. When it comes to the Scottish "rules", when a woman marries into the Scottish Royal Family, she takes the title of her husband in her own right. Just like the two Marys of Denmark who are Princesses of Denmark in their own right.

Someone over at The Royal Forums posted about a couple of years ago, which is how I learned about it. :)

BTW we did have a Royal Birth yesterday. Princess Aimee and Prince Floris of The Netherlands were blessed w/a healthy baby boy yesterday. A Grandson for Princess Margriet and Prof Pieter van Vollenhoven.

A Dutch Princess born in Canada now has a Grandchild born on Canada Day? Rather fitting IMO. :D

Congratulations to the Dutch Royal Family!!!

25. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

26. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

As Kate is a member of the British Royal family I am not sure the Scottish rule follows especially as the Scottish and English crowns were united in 1603 with the succession of James the 6th of Scotland to the English throne being known thereafter as King James the 1st of England and Scotland.

According to the official website of the British Monarchy Catherine Middleton became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus upon her wedding to Prince William who was bestowed the titles by the Queen that day. She could also be known as Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales. She would only become a Princess in her own right with the issuance of Letters Patent by the Queen - which some feel may come soon after the birth of her first child :)

Well now Diana's birthday has come and gone I am officially looking forwards to the birth now - it could happen at anytime and the press are already camping outside the hospital where the Duchess will give birth - they could be in for a long wait :)

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think we talked about this upthread. The Royal Family is pretty clear about when they use their various Scottish titles, and it's only when they are actually in Scotland and performing in an official capacity. Sort of like wearing particular uniforms in particular settings and for particular occasions - they may be entitled in the right circumstances, but they wouldn't do it when it wasn't appropriate.

28. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  29. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

My theory: they know it's a girl, which is why the primogeniture change. And I believe (for no particular reason) that the first name will be Alice.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I love the name Alice! They have my approval ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.