Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

2. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

watching the parade part of the coronation now and it seems to be going on forever.

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Damn!! We had Family here all day yesterday and afterwards, I was too tired to check here and...Grrrr!!

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Don't all parades? :lol:

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Look at how great William and Kate look at the 60th coronation festivities!

I love love love her ensemble - the very royal hat, the lovely timeless coat and dress, her favourite comfy heels. Has there every been a celebrity who looked better in maternity wear? Non!

And William! A lifetime of fancy dress has resulted in a man who looks fully at ease in his clothes, whether it's a uniform or tuxedo, or simply polo wear or a perfectly tailored suit with mirror-shined shoes. What a gorgeous couple!

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jenny, my thoughts exactly!

eta:

Their happiness is apparent.
    It's wonderful to see that,

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - with so many celebrity couples, they either look too busy focusing on their individual images, or they overdo it by slobbering all over each other, which is usually quickly followed by a breakup announcement. Or they trot out all the kids and never actually look at each other.

But William and Kate look like both the best of friends and the greatest love of their lives, completely at ease with each other, and as though commitments and position aside, there's no place else they'd rather be than together.

8. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

ITA, they both look great. Just because I have a weird memory, I notice that Kate is wearing the same hat she wore to the church service last year for the Jubilee. Furthermore, the fabric of this maternity dress looks to be the same as the fabric of the dress she wore with the hat last time. The outfit last year was, IMHO, one of her best, and this is, again IMHO, one of her best maternity looks.

ETA: Just checked What Kate Wore and the fabric is similar, but not exactly the same. The hat is the same one.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think kate looks great. it's not her day and she is dressed really appropriately. meanwhile bea came in a shiny navy bedazzled trench and her sister is wearing a lace aqua moto jacket that is 2 sizes too small. they really dont look right for the event. and as always QEII FTW!

11. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

Am I the only the one irritated by the article still calling her Kate Middleton and everyone else has their title? Why is she still Kate Middleton but it's Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall? Just the way it's written, bugs me.

"Kate Middleton has joined her hubby Prince William and family members Prince Harry, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall to mark the 60th anniversary of the Queen's Coronation."

Diana was always addressed with her royal title when she and Charles were married and Camilla and Sophie are addressed by theirs. Is it because their regular names were hyphenated and therefore longer than their royal titles and Kate Middleton rolls easier than, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?
    Sorry for the rant but she's now a royal...use her title!

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

The title thing bugs me as well. I suspect it has a lot to do with search engines. Articles usually include "Middleton" and "Duchess of Cambridge" to make sure both are picked up in a search. The Internet wasn't the same animal when Diana arrived on the scene. That said, people did call her Lady Di long after she was married, and apparently she hated the short form "Di" and anyone who actually knew her would never have used it.

13. dardar1126

I wonder if they treat her with such familiarity because she was a commoner before her marriage? :confused: But, of course, Princess Diana was treated similarly and she was an aristocrat. Maybe it's just a sign of the times that formality is falling by the wayside.

14. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I still see Camilla referred to as Camilla Parker-Bowles on occasion so I think it just depends on what publication on what day.

Or if you wanted to get really feminist about it you could say that the media still refers to Kate by her maiden name because even though she's married she shouldn't be called by her husband's name because that's so antiquated and she's her own person. Girl power! :lol: :saint:

Personally, I think they should refer to her as the Duchess of Cambridge, but TPTB in the media don't care what I think.

15. AragornElessar

I've been waiting for someone to say something about this. :D I noticed it too when I finally got to see some pictures earlier this afternoon.

BTW, beyond ticked off that after deciding to stay up since I was up already letting a burn to a certain part of my upper body area have a bit of time exposed to the air, (was pouring boiling water into a bowl for Instant Oatmeal almost a week and a half ago, Mom distracted me and....Yeah. Of all the places for that to happen....) not one of the sites I had links to for a free streaming of the Service worked. Not a single one!!! I finally gave up at 4:45am EST and after redressing the part of the burn still healing and needing covering, called it a night. Grrr!!!

No, it's not just you and I've been known to growl whenever i hear it too on occasion because it just should not be happening anymore. IMO, it's worse when my own Cdn broadcasters do it, because they really *should* know better, but nope. I call it lazy ass journalism. I actually heard someone say that if she wasn't called that, unless William was w/her, then no one would know her otherwise.

I shot this person a look and then proceeded to let them know my exact thoughts about that particular statement.

There's been one shot of Her Majesty from today that I just adore. She's leaving the Abbey and talking to the Archbishop of Canterbury I'm thinking. She just looks so happy and w/the light from outside just shining on her...She just looks fantastic and some of the best video I've seen of her.

God Save The Queen!!!

16. milanessa

I don't know - maybe that's how she wants to be known. Not everyone is enamored with titles or changes their names when they marry. I doubt anyone doesn't know she's a future queen.

17. AragornElessar

No, that's not it at all. If it was, then the Royal Household would call her that. As I said, nothing but Lazy Ass Journalism and nothing but that.

18. milanessa

Things change - even Royal households.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

20. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

A little bemused by the Daily Mail's headline: "Queen Steals the show..." Erm, isn't she the *star* of the show?

21. milanessa

:lol:

22. AragornElessar

Then show me one press release from the Royal Household since the Wedding where she's called "Kate Middleton". Go on. Go for it.

Good Luck though. You're going to need it.

23. milanessa

You really get your knickers in a twist whenever someone disagrees with you about the British royals. Communication from the palace is very formal and constrained - that doesn't mean anything when it comes to what she wants to be called or what she's called within the family. If it's offensive the palace would have said something. They are not shy about doing that.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

25. AragornElessar

When someone acts like a complete tool, don't be offended when you get called on it.

How many times do you need to be told that calling her by her maiden name is wrong and goes for the other Royal Ladies as well? Every single time this comes up in the you are the, who like a dog w/a bone, only one who keeps stirring the pot over it.

Well guess what, I can't be the only one fed up w/it. She should be referred to as either HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, HRH, The Duchess, Duchess Kate, even Princess Kate is fine as I've learned in Scotland when a woman marries into the Royal Family she gains the title of Princess of Scotland in her own right. Kate Middleton ceased to exist on April 29th, 2011 when she said "I will" at the alter of Westminster Abbey.

It's not a question of me getting upset when someone disagrees w/me BTW. What it is, is when someone continues to be so incredibly ignorant to the point of "I don't care what I'm being told, because it doesn't matter, as *I know I'm right!!" To me in the manner that you have done, then of course I'll call you on it.

Okay...Enough of this...

Reports from today in Sweden are that Valentino is responsible for designing Madeleline's Wedding Gown for Saturday. Of course the Court isn't commenting,but...He's been invited, so...Interesting.

Also confirmed is Charlene's attendance. Considering it's a White Tie Dress Code, which means Orders and Tiaras, am I hopefully wishing too much to think that maybe...Finally....See Charlene in an honest to goodness Tiara?

I have a feeling I am, but....There's always hope, right.

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

wow! That's quite the rant over a name and one that is not even yours.

While the royal household might not change easily, I would have hoped they learned something over the years and if the future Queen would want to retain her Middleton name, then so be it. Some people do want to retain their names that they were born with - just because you say she ceased to be on April 29, 2011 she might not feel the same way, no one ceases to be someone they once were/are unless they choose to be.. It might even be that she said I am not The Duchess, that was my mother in law.

However, if I was to do a search on Kate for any news/clips/scandal I would probably use Kate Middleton and not any of the titles you mentioned.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I would think it's a lot more lazy journalism. They've been calling her Kate Middleton for YEARS. They've only slowly, a bit grudgingly, come around on Camilla not being Camilla Parker-Bowles (though part of THAT, I'm sure, was holdover hostility, which the tabloids here at least still LOVE--"Evil Camilla Vows 'I Will Be Queen!'" I swear I am not making that headline up.) And of course, even though the "it's my mother-in-law" thing doesn't make any sense (there is always more than one Duchess in the family) I can see concerns that "Cambridge" and "Cornwall", both beginning with C, are confusing.

When William is Prince of Wales it'll be beside the point anyway because then they can FINALLY just use "Princess Kate" like they desperately have wanted to.

28. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Just catching up on the pics of HM Coronation service. A little disappointed in Sophie's outfit. Pretty but a little too informal imo.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If we're going to quibble about Middleton then it shouldn't be Kate either - when she became engaged, the palace did say that she would now be known as Catherine. I don't think I've ever seen anything from the palace that refers to her as Kate, and I don't think they'd sanction "Duchess Kate," and from what I've seen, the royals only use their Scottish titles when they are actually in Scotland, so Princess Kate doesn't seem right either.

But personally I think it's much ado about nothing. I do agree it's a bit of lazy journalism, but I also think there's an affection for her that makes people want to call her a "normal" name, and we can't forget the age of SEO either - there would be a lot less searches of Catherine Cambridge than Kate Middleton. If Middleton was used as a way to put down her roots or imply that she doesn't play the part of a married woman, or to shame William in some way, that would be one thing. But I read a lot of coverage of her, and it's 99% positive - in other words the context for saying Kate Middleton is always friendly and respectful of her as a person and supportive of her. I think it's a way for the public to embrace her as "ours," not just some piece of the royal pie. And I do see her referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge just as often as Kate or Kate Middleton.

For formal occasions and communications, yes I think it's important to get it right. But for every day media stories about fashions etc, informal communications and conversation, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

ETA - Just doing a little searching, and it appears that Prince William is no longer correct either. According to the British Monarchy website, it's:

This differs from his brother (and it's perhaps worth noting that since the palace has made it official that he is known as Prince Harry, we can perhaps infer that there is no official sanction for Kate in any form):

And here's a mouthful:

Here's Kate (yeah, I said it :)):

And Camilla:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Read on twitter that Prince Philip is back in the hospital for abdominal issues. At his age, any hospital stay is quite serious so wishing him the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.