Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Sophie gave a group of WWII era conscripts back their dignity today...

Telegraph ~ Countess of Wessex's tears for Bevin Boys

There's video w/that, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I have seen this one though...

YouTube ~ Bevin Boys memorial unveiled

...and had tears streaming down my cheeks after listening to the Gentleman who was a Bevin Boy. I can't even imagine what today means to those surviving Men.

I also can't wait to see Sophie's new necklace and soon too I hope. :)
  3. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Prince Harry is in Washington D.C. today and will be in NYC, New Jersey, and Connecticut later on in the week. The King and Queen of Sweden are also in NYC with Princess Madeleine and her fiancee and will be going to D.C. in the next few days on official business. And the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway were in Texas and California this past week. Apparently the European royals decided to all come visit at the same time.

Denmark? Spain? Luxembourg? Netherlands? Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? Niagara Falls? DisneyWorld? We can accommodate you!
  4. AragornElessar

Hey!! You guys share Niagara Falls w/us up here, so you'd have to share the visit in that case. ;)

Did anyone see the video of Harry w/the kids at the Tea Party at the White House? He is so wonderful w/kids. I wonder who he got that from...?

:)

Hello ~ Prince Harry's first stop on USA tour promotes cause close to his mother's heart

This has Michelle Obama's Welcome to the White House and "Surprise!!" to the Military Families attending the Tea Party who didn't know Harry was going to be there until he came out as the video w/this article....

Telegraph ~ Prince Harry arrives in Washington for start of US tour
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Alixana

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'd cut a bitch for kate's coat
  8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Me too, it's gorgeous!
    She looks amazing.
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not big on her hat, but I think Camilla's outfit is actually nicer than Kate's. Love the return of the coat dress!

The Queen's hat is cool though - very Mad Hatter :)
  10. skatesindreams

Camilla's outfit is "age/station appropriate", as is Catherine's.
    I love the youthful vibe, that doesn't scream "maternity" dressing.
  11. AragornElessar

I can't believe no one has posted anything about this before now....

Sweden won the World Hockey Championships on Home Ice last weekend. Monday, they were received by the Royal Family at the Palace, but a certain little toddler stole the show.

Mommy, let go of my hand so I can check out that thing over there!!!

Aftonbladet ~ Hockey ~ World Champions Meet Estelle and Royal Family

No idea if that's what the headline really says, but it's what's happening in the pictures. There are more than the one there, just click the Play button to see them all.

She is one adorable lil munckin!!! I'm starting to see a bit of Victoria in her face now Estelle's a wee bit older. She still favours Daniel big time, but I'm starting to see a bit of Victoria there too. Regardless, Estelle's one very happy little girl and that's the important thing. :)
  12. skatesindreams

They said that she "stole the show" by playing with the trophy.
    I'm sure the team will never forget their visit!
  13. floskate

floskate Vacant

There are a number of events happening this week to commemorate the Queen's 60th anniversary of her coronation. There will be a service of thanksgiving on Tuesday 4th June at Westminster Abbey as well as lots of TV specials but the real excitement is that BBC Parliament are broadcasting a digitally remastered version of the coronation in FULL this coming Sunday from 10.15am - 5.20pm, corresponding with the exact times of the original broadcast 60 years ago!!! I have a DVD of the official film (Laurence Olivier narration) and documentaries galore on DVD but to actually see the whole thing pan out like it was happening for real is something that all of us under 60+ have never experienced. I'm really looking forward to experiencing what my parents and grandparents always recalled as a very special day that they would never forget.

I have no idea if BBC parliament is even available on the net in the UK let alone outside but hopefully something will pop up after the fact.
  14. skatesindreams

Thanks so much for sharing the information, floskate!
    I hope that the remastered coverage of the Coronation can be captured; or made available on DVD.
    What a glorious thing to have such a historic record of the event.

No one could have imagined all which has occurred in the 60 years since that day.
  15. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Bringing Up Baby: Royal Edition Preview
    Barbara Walters reports on the highly anticipated arrival of a new heir to the British throne.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/bringing-baby-royal-edition-preview-19254946

20/20 - ABC - Monday, 05/27 - 10p EDT/9p CDT

EDIT:

20/20
    Bringing Up Baby: Royal Edition
    All New
    The role of Prince William and Kate's new child, how he or she will be raised and what can be expected to happen once the baby is born.
  16. skatesindreams

It will be interesting to see if anything discussed bears any resemblance to what actually occurs.
  17. dardar1126

Twitter:

18. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

My PBS station (Buffalo/Toronto) is airing "A Queen is Crowned" on Sunday at 9pm
  19. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

It's not fair that Kate is 7+ months pregnant and look like that. :p Of course maybe having such a miserable start to her pregnancy means she deserves to look fabulous, but yeah.
  20. dardar1126

Twitter:

21. skatesindreams

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

For those that are both pictured on the Royals and on a mannequin, I think they look better on the mannequin. Bar that first Princess Diana dropped waist monstrosity, it wouldn't look good on anybody or anything. :lol:
  23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I think that could be said for Princess Margaret's turban (to be worn with a caftan! :eek:). Though I think I could picture it on Margaret Rutherford playing Lady Bracknell. :lol:
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. skatesindreams

It only shows how extreme fashions were during that period, with all those "ethnic" influences.
  25. Alixana

The Norman Hartnell and Hardy Amies gowns created for HM are exquisite.
  26. dardar1126

Agreed; those are my favorites...so elegant...so pretty! :glamor:
  27. skatesindreams

Mine as well!

The gown HM wore for the opening of New Zealand's Parliament is stunning.
    What a tiny waist!
  28. AragornElessar

Thanks for the heads up, as I didn't know and I'll have to DVR it for the Collection.

Speaking of that...I saved my money and when in Toronto for CSOI Toronto, picked up a mini iPad and *love* it!! Anyway...Over at iTunes, the following are available...

Monarchy : The Royal Family At Work
    Britain's Royal Weddings

And a documentary on the then Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Phillip Mountbatten RN's Wedding. Or what was able to be shown of it, as the actual ceremony wasn't filmed, but was recorded. Also w/this documentary is footage of either Prince George and Princess Marina or Prince Henry and Princess Alice's Wedding Day Balcony scene and at one point, King George V lifts a little Princess Margaret up in his arms in order to see the crowds. I've never seen that footage ever before, so it was worth it just for that. However...What I didn't know until after downloading it, when you get the Britain's Royal Weddings two part documentary, you also get the BBC's complete coverage of William and Kate's Wedding along w/their Engagement Interview in full too. I literally did a double take when I saw that as it's not part of the description of it over there. :D

Just thought I'd mention it for those interested. :)

Also don't forget we're in the Home Stretch towards the Swedish Royal Wedding on the 8th of June. In fact, Daniel, Carl Phillip and other friends of Chris' "kidnapped him" yesterday for his Bacholor Party. The second of two as his friends in the States also gave him one in NY apparently.

I was saying to Mom earlier today I should dig out the set of Coronation glasses I got at a Yard Sale about 20 yrs ago for this weekend. Just to show them off and mark the day in my own way. :)

BTW...This is actually a Double Coronation Year in the UK. There's the 60th of the Present Queen, but this year also marks the 175th Anniversary of Queen Victoria's Coronation too. I was shocked to read that over at The Royal Forums last night, as you'd think there would have been more of a fuss made about it, but...Nope!!

flo...Think of all of us who would love to be w/you watching that presentation this weekend. I hope it does get shown somewhere and time here in NA. :)
  29. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

they made her face fleshier and falling in on itself, like a half fallen souffle ((qe2))
  31. skatingfan5

From the linked article, the artist had this to say:
    I wonder if the Corgis were depicted more favorably.:D Anyone have a link to the full portrait, including the :dog: :dog: :dog:?
  32. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

33. skatingfan5

34. skatesindreams

35. floskate

floskate Vacant

I don't know if this will work outside the UK but here is an online stream for BBC Parliament:

http://www.filmon.com/#BBC-Parliament

If not then I guess using a proxy site would help?
  36. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Heads up Canadians! CPAC will be broadcasting the Coronation starting at 10:15am Eastern on Sunday. It's scheduled to go till 5:30 so I am guessing it is the same as the BBC Parliament broadcast.
  37. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

Thank-you so much! Just caught your message and set the PVR.
  38. dardar1126

Twitter:

39. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I think all the dresses are hideous although some of the fabric shown is lovely. The sari material is especially gorgeous but I don't like what they did with it. An actual sari is much more beautiful. The worst is Diana's one shoulder dress. If the one shoulder is a skinny strap it can be ok but I hate that lop-sided look with one arm bare & the other in a long sleeve.
  40. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well I just got through watching the Coronation - it was.....long but the ceremony itself was incredibly moving. I do wonder though as to any modifications that could be made to the ceremony for the next coronation to make it more relevant to the 21st century.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.