Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I believe that he should be interred in York Minster.
    However, the service should have representatives of all the areas/Diocese involved.
    Certainly, HMQ should send a member of the Royal family to the service, also.

2. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

If she does (and I'm sure she will) it should of course be her cousin Richard the Duke of Gloucester!

3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

FWIW, Richard, Duke of York was the father of Edward IV and Richard III. Before becoming king, Richard III was Richard, Duke of Gloucester.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Nah, the whole sequence that resulted in his ending up there was recorded on film.

:watch:

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

On this day in English Royal History....One of the greatest rivalries was ended by three swings of an axe...

Being Bess ~ On This Day in Elizabethan History: The Execution of Mary Queen of Scots

I'm still undecided on which movie I have access to and also has Mary's execution as part of the storyline to watch tonight. It's either the excellent Elizabeth I w/the awesome Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons or Elizabeth : The Golden Age w/Cate Blanchett. Hmmmm....What a choice to make.

But a fun one as I love both productions. :D

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. AragornElessar

It appears that while the People of York want Richard to come home, York Minister has other thoughts....

BBC News ~ York and North Yorkshire ~ York Minister says Richard III should be buried in Leicester

I am so envious of Kaitlyn Osmond....This is going to be in one of her training areas, the West Edmonton Mall....

Princess Diana's Wedding Dress arrives in Canada for poignant retrospective

Would love the chance to see it. Sigh....

And...

London Evening Standard ~ Riders on the lawn ~ Showjumpers to compete in William and Kate's Garden

7. AragornElessar

Found yet another Royal event on YouTube...

Zara Phillips Christening

The only thing from Zara's Christening I've ever seen, is that picture of Anne, Zara and Peter and then in B&W only. So this was a lovely surprise to find. Especially as when it starts playing, Zara is quite comfy and happy in Granny's arms. Now when have we seen the Queen holding any of her Grandchildren when they were babies? I don't ever recall any other time, so it was a nice surprise at the start of this.

I think the reason why Zara's Christening wasn't covered as much as Big Brother Peter's, wasn't so much as she was Princess Anne's daughter and w/no title not as much as a fuss, so much as they snuck the occasion in before another big event : her Uncle Charles' Wedding a couple of days later. IIRC, this happened three or four days before Charles and Diana's Wedding, *if* I'm remembering the date right that is.

Regardless...It really was a nice surprise to see this pop up on the right hand side menu when I was watching something else. :)

ETA ~ it seems to be my night for finding Royal Christenings on YouTube....

Prince Harry's Christening and William Being A Little Devil ~ 1984

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I understood that 'York' in the mnemonic refers to the House of York :)
    :lol:

9. AragornElessar

Have a few things to share...

From our friends at Order of Splendour...

Wedding Wednesday ~ Wedding Wednesday: Princess Charlotte's Gown

Even if this isn't the complete gown, it's still stunning!! Would loved to have seen it "moving" under candlelight as it was the night Charlotte wed Leopold. There's a YouTube video that goes along w/this when it was part of a Historic Royal Wedding Gowns exhibit a few years ago. BTW, anyone willing to take a guess at which of those gowns needed the most conservation work done on it? It will surprise you. :)

For those wondering who Princess Charlotte was, she was the only legitimate Grandchild of George IV and when she died along w/her stillborn baby son, the only legitimate heirs had also passed away. This ended up producing what I've seen mentioned as The Great Royal Baby Race, as Charlotte's Uncles all got married to proper Princesses of the proper faith as set by the Royal Marriages Act. Out of all of these proper arranged marriages was born a baby girl to the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

A little girl called Alexandrina Victoria.

History tells her tale far better than I could. :)

In other Royal News....

Well, this isn't really news, but gave me a good laugh when I saw it.

Richard III World's Greatest Hide and Seek Player!!

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie took their Family to the slopes this week, but the star of the show was little Princess Athena...

Hello ~ Adorable Princess Athena keeps her cool

Yesterday was a sad Anniversary in Tudor History...

The Anne Boleyn Files ~ The Executions of Catherine Howard, Jane Boleyn, Francis Dereham and Thomas Culpeper

The first details of what will be happening on April 30th concerning The Abdication of Queen Beatrix and The Investiture of Their Majesties King Wilem-Alexander and Queen Maxima have been released...

Royal News ~
    30 April: details of programme for abdication of Queen Beatrix and installation of King Willem-Alexander announced

New Official Pictures of Their Majesties The King and Queen of Sweden have been released. HM is wearing the entire Sapphire Parure for the Formal Picture BTW...

My Royals ~ NEW OFFİCİAL PHOTOS OF KİNG CARL GUSTAF AND QUEEN SİLVİA

You know, it's been driving me nuts for the last year or two because I *knew* the King looked awfully like someone I know or knew. It's only been the last few weeks it's clicked. I've been watching old Carol Burnett skits on YouTube and it's Harvey Korman!!! It's eerie too just how much the King today looks like Harvey did back then. *Very* eerie.

Well...They do say everyone has their twin in the World, so... :)

The person who runs The Order of Splendour posted this to the Queen Mum Jewellry thread over at The Royal Forums MB...

Pictures of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother and every tiara she wore during her lifetime after becoming first HRH The Duchess of York

Sigh...I wish the work needed to restore The Strathmore Tiara in order for it to be worn again could or would be done. It's a personal favourite of mine and too pretty to not be seen ever again.

And...From Sweden....

Here's a copy of the cover of a special magazine being published to mark a very special little girl's First Birthday!!

Hard to believe that both Athena and Estelle are/almost One. The year has certainly flown, hasn't it?

10. skatesindreams

Do we know if any of these will be streamed or televised?

11. AragornElessar

I can't see it not being streamed live. Not in this day and age. I'm sure that's part of the details that are still being ironed out.

12. AragornElessar

Really interesting article up over at The Daily Mail about the very first Royal Tour of an English Prince to the Middle East...

Daily Mail ~ The first EVER photographs of a Royal tour: Banished to the Holy Land after a notorious sex scandal, Edward VII spent his days smoking and shooting crocodiles before returning home... with a tattoo

The pictures that go w/this are the truly amazing part of it. These were some of the first pictures of the Great Pyramid of Giza and other Holy Places in the Middle East and also The Acropolis in Athens. They are truly fascinating and form what will be two up coming exhibits. First at the Palace of Holyrood House in Scotland and then at Buckingham Palace. I'd love to be able to go to one of these exhibits, as these are just incredable, can you imagine what the entire collection is like?

Also...Now take this w/a grain of salt, but if true then...:D

Now Magazine = Prince William to present Kate Middleton with her own sparkly new tiara when she's a mum

As I said...Take it w/a grain of salt.

The Daily Mail is also reporting that Kate will be taking on three new Patronages and they will be announced w/in the month. She will also be undertaking her first Engagement since visiting St. Andrews just before the Announcement of the little one on the way and her going into Hospital on the 19th. Which is Tuesday. Not too much longer to wait and she'll be visiting one of Action on Addiction's programs.

Now in much sadder news...

BBC News ~ North Wales ~ North Wales RAF serviceman named among Scots avalanche victims

For those wondering the connection, RAF Valley is Prince William's current base where he is working as a Search and Rescue Pilot.

:(

13. AragornElessar

Button down the hatches and get ready for a slew of articles and photos tomorrow. It's finally almost here. Kate's first engagement since being hospilitzed for that form of severe morning sickness (Not even going to try and spell that thing...) and the Announcement of the Baby News.

It would not shock me in the slightest if the media isn't already camped out in some manner near the Action on Addiction facility she's visiting tomorrow.

Still....Very much looking forward to seeing Kate out and about again on Her Majesty's Service. ;)

14. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel, who wrote Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, makes her feelings about Kate quite plain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21502937

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

And did she base this opinion on any real life interaction with the Duchess, or on media reports and her own imagination?

She sounds insufferable.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What a bitch.

17. skatesindreams

What gives her the right to say such things?
    For all her "success", could she be jealous of the Duchess of Cambridge?

18. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

It seems her comments were more complex:

http://news.yahoo.com/tabloid-slams-novelist-mantel-over-kate-comments-122552877.html

19. skatesindreams

The Duchess is hardly a naive, uneducated fool; or "dupe" of the Royal Family.
    If Mantel intended to "shame" the press by her comments; she may have had quite the opposite effect.

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like the wrap dress kate has on today. it looks like every dress i wore to work when i left the house to work. also, the little bit of extra weight in the face is flattering.

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Exactly. For an award winning author, she's not much of a communicator - the point she's trying to make is obscure at best, and repeating negative views of Kate just serves to prolong the very thing she's apparently against. Reminds me of that recent Rex Reed rant on Melissa McCarthy - in what may be a well intentioned effort my media outlets and other celebrities to defend Melissa and shame Rex, the things he said were repeated over and over, thus adding life to his words and doing no favours to Melissa.

And, I'll argue that the author is perhaps spending a bit too much time in centuries past, and has a one-dimensional and dated view of the media's relationship with Kate and the current royals, and for that matter how the royals work the press and in fact go around them using social media quite effectively. A great deal has changed since Diana's day.

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's called freedom of speech. The British instituted it some time after the U.S. broke away.

Here's a link to the text and a recording of Mantel's speech: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n04/hilary-mantel/royal-bodies

Here's the bit about the Duchess of Cambridge:

Although Mantel does say elsewhere in the speech

the irony of the part that I have quoted in boldface appears lost on her.

23. skatesindreams

I didn't need the reminder --- or the comment, Vagabond.

24. jeffisjeff

And that justifies calling her a b*tch?

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I said that based on the initial reports of her remarks, before I read a few more detailed articles. Now I'm just calling her a bad communicator :p

26. jeffisjeff

So, that's a no?

27. AragornElessar

Getting away from those nasty snide and vicious remarks by someone who obviously has been immersed in the Past for a bit too long...

BTW...Someone w/a BA in History of Art, which is known as one of the toughest BA's to achieve according to Family Friends who teach at a University in the US, is anything but dumb or naive and certainly knows what's what in the World. Someone who has won two Booker Prizes *should* have known better IMO.

On that note....I happened to mention over at TRF that I thought the Palace dropped the ball a wee bit w/today's Engagement because all we heard was that Kate was visiting Hope House, an Action on Addiction project, and that was it. Nothing about what the place does to help those women deal w/and come to terms w/their addiction/s. Only that Kate was visiting the place due to it being part of Action on Addiction's work.

Okay then...As it turns out, they have a very successful Art Therapy program and have actually helped one of their "graduates" to end up w/having one of her plays being produced and another one is in the process of being produced. So, since one of Kate's known causes so far is that Art can help those w/problems to deal w/their emotions and/or situation, as her Patronage of The Art Room has shown.

So...All I said was, I thought the Palace PR had dropped the ball a wee bit by not saying that Hope House has this great program and this is part of the reason Kate was visiting. It ties in w/the Art Room patronage perfectly and this proves that HRH does believe Art can help turn someone's life around, not to mention giving badly needed exposure to the Program at Hope House, which could be only help them in the long run.

However, was any of this mentioned by the Palace? No, and I felt it was a missed chance to both highlight one of the Duchess' causes that she believes in and also to give the program at Hope House a shot in the arm. After all, isn't one of the "points" in Martel's "essay" that we know nothing about Kate other than she's a Barbie doll w/no thoughts of her own?

I have since been told off that I'm completely off base and there was no need to "justify" Kate's visit today. Not to mention the expected comparison to Diana I obviously gave someone an excuse to do.

I never said she needed to "justify" the visit. However, w/certain Press "people" going on and on about just what does Kate believe in or stand for and then Martel's rather nasty "essay", the Palace had a perfect chance w/this visit to do just that. They didn't, I feel they missed a golden chance to do just that and I still stand by what I think : On a PR stand point, they dropped the ball a wee bit.

Now as to what was actually the focus of the visit, how Kate looked ( :rolleyes: ) , I thought she looked gorgeous!! The added weight really has done wonders for her and combine that w/her glowing and I thought she just looked incredable. Also smart to wear a wrap dress. That's one of those things that look good on just about everyone and she can also wear it again after the baby comes as well. Very wise considering Britain's economic recovery is still wobbly.

Some links...

Hello ~ Kate admits pregnancy nerves as she returns to work with baby bump

Telegraph ~ Duchess of Cambridge admits being nervous about giving birth

That also has video of the visit along w/it. My favourite part of that one though...

:D

28. skatesindreams

^^^
    I hope Hugo will remember the day, with pleasure.

29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually read the entire Mantel speech? I somehow think it's become tabloid fodder without these so called journalists understanding what Mantel actually had to say. This article provides a nice summary.

I think the issue is that the media chose to publish a very tiny part of her speech, and in doing so took it out of context. The actual speech isn't that bad at all.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What I don't understand is where Mantel - and the writer of that article for that matter - is getting her ideas of what the media and the public supposedly think of Kate.

I don't think that it's generally true that media and the public think Kate is a doll or mannequin, has "no personality of her own," or is "entirely defined by what she wears." And I don't know what this "set of threadbare attributions" is that we've supposedly "draped" her in as a mother to be.

The writer of the article then shares a bunch of sweeping generalizations of her own, saying that Mantel is criticizing "the role we have all squeezed her into." What exactly is that role, and does she really believe it's something we "all" have perpetrated?

The author also says that "we're all addicted to salacious royal gossip," and I really don't think that's true. In fact, I do believe that much of the interest that Kate attracts is in fact the opposite - it is the very lack of salaciousness that makes her attractive to many.

And I don't think this point is "apparent" at all:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.