Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was just checking the CBC to see what was going on in the World and then all that was heard here was me going, "OH MY GOSH!!!"

I'm surprised she did it now, as there was no warning and she and the Crown Prince Couple just got back from a major State Visit to back to back Countries.

Wow!!

ETA ~ Just thought of something...If we thought Maxima had fun in the Jewel Vault before this, can you imagine what we'll see on her after April 30th? Or even at the Installation Ceremony?

Fun to imagine....As bittersweet as it is it's happening at all right now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. AragornElessar

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Artist Speaks Out Regarding his Middleton Portrait

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont want to become acclimated to that picture. it's depressing.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I knew Pablo Picasso. Pablo Picasso was a friend of mine. Paul Emsley, you're no Pablo Picasso. :p

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Resistance is futile..;)

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

...or John Singer Sargent!

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, with time Katherine will look older, so the picture won't be so off-the-mark in that respect. But I certainly hope that smirk doesn't replace her warm smile. BTW, have people really become "acclimated" to this portrait of the Queen? It's been more than 60 years now. :shuffle:

9. skatesindreams

That "portrait" bears no resemblance to HMQ, IMO.

10. AragornElessar

Historic Royal Palaces has put up a really great page for those of us interested in the Tudor era. They've done a separate Podcast for each person who was executed on Tower Green. I've only listened to the Anne Boleyn one, but it was excellent.

Historic Royal Palaces ~ The Tower of London ~ Podcasts 2013

For those of us who don't understand the Dutch Language, here is Queen Beatrix's Abdication Speech in full and in English...

Dutch News ~ The queen's abdication speech in full

This post over at The Royal Correspondent does an excellent explaination of how things will end up being after all is said and done on April 30th...

The Royal Correspondent ~ News Regarding His Royal Highness Prince Wilem-Alexander of Oranje

For the first time in the History of The Netherlands, the female heir will hold the title of HRH The Princess of Oranje, which is the title of the Heir, in her own right. When the Dutch updated/changed their Consititution to allow Equal Gender Inheirantence in the Royal Family a few years ago, that change was also made.

So Princess Catharina-Amalia will become The Princess of Oranje in her own right and that will be a first for the Dutch. :)

It's not clear, but it's hoped for, that same policy (lack of a better word) will end up being put into the British changes of the Succession Act now being discussed. So that if this little one of Kate and William's does end up being a little girl, when the time comes, she will be Princess of Wales in her own right.

At least, it's hoped that will happen.

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Jeez--I'd expect the Taleban to say something stupid but this Hadley whoever is way off base imho in her criticism of Prince Harry. I don't think the answers in his interview were strident and I liked his honesty. And puhlease---Dick Cheney would never be caught doing the difficult jobs that our armed forces are tasked with everyday. Mind you he had no trouble sending them into harms way. What an insult to Harry.

12. AragornElessar

Yes. Very much an insult to Harry. Especially when you watch that other link I posted w/the full Documentary, which is where these quotes of Harry's have been coming from and you realize just how badly Harry's words were twisted on him.

He didn't deserve any of the roasting he's gotten by the Media at all.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Guinevere

Guinevere New Member

Just an update, but on Monday they will be announcing the results of the DNA tests on the skeleton in the parking lot that they think is Richard III. Considering all the circumstantial evidence, I'd be very disappointed and surprised if its not him. But nothing's for sure, it could be some other nobleman who died in battle, so I'll definitely be hitting the refresh button over and over on Monday to see the results!!!

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, it IS the Guardian. I can't stand that publication and the treatment of Harry's service is just another example of their asshatery. Killer Captain? You mean soldiers actually KILL people in a war? You don't say, Ms. Hadley.

It was reported here in the US, on CBS radio to be exact--that's where I heard it, although other media reported it too, I am sure. The CBS announcer didn't make any comment other than reporting Harry said killing the enemy was a lot like playing a video game. I don't get the outrage. He has to deal with the horrific task of killing other humans. And that's his way of coping.

The ultimate irony is of course, the Taliban talking about mental illness. Really now.

Here's a comment under the Hadley incoherent rant that caught my eye:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  15. skatesindreams

I've seen many other interviews with soldiers who "objectify" their experiences in the same way.
    It doesn't seem inappropriate or strange to me.

16. AragornElessar

Well...Get ready for unleashing of many articles and diagrams showing us *exactly* how far she is compared to so and so at this point because...

US Magazine ~ Breaking News: Kate Middleton Debuts Baby Bump: Pictures

And so it begins...:rolleyes:

Guinevere, a good place for you to check on Monday would be The Royal Correspondent website. He's really good about keeping up on what's going on and usually has breaking Royal News as soon as it's known. I don't have the link handy, as I usually just click on whatever link he tweets about on Twitter. Anyway, that's the best place I can think of online.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She is debuting a poncho, not the baby bump. I can't see anything. Looks great, though and is hopefully feeling better.

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, makes me want to bust out my plaid poncho tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  19. AragornElessar

Neither can I, so that's why I posted it the way I did. As I said...So it begins...

More twisting of Harry's words and racking him over the coals....

The Express ~ BOASTING PRINCE HARRY SPARKS SECURITY FOR PRINCE WILLIAM

1 ~ Harry was not boasting about that in the interview. Then again, you'd need to see the actual interview, not snippets, to understand that. Neither was the tone he used when talking about that in a boasting manner.

2 ~ Royal Security, but especially around the Cambridges and Harry, was going to be undergoing huge changes due to the various screw ups on the part of the RDPD Investigation into most of what happened last year. The one PPO accidently shooting his gun, the entire Vegas debacle where Smartphones were allowed at the Party, etc. The fear being since many of their Protection Officers have been w/them for ten years to just after Diana's death w/a couple and the lines have blurred too much.

None of this is new to anyone who has been paying attention the last few months. However, let's use it as a way to drag Harry under the bus yet again. :mad:

20. AragornElessar

21. skatesindreams

My thoughts exactly!

22. AragornElessar

Anyone w/access to PBS Detroit, they're showing Britain's Royal Weddings right NOW!!

Talking about the then Duke and Duchess of York's Wedding. Later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Also tonight at 11pm EST, CBC News Network will be reshowing a documentary on Prince Phillip's Mother, HRH Princess Andrew of Greece, HSH Princess Alice of Battenberg (later turned into Mountbatten) called The Queen's Mother in Law. I saw it last week on The Passionate Eye and it's beyond fascinating. Both the Countess Mountbatten and her sister are in and I guess their Aunt Alice drove their Father crazy over how he'd sent her money in Athens and she'd in turn give it all to the poor.

Quite the lady she was. A brave one as well for her actions during WWII.

Oooooh...They just had a florist of today re make the then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons Wedding Bouquet. Very simple, but very elegant too. A simple bouquet of White Roses of York w/Scottish Heather worked in among the outer edges to set off the roses and then tied all off w/a long white satin ribbon wrapped around the stems and then the edges trailing down to set off the rest of the look. While it's true to the times, I could also see it being used by a Bride today. It really was/is beautiful.

23. AragornElessar

24. AragornElessar

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

The following link brings up the video, and it's right at the top of the page and starts as soon as it's loaded, taken by a bystander while this happens and it shows everything happening!!

So click at your own discretion, but there's the warning.

Telegraph ~ Onlooker films knife-wielding man being tasered by police outside Buckingham Palace

My God...That looks like the knife my Parents use when they're cleaning fish after a day out. Knowing how sharp that thing is, I can easily imagine it would take very little pressure for this guy to do what he was obviously intending to do.

Glad HM and Phillip are still at Sandringham, but she will be horrified by this news regardless.

Just...:(

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There are a couple of Canadian angles to this story for those interested - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/experts-say-canadian-dna-confirms-parking-lot-skeleton-is-richard-iii/article8158525/

I wonder if renewed interest in Richard III (aside from the core group who's always been interested :)) will lead to greater interest in Henry VII. As we well know, all the historic attention is on his son and granddaughter, when in fact Henry VII's reign was a very interesting time, and his impact continues to be felt today. Back when I was reading a lot about the Tudor period, I couldn't find anything readable (ie not decades old dry scholarly works) on his life and reign, and for that matter, much on Henry VIII before he became king (and even there, the first decade of his reign usually merits only a few paragraphs while writers race to get to the juicy parts).

I would love to see a new, well researched bio on Henry VII.

27. skatesindreams

So would I; particularly one focusing on his early life, before the "juicy" parts, which everyone thinks they know.

Re: Richard III:

As it should be.
    I hope that this leads to a historical "reassessment" of his position; with the correction of the errors of history that have always surrounded him.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Henry VII, but one of the things I always thought was interesting was that he was descended from the originally illegitimate, later legitimated Beaufort line - the great-grandson of John Beaufort, eldest of the four children born to the Duke of Lancaster and his then-mistress Katherine Swynford. I've only read the Anya Seton novelization about them, but I know there are some more serious books that I should check out. The Beauforts and their descendants were not supposed to inherit at all; Henry IV had tried to ensure that.

I'll admit that what little 15th century history I know is mostly from reading Dorothy Dunnett :shuffle:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Indeed. One would think that in the endless writings about Henry VIII, it would be interesting to do a proper exploration of his childhood. The influence of his father (which I've barely seen written about) and his mother (which seems limited to insisting that his daughter by Anne was named for her), and the effect of his brother's early death for starters (the latter limited to some feeling of obligation to marry Katherine, but I've seen little about his actual relationship with his brother). Then there's the oddity of being raised as the Duke of York, not king, which surely would have some effect on his character and the way he eventually reigned. We know why he had the Duke of Buckingham executed, but by Henry VIII's reign, the spectre of pretenders to the throne is treated almost as a joke in the books and documentaries I've seen, but at the time, it was a really big deal that would have been a threat throughout his reign and indeed throughout the Tudor period. Finally, the thing I'd love to hear more about are the other adults who influenced Henry VIII as a youth, and his childhood friends. We know they were important because they all ended up in his court (notably the Duke of Suffolk), but I haven't seen anything that really examines who was around Henry as a child, and how they influenced him.

For Henry VII, I pretty much need the whole story :lol: All I know are little bits and pieces - all tantalizingly interesting!

If anyone knows of any good sources, please do share :)

30. skatesindreams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.