Royalty Thread #4 Nappies and Nuptials

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Thanks for sharing the article.
    I knew very little about her.

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. AragornElessar

You're both welcome and it has to be a sad day for Prince Phillip and the rest of the Family as well.

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS! I don't like the portrait either. I think it looks like her but a much older, matronly Kate. She looks about 15 lbs heavier than she really is with that full face. And what's with the smirk?

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Why? What happened? :confused:

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

8. AragornElessar

Prince Laurent of Belgium's done it again...

Flanders News. be ~ Prince Laurent In New Scandal

I always feel so awful for Princess Claire having to put up w/this guy. Once again, he's landed in the you know what!!

ETA ~ YIKES!!! How could I have forgotten today is the day of Beatrice and Eugenie's very first ever Official Overseas Engagement!?!?!

Daily Mail ~ Germany rolls out the red light carpet: Eyebrows raised as Princess Eugenie drives through a stop sign on royal visit… but it's revealed police waved her through

Count on TDM for a headline like that one... :rolleyes:

Eeeek on that one pic of Beatrice colouring w/the kids. Granny will NOT be pleased w/the peek we got thanks to that deep neckline when she bent over....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  9. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

10. AragornElessar

Wow!! That is a gorgeous painting of a Queen, but not HM as she was back in 1953. Oh well...At least Kate's got good company.

ETA ~ Crown Princess Mathlide of Belgium unveils the design of the stamp to mark her 40th Birthday.

belga gallery of pictures from today

A gorgeous stamp to mark the major birthday of a lovely lady. Happy 40th Your Royal Highness!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

That portrait looked NOTHING like Queen Elizabeth II in 1953! Was the artist painting from memory??

As to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie it's nice they're going out and promoting the UK and it's products! :)

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

13. AragornElessar

14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

15. AragornElessar

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    I do!

17. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

18. AragornElessar

This site/paper looks more like a tabloid, but posting the links as they sound legit...

Daily Star Sunday ~ PRINCE WILLIAM HANGING ON TO CHOPPER

Now the offering of Anmer Hall makes sense if William wants to continue as a SAR Pilot, as this article says. There's a RAF SAR Base nearby and they're not as far from London there as they are in Wales, so...

and...

The Daily Star Sunday ~ TALIBAN HAS NOT SEEN LAST OF PRINCE HARRY

Great...Just great!!! Nothing like giving the Taliban a head's up and chance to make possible plans for next time....

ETA ~ A friend of mine over at TRF who has started her own site/blog is starting a series of postings about British Coronation Regalia and Jewellery. The first installment, all about the Coronation Ring is really interesting. The link...

British Royal Jewels

ETA*A* ~ A member posted this over at TRF in the Family Order and Decorations thread and it's a first time for me even knowing this existed. Since I can't be the only one...

The Royal Collection ~ The Family Order of HM Queen Alexandra

I've never seen a Family Order before w/both the Monarch and his Consort on it. Usually it's just the Ruling Monarch/Head of the Family who is pictured. Regardless, it is stunning.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  19. AragornElessar

This calls for it's own post...

Happy 70th Birthday to HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands!!!!

As many know, she was actually born in Ottawa during WWII and the entire Maternity Floor had to become a part of Dutch Territory in order for her to keep her place in the Line of Succession. Her sisters and Mother (Can't remember off the top of my head if her Father did too or stayed in London to work w/the Government in Exile) had come to Canada after an offer to come and seek asylum here and also a safe place for the Family.

She's since been back "home" several times for various visits and to see her w/the Veterans is something very special.

Happy Birthday to Canada's Dutch Princess!!! :)

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It looks naggingly familiar, like it reminds me of an actress..but I don't think Elizabeth II would even have made the top ten list of people if I had to guess who it was SUPPOSED to be!

*facepalm* You know, back in World War II and prior, the press went out of their way NOT to overtly aid the enemy. Why not just give the Taliban a map of British unit locations and mark the one Harry's with with a crown?

21. AragornElessar

Exactly!!

It's a historic day today in Serbia...

The Royal Family of Serbia ~ HM King Peter II Returns Home After 72 Years

Can't imagine the levels of negotiations that had to take place for this to happen, but good on the Government to do it and also this could help to put that particular Chapter of History behind them.

On a different note...Happy Birthday HRH the Countess of Wessex!!! May Sophie have enjoyed a lovely day w/Edward, the kids and lots of cake!! :D

ETA ~ This is just too cute...The Spanish RF at a Tennis Match between Federer and Nadal and two little girls being entertained by a Crown Princess. :D

YouTube ~ Letizia, Sofia and Irene along w/the others enjoy a Tennis Match...Sort of.

and...

Felipe and Letitiza celebrate Spain's 2010 World Cup win...

Celebrating Spain's Winning the World Cup

Don't you love it when the Royals act just like us? :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  22. AragornElessar

Sorry for the double post, but this really does need it's own post...

This just popped up on my Twitter feed...

Pink News ~ MPs to plan for gay royals marrying same-sex partners and their children becoming king or queen

While it's the right time to start talking about this w/the current changes about to be made to the Succession Laws, I don't see this going through right now. Simply because it's the first time it's been brought up and considering the Church of England's "feelings" *and* how traditionalists still make up the back bone of British Government and....

Do I think it should happen? Of course. Do I think it's going to happen this time? Sadly no.

23. AragornElessar

Surprised no posts about Prince Harry's interview on ending his second tour of duty in Afghanistan. Here's a couple of articles and one of them is...Well...Pot calling kettle black a bit?

Telegraph ~ How dare the Guardian sneer at Prince Harry?

The Khaleej Times ~ Taleban say Harry has a mental issue

I remember Prince Charles being asked about Harry training for the Apache last year and Charles saying he wouldn't be able to do it because so much of it now is so computerized and as Harry grew up playing computer games, it wasn't a problem for Harry or for William. Not the first time either I've heard that this Generation training to be pilots has it a bit easier due to their exposure to video games.

Just putting out there in contrast to the above article link.

ETA ~ Just saw this at The Royal Forums...

Prince Carl Friedrich is the Heir Apparent. Congratulations to TI&RH on their two little blessings!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  24. AragornElessar

Really great documentary, which has many of the bits and pieces we've seen over the last two days. Amazing how things can be twisted to suit whatever the news organization wants, huh?

YouTube ~ British Forces News Special ~ Prince On A Mission

And Harry is now home and on UK Soil.

Welcome Home Captain Wales and all of his mates in his Squadron!!!

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's an interesting little story about a "lost" photo of Diana as a teen - People. Aside from the price, the fact that "not to be published" is scrawled across the image made me click on the link within the article to see where it came from. Nice picture of her though!

26. AragornElessar

Was this the first time you heard about this picture Jenny? It came to light just before the Holidays IIRC and I knew the auction was coming up soon, but didn't realize it was today. I hope it went somewhere where it will be displayed properly and admired.

Just found this...

The Royal Collection ~ The Queen's Coronation 1953

I would *love* an up close look at HM Coronation Gown. That is a Masterpiece of beading and embroidery work. Sigh...

27. Guinevere

Guinevere New Member

28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/c...e-is-bound-to-be-a-happier-mother-than-diana/

Clearly a slow news day. I don't think one should make the kind of generalizations this writer is making. I think the Duchess is doing a great job of her current role (supporting her husband,) and she will probably be a good mother. That said, I do wish writers would stop with the "grueling workload" comments. Kate has had anything but a grueling workload - which is just fine and probably healthier in the long run. Diana, on the other hand, had an extremely grueling workload right from the start - which I think was unhealthy and probably contributed to her problems later on. I also think Charles and Diana, for all their own marital problems, did a fabulous job as parents.

29. AragornElessar

This was posted to Twitter last night...

Telegraph ~ Queen Mother pleaded for Charles not to be schooled in Scotland

Reading the excerpts from the letter, it's amazing just how well she knew Charles and how dead on accurate her fears were too. A pity he wasn't sent to Eton, but the past is the past.

Speaking of the past...

English Historical Fiction Authors Blog ~ The Death of Henry VIII: Demolishing the Myths

Really fascinating read that is.

As for reading....I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of The Reluctant King by Susan Bradford and is considered to be *the* definative biography on King George VI. Having gotten as far as the day after the Abdication taking place, I can understand why. I can't put the thing down and especially the last couple days as the Abdication Crisis played itself out to it's sad end.

You know something? After reading that part and of the strain and stress that was on the entire Family during it, I'm amazed none of them suffered a nervous breakdown. Especially Prince Albert/King George VI.

It also brings home in vivid detail just how inept King Edward VIII/The Duke of Windsor *really* was. The more I learn, especially over the last few years w/the declassification of so many documents having taken place and now accessible to the Public, the more I feel grateful he met Wallis and then abdicated. The thought of someone w/the political views and beliefs as he had on the Throne during WWII just chills me to my core when I think, "What if?"

Anyway...If you can find a copy of this, GET IT!!! :D Seriously, it really should be in every Royal History library. JMO of course. :)

ETA ~ Was looking for something else over at YouTube and found this instead...

YouTube ~ Nat Geo ~ Britain's Nazi King

Did I say *I* was grateful he met Wallis and then abdicated? According to this, so was the British Government who by that time knew how inept/the political views Edward had.

And that's not even the big bombshell in this.

Brrr....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

And now, some pretty major royal news: looks like Queen Beatrix is going to announce this evening that she will be abdicating in favor of Prince Willem-Alexander.

ETA: she did indeed, and the link now directs to a story confirming it. Prince Willem-Alexander will become king on April 30. This will make Princess Maxima a queen, right? And Catharina-Amalia will be the heir apparent.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.