Ross Miner

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by muffinbiscuit, Dec 4, 2010.

1. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

Is he competing at Nationals this year?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

Did he have a bye through Easterns?

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

5. Sylvia

More specifically, the dates of NHK Trophy gave Miner a bye through New England Regionals and Cup of China gave him a bye through Eastern Sectionals.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yay! :encore:

7. Sylvia

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Another of "my" SCoB kids! (Hey, I fed them all for a year...) I am thrilled beyond words for Ross!

9. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"...tennis is his second passion after skating..."

Atta boy, Ross! :respec: I knew I was gonna like this kid..... :lol:

10. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Terrific debut for Ross. Here's hoping he repeats at Worlds.

11. DORISPULASKI

Ross and his dad usually are at Liberty. Very nice people.

The Casablanca program has come a huge long way since Liberty. We absolutely loved it at Nationals-the pattern of the program on the ice is particularly pleasing, something that shows up best several rows up.

And the effortless glide and speed, particularly in the spread eagle sequence up and down the ice, ending in a 3/2/2, was particularly great live. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed the waltz circular step that he began with, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16hYvHwg5Q

I was not as crazy about his sp, Partkiki by Piazzolla, billed as a Salsa Medley. However I did like the flying upright spin, as something a bit different, and I do like his spread eagles, and the height of his jumps these days. He could use a more Salsa-esque costume, I think, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyUwQu9CBA&feature=related

Plus he's a nice kid.

Ice Network has a nice interview with him, where he says he felt he squandered his Grand Prix opportunities, came back from China and sat down with his coaches, and completed changed his training regimen.

It shows.

12. Sylvia

It's the article link I posted earlier: Miner takes major step with bronze medal

13. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Go Ross! :cheer: I admit I was not much of a fan of his over the last few years, found him rather stale- but I really felt a huge improvement from him at Nationals. I'm not sure exactly what changed but I really like what I see from him now. It's really nice to see the progression of guys like Dornbush, Miner, and Mahbanoozadeh from fairly boring but solid juniors to quite exciting senior men! Congrats to these guys and their coaches on their tremendous improvements!!! :)

BTW, if you actually look at the fields Ross was skating against at his GP events, I thought he did fairly well for a debut season. Of course he could have placed a couple spots higher, and I'm confident he will manage to do so next season, but he shouldn't feel too badly about how he did.

14. isamelia

isamelia Member

If Nationals is to be taken seriously by the competitors and the public as the ultimate showdown competition, the placements here should determine the world team. Skaters talking about "peaking at worlds" should save this talk for AFTER they compete at nationals and earn their spot. Ross earned it fair and square. This doom and gloom talk helps no one, least of all figure skating as a sport. I look forward to seeing Ross compete for the US at Worlds.

15. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

yep ross earned the spot fair and square ... i like his clean style of skating. he really put in everything but the kitchensink last week. off you go to tokyo my friend!

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ross's LP was much better than his SP. I wish he and his team would re-choreograph the SP to put more Oomphs into it.

I think the heavy forward lurch Ross does before his 3A gives that jump somewhat of an unstable feeling for me. I wonder if Mitchell and Johanssen have trouble teaching 3A, because their former student Steven Carrierre also had a weird entrance into his 3A.

17. DORISPULASKI

Previous to Nationals, Ross's 3A wasn't as high, and tended to finish low. So he has obviously been working on it, because it went sky high at Nationals. However, you're right, and some more work to smooth it out is in order.

And I agree that his SP needs something. For one thing he needs a costume that says "Salsa Medley" rather than "Zorro".

And something else for the LP, too, but obviously he can't wear a fedora and a trench coat.

http://thebestpictureproject.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/casablanca3.jpg

maybe the dinner jacket and black bowtie look with the black pants from the bar scene where Sam is playing "As Time Goes By"?

18. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I would swear Ross used to have a show program to Casablanca, and wore something more akin to a dinner jacket for it. This was a few years ago, though, so it's been a while and I might be misremembering the costume.

19. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Casablanca (with the dinner jacket style costume) was his 2007 novice free skate.

20. DORISPULASKI

BTW, I love the way he skated up and threw snow from his skates into the camera and followed it up with a Mr. Frack cantilever in the Gala. (Skating to Born to Run by The Boss)

Super.

21. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

If a field goal kicker misses a field goal or two in a crucial playoff game, is he going to lose his spot to a talented but unseasoned second-string kicker for the most important game of all, the Superbowl? This is probably a silly analogy, but my point is that considering a skater's recent international results in picking the World team is smart thinking, not "unfair". In gymnastics, the World/Olympic team selections are based on several recent results, rather than one competition. Are they being "unfair", or are they just trying their best to send the team that has the greatest potential to do well?

I really liked Ross's LP in Greensboro, and I think he had a decent showing in his GP debut. I, personally, would have named Abbott to the team, and therefore, I hope nobody gets on Miner's case (or Dornbush's) if the US men cannot retain 3 spots. For someone like Ross, it's a huge success just to even be there. A decent finish would be a bonus for him.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think the responsibility of getting the US 3 spots for 2012 should rest mostly on the shoulders of the National champion and the 2nd place finisher. The 3rd person on a World team is almost an afterthought.

23. DORISPULASKI

24. Sylvia

Boston Globe article today:
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  25. DORISPULASKI

Nice article :lol:

26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Using your analogy, if the kicker misses field goals and costs his team the game, he wouldn't be going to the Super Bowl. The 'kicker' needs to either deliver the goods or go home and watch the game on tv.

27. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

tell that to Shizuka Arakawa and Sarah Hughes...:slinkaway

28. bek

bek Guest

If said "seasoned" kicker messed up in the three Superbowls in a row, and had a history of inconsistency, said kicker would have been long gone.

Jeremy Abbott is a fabulous skater, but the guy is completely unreliable competitor. You want to mention gymnastics, I"d point out to you that Marta would have been through with Jeremy years ago. The fact that this is an individual sport is the reason Jeremy has gotten the chances he has.

Reputation has a lot to do with PCS and skaters like Dornbush, Miner are never going to get good PCS if they are never given a chance to compete at the big international events. At this point the USFSA is pretty much just trying to figure out which of their youngsters to start investing/supporting. And part of figuring out who to invest/support is also seeing who you can rely on to deliver in competitions.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
  29. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article link. I was impressed with Ross as a junior and hope he has great success as a senior. Show 'em, Ross!

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well once in a bluemoon all the stars and planets are aligned for the non-favorites to steal the spotlight :lol:

julieann and (deleted member) like this.