Ross Miner: "Being an Olympic hopeful, it’s a lot of hard work"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting this article link from the U.S. Men's thread:
    I particularly like these quotes by Miner (bolded by me):

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I saw this article when I turned on my computer at work - it was on the front page of MSN. So glad that skating was featured prominently on a regular news page! Lord knows we need more skating promotion in the U.S.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yay Ross!:cheer: He was one of the first kids I met when I worked at SCOB, and he's so nice. I can completely believe the schedule, too, even at Novice and Junior he was a hard worker. I'm cheering for him to make the team, but whatever happens I'm sure he'll be successful.

4. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I think Ross really is the next big thing in US Men FS.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I hope so.. His presentation has improved year after year... softening those airplane arms he used to have... I don't think that is as natural to him as it is to Josh Farris.... I just hope both of them rise to the top of the podium

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Nice to see Ross getting some press, and great to see figure skating as a whole getting some focus in the mainstream media.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good luck to Ross. He's been improving every year. IMO, he's definitely one of those who have a shot to make it to the Olympic team.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I remember Ross from when he was much younger, hasn't hardly aged, and has gotten to be a great skater.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Bon Appetit, Ross. ;) You go, Boss!!! :cheer:

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

In a way, I'm glad that Ross has been somewhat "under the radar" (although I suspect that will change) It's been a pleasure to see him compete/try out his programs for the last few summers @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA. Truly a gentleman, talented, and what I call "complete" (balanced) skater.

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

He is just one of those skaters that is hard not to like. Everything about him seems so genuine and authentic and relaxed about himself. He just has to smile and you cheer for him.
    And yes I agree, some components don't look like they come easily to him, but it's very clear he works hard and is therefore trained and prepared every time he goes out. Can't help but respect that. All I wish now is that he invent a different arm flourish on a jump landing and I'd have nothing to nit pick about :)

I hope he has an awesome couple a skates in London.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I sure hope being labeled an "Olympic hopeful" isn't unsettling him.

13. aftershocks

^^ It appears to be more attributable to the short preparation time between the end of Nationals and the start of 4CC (not to mention travel time also taking away from opportunity to be in peak training shape). Under those circumstances, the U.S. guys didn't do too badly. A bit unfortunate though that Dornbush and Aaron were oh so close but didn't nab a medal.

Anyway a learning experience for them all -- can't have enough of those. And Ross, true to form, has put it all into perspective, based on his post-4CC comments (mentioned by Sylvia in FSU GSD U.S. Men's Thread), as quoted from Golden Skate's 4CC wrap-up:

I love Ross' honesty, his obvious enjoyment of figure skating, and his grounded outlook. He seems to be a sweet guy, very appealing and super cool. :cool:

14. paskatefan

He is, he is! :cheer:

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Miner's also good about staying involved in the local skating community (like all the other SCOB skaters) and regularly puts in appearances at local shows. This hasn't changed, even after he started winning international medals, which says a lot about how grounded he is. He's actually going to be in a show at the Bay State Games this weekend in Williamstown, MA.

http://www.baystategames.org/winter-games-figure-skating-show

Am competing in the adult events the next day, so as long as my friend and I get there on time, will try to record the program =).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. aftershocks

Thanks paskatefan, and ioana! Ross is Boss! His teammates seem to love him too. It was cool the way Meryl & Charlie introduced Ross at the Nationals Exhibition Gala. :D I enjoy watching Ross' skating because he always seems to be enjoying himself so much. I look forward to seeing him continuing to grow as a skater. I like the way Ross and Max are being supportive of each other, and together I hope they are able to just do their best at Worlds. That's all that matters in the end.

Good to hear about Ross' involvement in the New England skating community, ioana. I anticipate hearing your reports about the Williamstown event this weekend. :) Good luck on your adult competition!

I really love all the Skating Club of Boston skaters, and I always enjoy seeing Mark and Peter in the kiss 'n cry. :swoon: They seem to be such great coaches, not to mention sharp dressers and personable guys to be around.

I'm excited about Nationals taking place in Boston next year. It should be a blast. Go Team Boston! Go Team USA! :cheer:

17. paskatefan

You would love attending the Liberty Summer Competition if you could. In addition to watching the actual programs, we get such a kick out of watching the SCOB and UDEL skaters cheering wildly for their clubmates. It's quite entertaining in its own right, and so nice to see how supportive they are of each other. The cheering going on from these two clubs is almost like a competition in itself! :cheer: :encore:

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Did you make it, ioana?

This local Mass. article also mentioned Miner's appearance in the show: http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_22595420/bay-state-games-are-alive-and-well

19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

We did! As a bonus, my friend did very well in her first competition ever -adult bronze the next day. Ross skated well and looked ready for Worlds. He did his Luck Be a Lady program that's been a staple around local exhibitions, but even though he only did 'easier' triples, they were of very good quality and covered lots of ice. Maybe by now his 3sal should count as popping a quad ;)? The gala had all the winners from ISI and USFSA events, so it was an interesting mix of skating skills. Also, a lot of skaters' families were already in Williamstown for the competitive events, so the rink was packed. Definitely one of the best attended local exhibitions that I've seen. Ross was signing badges, programs and posing for pictures left and right when we left -and seemed to enjoy the fame.
    Megan Wessenberg (her ice coverage and flow would be good for a senior and she competed as a novice this season) and Iris Zhao (tons of personality in a program from The Mask) were some of the other skaters that stood out as highlights.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  20. aftershocks

^^
    Thanks so much for the report, ioana. :)

Sounds like a fun event, paskatefan. Is it held every year in the same or in different locations?

21. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Liberty is the IceWorks Skating Club's annual club competition and is always held at the IceWorks complex.

22. aftershocks

^^ Ah, thanks, I see. It's in Pennsylvania. :)

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Boston Globe article by John Powers published before today's SP at Worlds: In changing field of US skating, Ross Miner is constant
    I laughed at this first quote:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013