Rose growing question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by susan6, Apr 22, 2010.

1. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the green thumbs on the board may be about to help me. I'm growing a climbing rose and it is producing flowers, but the flowers are sometimes so big that the stems aren't strong enough to support them. The stems don't just droop over, they sometimes actually bend and the resulting kink will basically kill the flower. Is there some sort of fertilizer that can help make the stems larger and stronger, or is this just a natural habit of some roses?

Also, what's best for treating black spot?

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Is there some sort of trellis to support the climbing rose? You'll need to use some sort of twist tie to pin the stems to the trellis if you don't want them drooping from the heavy blooms. You should always try to keep the roses plant in the best condition possible, ie regular fertilizer, pest control, etc., but there's nothing that you can give them that will suddently make the stem stronger.

Googling black spots on roses brings up a good number of articles on it. Here are a couples:

http://www.ehow.com/how_9358_control-black-spot.html

http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles02/pages/blackspot.asp

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Do you have a sprinkler system? Using a sprinkler can cause black spots. Roses like to be handwatered at the base of the plant. Black spots can also be caused by a little tiny bug similar to aphids. Try Sevin dust & see if that helps. Also roses need to be fed at least every 6 wks during growing season.

5. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

Sorry- no advice or suggestions, just comments. My daughter loves roses, because her middle name is Rose. She has a pink rose bush growing outside her bedroom window, and she wants an orange one next. I haven't tried to find her one, but I hope to get to it soon.

The trellis solution seems to be a good one for the problem of drooping blooms. Good luck with your roses!