Roller skates on ice?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by CoyoteChris, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Someone linked a video in a thread showing a roller skater competing on a very smooth hard surface that "looks" like ice. Like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWIl9vqhtnk&feature=related

What exactly is this surface? Since they are doing throws, jumps and lifts,
    I ASSUME it cant be ice?

Chris who wants to see worlds come to his town

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I like the lift they do where she is on her back and hops to her stomach, someone could incorporate that onto the ice easily. Sorry, don't know about the surface, I assume it is a regular roller rink surface but made for competition so it is white with the logo in the middle.

3. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I don't know much about roller skating, but a person once told me there's this rink made of white quartz, that looks just like ice. I assume that's it.

Gosh, when I read this thread title I though: "roller skates on ice. Of course, wanna loose your theet?".

4. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Wow, white quartz? What ever it is, it doesnt look like wood for sure....there cant be many arenas that are set up for this....

5. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

:D

White quartz!!??

None of that, it's made of big white "plastic" tiles put togheter like a jigsaw puzzle, with some coating on top to make it smoother. It's quite common on big competitions.
    http://www.quadskating.com/rinks/floor-coatings.htm

The past few years, well, I don't think it would have made too much of a difference if it was real ice: rumor has it that the surfaces were too slippery.

Some of the roller experts around here can give a better explanation, but that's basically it.

6. chachacha

chachacha Member

The Roller Skating Surfaces have a coating on it that is referred to as "Roll On"
    Very shiney, It's not slippery and actually can be sticky when freshly done. It's amazing what Can be done on Roller Skates.

7. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

So, I have been fooled, hu?

It could be. Though I'd have sworn she was being serious ("she" was a competitive roller skater).
    I might look into it if I can find time.

8. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

She was pulling your leg. Concrete, wood and plastic (painted on), are about the only surfaces I've ever heard of. I coach roller and have been to rinks all over the world and never heard of quartz. How expensive would that be anyway?

9. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I think very. Though daily power to keep ice rinks running isn't exactly pocket money either.

I remember this girl said to me this rink was one of a kind. I think she was speaking nationally, and I'm not sure where the rest of the world stands in comparison.

The girl mentioned the city where this rink was. Unfortunately, I can't remember (didn't care a whole lot). She described it to me, saying it was beautiful, bright, looked just like ice, so that I remember.

Anyway, I made a quick search, and apparently quite a few rinks are paved in white quartzed cement. Which isn't white quartz, but there're definitely a coincidence there.

Now I'm curious enough. Does anybody have any more informations?

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I tried roller skating on terrazzo as a kid. Not. A. Good. Experience. I wouldn't think quartz would be any better, particularly if it were polished.

11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

How on earth do pairs roller skaters (or any roller skaters for that matter) learn to do throw jumps (or solo jumps for the singles) on the floor? Surely the lack of skid makes jumps that much more painful and the little bit of skid you would get would leave all your skin on the floor :eek: Kevlar training outfits anyone?

Ant

12. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

The skating surface is an epoxy coating over a sub-floor of wood or concrete.