Rockne Brubaker is new Skate School Director at Fox Valley Ice Arena in Illinois

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Re-posting this news from the U.S. Pairs thread to its own GSD thread:
    Thank you! Here's the direct link to the announcement: http://www.theskateschool.com/wordpress1/
    Excerpt:
    Wishing him all the best in this new chapter of his skating life!

2. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Oh wow that is 20 minutes from my home :)

3. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Wishing Rockne all the best as he moves forward in his career! He will be a wonderful director, I'm sure. :)

I will miss seeing him on competitive ice, though. He's been one of my favorite American men (in pairs) to watch.

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

What a great move for him. I wish him all the best in this next part of his career.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to see him take a job in IL. Doesn't his fiancee train in MI?

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Excellent news, and congratulations to him :40beers:.

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That makes me wonder if maybe Berton and Hotarek are retiring too, but I hope not. I think they're doing decently.

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Congratulations. . . but what about Stefania? Will they do the long-distance engagement for a while? I don't want to see Berton/Hotarek retire just yet.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, it's like a four hour-ish drive to Detroit, right? They could do weekends-only for awhile, but I agree that it's not a long-term solution. One of them must be expecting the situation to be somewhat temporary.

10. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Rockne, great news!

11. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Yes, great, but sad. Congrats! :fragile:

12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Congrats, but I have to be honest and say that I think it's a shame he quit so young, only 27 yrs. old. I know *if it was me* I'd be kicking myself 10 or 20 years from now, looking back on my career with regret, wishing I would have given it one more shot, one more go. I know Bjorn Borg regretted quitting so young, and then he came back way too late, the sport had passed him by.

On the (+) side, Rockne & his fiancee look FAB together, I'm sure their kids will be lookers as well. :cool:

13. apatinar

apatinar New Member

damn. he just had the worst luck finding a good partner.. I was hoping this quad was the one he would get it all together..

14. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Some people were hoping on the U.S. Pairs thread that he might come back, but this seems to confirm that he is indeed moving on to another career.

15. deetrakt

deetrakt Member

Problem is, as a pairs skater, even if he found a great partner, he'd realistically have to think 2-3 years out to get somewhere! Also, you can understand why he may have lost heart, after what he's been through in the past few years!

On the other hand, it's got to be a great first job and an opportunity to build a pairs program from the ground up, correcting some of the many mistakes he must have seen in how US pairs are made and developed. The field's pretty wide open and I'm sure he's got plenty of enthusiasm and ability to do better!

16. The Observer

The Observer New Member

True, 27 is not that young for a male pairs skater. Particularly when you are one that isn't yet in the top ranks. It would take several years for Rockne to move up the ranks again and by the time you get to 30 your body begins to suffer the toll. There are only a small number of male pairs skaters in their 30's, and the ones who make the podium tend to be in the exceptional category.

17. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I'd still consider 27 relatively young for a pair guy of Rockne's caliber. Quite a few of the pair guys on a Sr international level are skating into their 30s these days. When he first teamed up with Davis, it sounded like he was considering skating into the upcoming quad if it was the right partnership, but it just wasn't. Finding the right partner has been a huge problem, and his luck has pretty much been awful these past 4 years. And if I had to think of potential partners for him now, the options still seem nonexistent. Plus, he's been through so much that trying to find a singles skater to teach pairs from scratch (again) must not have sounded very appealing.

It's a shame. He's a strong talent, but he may have really benefited from being 4-6 inches taller. Pair skating is hard.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I agree it is a shame that he never got the partner situation sorted. He was one of my favourite male pairs skaters. But sounds like he has a fantastic career opportunity. Well done to him.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Wishing Rockne all the best in his new position! :cheer:

20. Sylvia

Blades Beyond the Sea Annual Ice Show - guest stars Brandon Mroz and Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker
    http://www.foxvalleyicerink.com
    SAT MAY 3 1:00PM & 7:00PM AND SUN MAY 4 1:00PM

21. Sylvia

"Blades Beyond the Sea" show video highlights: http://vimeo.com/94189994

Good to know Rockne still skates/performs occasionally! ;) http://parkridge.suntimes.com/news/iceshow-PRA-04242014:article

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  22. Sylvia

Local Illinois article on Brubaker: http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2014/...-arenas-skating-instruction-programs/ayxhfef/

Excerpt:

23. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I wish him ever success...but can't help but wonder what he'd look like with Castelli....

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Congratulations to Rockne. Hope he is able to find continued success with his involvement in this crazy sport, in his new role.

In some respects, I felt sorry for him in that his persona is one that could have been even more positive than it was, as far as creating a level of energy for the sport. Both for pairs as a discipline in the US, and for the sport of figure skating. His 'macho guy' cred added a nice counterpoint to the wonderful range of personalities in the sport when he competed. Here's hoping that he continues to play a positive role, drawing more people to participate in the sport, through his new role.

25. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Same here, now that you mention it.

26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think maybe this opportunity was too good to pass up. I hope he succeeds, but I don't really understand why rinks do this. Just because someone is a good skater does not mean they would be good managers or administrators.

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

True in those terms, as I recall working for a great attorney who absolutely sucked as an administrator -- that just wasn't his strength. However, Rockne B is more than just a skater. He had begun coaching while he was still competing. And, I don't know, perhaps Rockne has taken courses in business administration. I would think his being offered a job of heading a skating school means that the people offering the position are very aware of Rockne's abilities as a coach, a leader and a potential administrator, aside from his talent and accomplishments as a figure skater.

Ah yes, exactly. However, Rockne had two wonderful high level partnerships that ended sadly, and another that never really had the chance to gel or lift off the ground. I appreciate Rockne's thoughtful and thankful perspective: