rockers and counters and 3 turns oh my

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by fan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit confused re: turns, and thought I could turn here for help. I'm getting all of my 1 foot turns confused, and thought maybe you guys could help me to fill in the list.

3 turn: 1 foot turn going from backward inside to forward outside (or vice versa) or backward outside to forward inside (or vice versa) - follows the same lobe.

counter:

rocker:

bracket:

thanks all! Did i miss anything?

2. backspin

backspin Active Member

I think of it this way:

A 3-turn & bracket are the same except you turn either into or away from the entrance circle.

Same for rockers & counters.

3-turns/brackets keep the same circle. Rockers/counters change lobes as you exit the turn.

Rockers turn the same direction as a 3-turn. Counters turn the same direction as a bracket.

It can be very confusing, and I often do backwards rockers when I'm supposed to be doing counters. For some reason the backward entrance goofs me up.

3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Another way to think about is in terms of changes in edge/direction/foot.

All of the turns above stay on the same foot (unlike choctaws and mohawks, where there is a change of foot). 3-turns are a change of direction and edge - ex: FO to BI (and the turn makes the shape of a "3"). Brackets also are a change of direction and edge but no change of foot, except as backspin pointed out, brackets turn away from the circle.....essentially the opposite of a 3-turn. The tracing looks like a bracket, with the turn mark pointing away from the circle.

Rockers are a change of direction, no change of foot or edge - ex: FO to BO. They are similar to 3-turns in that you turn toward the circle and as backspin said, change lobes after the turn - so you're making an "S" shape on the ice. Counters are similar to rockers - change of direction, no change of foot or edge - but they turn against the circle, "counter" to your body's natural rotation. So in that way, they are similar to brackets.

If you want to get really technical ;), the USFSA website has diagrams of the moves in the field patterns for those turns - go to Technical Info - Rulebook - Tests Book (but you do have to know which turns are on which test, or just scroll through).

4. steve skater

steve skater Member

This is the way I think of them:
    Rockers have 3-turn entrances with bracket-like exits.
    Counters have bracket entrances with 3-turn-like exits.
    ;)

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Yes this explains it best and is what I say when I am trying to work out which turn I am doing.

6. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

This is very useful. It also helps to remember the following:

- 3-turn and rocker have the same entry position
    - bracket and counter have the same entry position
    - 3-turn and bracket go from one edge to the other edge (eg. inside to outside)
    - rocker and counter go from one edge to the same edge (eg. inside to inside)

- Bracket and counter are counter-rotational turns--your hips turn away from the natural direction/flow of the entry lobe/edge. It feels more awkward; you're turning your body in the opposite direction you're gliding. For 3-turn and rocker, your hips turn in the same direction as the entry lobe/edge. It feels more natural; you're turning your body in the same direction you're gliding.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

3-turns : same foot, change of edge, change of direction (from forward to backward or inverse)

rocker : same foot, same edge, change of direction, turn is the same as a 3-turn.

counter : same foot, same edge, change of direction, turn is opposite from a 3-turn.