Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, May 3, 2012.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Plus didn't Joannie do more triples than Mirai?

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She really doesn't even need to be in optimal form to make another Olympic team at this point IMO, she's got nothing to lose either so I suspect she will be back. I've missed her powerful, effortless skating.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

ITA.
    It seems she doesn't want to finish 6th or 7th at the Olympics. But with the team competition, she is likely to have another Olympic medal if she makes the olympic team !

4. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

The article mentions Joannie has not lost much regarding her skating skills. If so, she would be likely to win the Canadian championship in January. If she does, it will be her 7th win. Joannie will have surpassed Jennifer Robinson for the most wins in modern history (currently she is tied with Jennifer at 6 wins).

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Like all of the comeback kids, I'll believe it when I see them on the ice. Sochi is 16 months away and she doesn't have a coach and hasn't resumed competition training.

Saying you've lost none of your technical skills, even if you can land those jumps in isolation in practice and the reality of doing an SP and LP with full technical content are very different places.

Does she automatically qualify for Canadian nationals this season?

If she was serious about returning the wheels should have been put in motion sooner than now, and she's not even saying she'll make a decision before January....when are Canadian nationals?

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

This season, January 13-20, 2013. I never got the impression she planned to be back this season. If she were to compete again, it would be only for 2014. And January should give her enough time to get ready if she does come back, IMO.
    I only saw her skate live at Riverdance on ice, but the way she generates effortless speed and uses her edges is :swoon:-worthy. I'd be thrilled she she came back.

7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

If Joannie doesn't want to skate singles at the Olympics, she'd better hope Osmond earns two places for Sochi at Worlds 2013.

8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Good for Joannie! That's awesome if she wishes to come back. More power to her! :respec: :cheer2: :40beers:

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:confused:

The only way Rochette can compete in the team event but not singles is if Canada does not earn a spot for Ladies in Sochi either in London or at the Olympic qualifier. Otherwise, all competitors in the team event have to compete in their discipline.

It's possible for a country to have two skaters/teams and have only one compete in both phases of the team competition.

10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Even of that were my thought about another skater.... Joanne gets a pass for anything she would ever want to do on any sheet of ice. her courage and grace at the last Olympics...... priceless

11. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Joannie did 7 triples, level 4 spiral sequence, and 3 level 4 spins. Mirai did 6 triples, level 2 spiral sequence, and one level 3 and 2 level 4 spins. Even so Mirai still beat Joannie technically. Interestingly, even Laura Lepisto beat Mirai in the LP. I think Joannie was gifted a little maybe in PCS, and Mirai robbed a little, but I still think Joannie deserved her bronze medal.

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  12. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Still wish this competition didn't include skaters already competing in the individual events (IE separate athletes, like if Evan and Jeremy competed in men, then Johnny would be sent to compete in the team portion) so that more skaters could get the olympic experience and deeper countries would be rewarded.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have no idea why you think, say, the US pair team #3 should get an Olympic medal but not the US pair teams #1 and #2.

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I look at it more as, the same skater gets two chances for a medal, like competing in all-around and team events. There wouldn't be different people on the team that weren't in the all-around.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I agree. Like when Michael Phelps won his first Olympic medal, he should have dropped out of all other events so that the following medals could be shared more evenly.

:p

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sorry, PeterG, the swimming analogy doesn't fly: he had to qualify for each individual event separately.

If figure skating were like swimming, the skaters/teams would qualify for the individual events, and the team events <relays> would be chosen by TPTB.

:p

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I must in a very small minority because I groan inwardly every time an Olympic come-back is announced. This is in part because the skaters who announce possible or certain come-backs for the Olympics often never get there, but get oodles and oodles of media attention.

And in part it is because I'm not crazy about the skaters currently making definite or possible come-backs: Weir, Lysacek, Yunah, Plush, and now Joannie. The idea that Yunah and Joannie might make the 2014 podium because none of the other ladies bring their A game would IMO mean that the ladies event was really sub-par.

But I agree that it would best for Joannie to come back in 2013 if she comes back at all. This would be best for her and best for Canada. Making a late come-back often doesn't work out, as was the case with Cohen.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I personally think comebacks are risky and, therefore, exciting. Of course they often don't work out, but that's what makes the few success stories that much more exciting. If the skater is good enough to make their national team, then so be it. And yay for them! And if they go further, double yay for them! That doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the skaters who have been training the entire Olympic cycle and just don't make it. But it is competition after all, and may the best skater win.

Joannie should try to quiet the "noise" around her and follow her heart.

O-

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Not necessarilly. It's entirely possible that all of the top 10 ladies will skate brilliantly, but if Joannie and Yu-Na skate really brilliantly, then they will deserve to be on the podium in place of the others.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I just really don't want to see some of these skaters that we've been watching for as long as 8 years and two Olympics competing in Sochi. Call me weird but i want to see the new girls fighting it out. The others have had their time.

21. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  22. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think the skating team event would work a lot better if they did follow the model of the swimming medley relay instead of the overpopulated gymnastics event.

Hold the team event last and let the teams and competitors be determined by how folks skated in the individual events. It would probably work best just to use the SP/SD for team qualifying. They could bring forward the SP scores and then just do free programs again for the team event. If they limited it to the top 5 or 6 teams, they could get the whole thing over with in one extra day. That way it wouldn't be necessary to hold half the individual medal events before the opening ceremonies. Totally hate that.

23. Susan M

I think her jump schedule would tell us more than her overall placement against other retired skaters.

They actually have posted protocols for this event. Rochette's program had technical elements similar to a short program (with an extra 3T instead of a 2A).

Jumps: 3T-2T, 3S and 3T
    Spins: level 1, level 2, level2
    FW: Level 1
    Spirals - Level 2

Looking at that, she would have a long way to go to be competitive at Worlds.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  24. FantAsia

FantAsia Member

25. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

So I will plead ignorant. There is now a Team competition? Why shouldn't she join it? Hell, she's got the shoulders and arms to whip herself right into a team comp. I'd rather see Joannie muscle her way through a team comp than some nobody.

At this moment I could not tell you who is the current world gold medalist. Ten seconds later, nada. No JPN, no USA. Why wouldn't Joannie have a shot? Go for it, JR.

Was it Lepisto? Kostner? That Russian girl who skated to Marilyn Monroe?!?!? I know I could do an easy google search, but the fact that I'm not even sure who is WC is odd. Was it that Russian woman who is sooooo going to be surpassed this year? Whose lutz and flip are identical?

26. Susan M

There are probably other Canadian ladies who think they should go if she can't do more than 3S and 3T. Canadian ladies are not deep at this point, but there is a youngster up from juniors who would probaby be stronger than Rochette could be by next year. I don't know who their second lady would be - Lacoste?

BTW last year's World podium was 1. Kostner, 2. Leonova, 3. Suzuki.
    (You're right, though, ladies event at present is kind of dull.)

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's assuming that a Canadian Lady will make top 10 in London to earn two spots. Otherwise, if a Canadian Lady qualifies for the Olympics in London or at the Fall Olympic qualifier, the one Lady who makes the Olympic team in January 2014 will compete, by definition, in both the Team and the Individual events.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Didn't know Kimmie had competed here.

29. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Wow...she skates in a pro event and doesn't do loop, flip and lutz, and people are writing her off?

:blah:

30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Jaded Nagasu fans are sooooooo :EVILLE::2faced:.