Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, May 3, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of media attention she would be subjected to if she came back. That could certainly make the Olympics a less than happy experience for her. I hope that has figured into her calculations.

[already imagining the sobfest that NBC would make from her story :eek:]

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Joannie back, but have to doubt whether this will actually happen. She's been saying "maybe" to coming back to competition for awhile now and has yet to actually do it...

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think that Rochette should come back if she doesn't want to, but Phaneuf was in Vancouver.

I wish that if she does plan to come back, that she'd do it this year, to earn two spots for next, so that if Osmond, for example, the only Canadian lady to make the TES minimum for Worlds last year, and in junior competition, were to have a great year, or Lacoste were to control her nerves, and either were to come close but miss top 10 in London, that Rochette wouldn't swoop in and get the single spot.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

I'll be very happy if Joannie wants to come back to competition and does. I think Kaetlyn Osmond will be in contention for 2nd at nationals, but it remains to be seen if Cynthia's time with Orser will result in better performances under pressure.

5. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

In most cases, I would agree with you... except looking at the Canadian ladies, we have Cynthia, who already had an olympics in Vancouver, I can't really think of anyone else other than Lacoste or Osmond (who is still just moving up to senior). On top of that, if Joannie were to come back, she would probably (hopefully) skate at 2013 worlds? and win back 2 spots... so her and another lady can get the second spot for the Olympics. But then again, I think I'm being hopeful... I would love to see Joannie return!

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Rochette said that she was planning to be a spectator in London. She could, of course, change her mind.

7. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I hate this argument. The Olympics is not a charity event. If any of the Canadian ladies want to compete at the Olympics, then they can go head to head with the best skaters in their country(which may include Joannie) and earn their place.

IMO

8. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

And IMO

Besides what Cdn lady? Phaneuf and Lacoste have proven over and over they can't bring it when it counts. Sigh. ATM that leaves Osmond. Really hoping that Osmond will have what it takes - as a skater and as a competitor.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I agree. Especially now with the NJS a former pro cannot just join in unless they have done their homework and honed their jumps, spins, FW, etc to satisfy the requirements. It always has seemed like a weak complaint "Let the new ones have THEIR TURN". Well, you want your turn, you get your levels up, skate consistently and then see what happens. Cohen wasn't gifted another Olys, she had to work for it, and she didn't make it. I have been unimpressed with CDN ladies forever except for Rochette. It's not Rochette's problem that no one else in Canada will step up to the plate. It's still her 'turn' as far as I'm concerned.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That doesn't apply anywhere..EVER. No one gets a turn or a chance. You earn your spot, fair and square. This is an Olympic sport, not a tee ball tournament where everyone gets a hit and to run around the bases.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Posters are pretty much saying that if Rochette wants it, she automatically gets the ONE ladies place. I think she should have to earn it just like anyone else, and that means competing prior to the Olympics---and not just at the National level. It seems that she will not compete in the coming season, except at a pro event in Japan.

If Joannie DID compete in the 2013-2014 season and fairly won her ticket to Sochi, that would be her last eligible competition, leaving Canada once again with no leading lady skater.

At some point, Canada needs to develop its ladies talent. It isn't fair to Rochette or the other Canadian ladies to depend on Rochette to step in and 'save the day'.

12. lise

lise New Member

it may not be fair but the others need to step up. The fact that since Joannie took a break, no one has stepped up to the plate and took over. There is talent coming up, but i could see SC buttering up Joannie to come back.

I went to SOI and saw her skate next to Cynthia. Honestly, it was night and day; Joannie is a much stronger skater and skates with much more confidence than she used to. Her artisitic side has developed considerably and to imo, she is the most complete skater we've had in more recent years and truthfully, the only one that is competitive on the world stage at this time.

i certainly hope she comes back as I believe she can win Worlds but i want her to come back on her own terms. We do need her for now but this season and next could be Osmond's time to develop the skills she needs without without the big spotlight. skate Canada did the same to Jen Robinson in 2003 and 2004 in terms of asking her to come back as we were facing the same problems.

13. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Where are posters saying that she should automatically get the ONE Olympic spot? People are talking about hypothetical situations where Joannie may or may not compete this season or next and what expectations may or may not be placed on her. Nobody is saying screw the up and coming ladies and just hand the Olympic spot to Joannie. :confused:

Again, you can't take away a position that someone doesn't have and hasn't earned, and that includes a "leadership" position. Currently there is no leading Canadian lady IMO and and if Joannie comes back and pushes the current envelope, you could argue that this will do more for the development of Canadian ladies than simply going with whoever falls the least *cough* Phaneuf/Lacoste *cough* .

If these girls want a spot on the Olympic team, then they need to up their game and fight for it. That's how champions are made. JMO

14. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

If Rochette is considering of a comeback because she just loves to compete, that is understandable. Maybe I´m wrong, but my impression has been that her best results she has achieved in competitions held in NA?

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think what most of us are saying is that, at this point, Rochette could win the Canadian Nationals SP with her exhibition skate, and could win the whole thing with Kostner-level technical content, although she's likely to have more than that anyway. No one is saying that Skate Canada is going to appoint her to the spot, or that the ISU will give her a minimum score bye, if there is a minimum score for the Olympics.

16. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Can someone explain why Rochette was over 10 points higher than a clean Nagasu at the last Olys? After taking off my rose-colored glasses, I really think Nagasu should have been closer.

17. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

That screeching sound you hear is the result of the sharp left turn this thread just took.

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Nagasu PCS was very poor. TES was fine but PCS poor - like Rochette in Torino!!!

19. Zazy

Zazy Member

20. cem2

cem2 Member

Anyone want to translate the important stuff.....

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I thought Google translate worked fairly well.

The most interesting part -for me- was hearing she wouldn't have considered ("dreamt", according to the article) coming back without the team event being added into the mix. And, paying tribute to her mother and all the things she did to help her out was also v. nice.

22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Osmond vs. Rochette is coming!

23. alilou

ioana thanks for the google translation. (I can never figure out how to work that :duh: )

And the translation is just fine.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Joannie was the established skater and Mirai was the new kid on the block in Vancouver compared to the other top skaters. Plus Joannie skated with much more maturity.

25. alilou

Plus Joannie had/has excellent jump technique on all jumps, plus the only mistake she made was a step out on the flip at the beginning.

26. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Translation of the article into 'non google' English:

In Joannie Rochette’s memory, Russia is a cold country, not to mention glacial. A climate like its people. She is not indifferent to learn that Sochi is located 800 kilometers south of Moscow, and grows palm trees. To commit to the 2014 Olympic Games, it is only that ... she is not ready to commit. Yet.

With fewer than 500 days to the Sochi Olympics, Rochette has not yet decided to get back in. "At this point, I really can’t give an answer. It changes every day,” summed up the 26 years old skater, whom we met yesterday afternoon before a workout.

"If I were to go to the Games, Rochette continued, it would be one of the biggest challenges that I have ever attempted, just to make the team and compete at the Canadian championships. That's why I hesitate. It's hard. "

The athlete, born in Île Dupas, is torn.

Rochette has never been able to draw a line under her amateur career, which still pulls at her. She thought about taking a year or two before being caught by the whirlwind that followed her bronze medal at the Vancouver Olympics, in the circumstances that we know. For two and a half years, she has skated in professional shows at the rate of fifty a year, but each time asking the permission of the Canadian federation, which allows her to retain her amateur status with the International Skating Union.

"I have not lost very much"

This schedule has allowed her to keep in shape and retain technical level up. "What surprises me is that I have not lost very much," she confirmed, and who will participate Friday in a professional competition in Japan. "I still have triple-triple combinations when I compete. I am at a level astonishingly close to where I was in 2010. It almost annoys me ... "

It would be so much easier if she was not still competetive! The level of competition at the last World Championships in Nice, where Italy's Carolina Kostner, a former rival won with only five triple jumps, also tickled Quebecer. "I might have been able to win," the 2009 silver medalist couldn’t help but think.

To claim an individual medal in Sochi is another story. The skater will then be 28 and three years without competition are not be without consequences, including what the judges might think. Aware of what is going on in the skating world, Rochette can’t help but know that a new generation of Russian skaters may emerge in 2014.

Clearly, Rochette fears that a sixth or seventh place finish in Sochi - what would otherwise be a fine personal achievement – would overshadow her bronze medal in Vancouver. "As an Olympic athlete, you always want to do better or match what you did in the past. How would that be seen by people? Because there are always expectations. I do not know how I would live with that in the future. "

She remembers a conference of ex-skier Brian Stemmle. Very emotional, he never really digested his swan song at the Nagano Olympics when he missed a turn at the end of a run where gold seemed to be in his grasp.

Rochette would also have to find a new coach. Manon Perron, who worked with her right up to Vancouver, is now in charge of development in the province of Quebec. Joannie met her two weeks ago for advice. And so? "I could go either way," said the smiling six-time Canadian champion, who would have no doubt preferred a more definite opinion.

A determining factor

A crucial factor might tip the balance: the inclusion of a new team event at the Olympics in Sochi, without which Rochette would never dream of returning to the circuit.

With the recent retirement of Cynthia Phaneuf, her presence could be crucial for Canada, already well represented in the other three disciplines. The idea of makong history and participating in a team competition intrigues her.

"If Joannie wants to return and get back to work, of course we would be very happy," affirmed the high performance director for Skate Canada, Mike Slipchuk, saying she should first establish herself again on the national level .

Ambivalent, Rochette has given herself until January to decide. "To get there, I know how intense it is, said two-time Olympian. I am willing to make the effort, but it is a big investment of time and effort, both physically and emotionally. Your social life goes by the board. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. "

Mother and coach in life ...
    Joannie Rochette doesn’t really remember the Vancouver Olympics. The tragic death of her mother has blocked everything out. "I had a big “down” after the Games. For two years, I was torn up about it. It's starting to get better. "
    With hindsight, Rochette understands better the role played by her mother during hr career. "She was my life coach, my manager, my secretary, she listed. It was she who made the link between my personal and professional lives. She was my psychologist, my confidante. She had encouraged me, to see me skate. I did not realize, but it was a full-time job. "
    The 26 year old skater says she has had to take that into account in the process of thinking about the decision for the Sochi Games. "I will not be able to hide the fact that she is no longer there, it's hard."

27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

The Canadian federation is probably only worried about who can get them the team gold.

28. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Based on what I saw in Germany I'm now actually dreaming of Osmond AND Rochette in Sochi, which mere months ago I would have thought impossible.

I think Osmond's performance in Windsor will help us see if she really is the carefree competitor she claims to be. It's that attitude that just may make her able to handle representing Canada in London. I think Slipper has assessed that already and is why they didn't even put her near a JGP.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That doesn't apply, EVER. You earn your spot, no one has anything taken from them. No one is cutting in line at the cafeteria. This is my biggest pet peeve when talking to figure skating fans.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That's not true. If Michelle Kwan said that she was going to return to competitive skating, everyone on this board would be saying, "step aside Kwan, it's Rachael Flatt's turn now!!!"

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.