Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, May 3, 2012.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

There is a BIG, BIG difference between skating a FS in the Japanese Open and doing TWO SPs and TWO FSs at the Olympics.

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Joannie has the advantage of not facing nearly as tough competition as Sasha did at US Nats 2010 even without the US having dominate skaters.

3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I LOOOVVEEE Joannie and would love the excitement her return would bring to the ladies field!!!!

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but here is a recent video interview with Joannie and PJ Kwong re. Her possible return and the state of ladies skating in Canada (boy is she gorgeous! Like fine wine :swoon: )

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEDs6BtugGY

4. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

5. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I would love to see Joannie come back to competitive skating, but only if that's what she really wants to do.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I don't know whether she will medal in Sochi, but one thing for sure, she will be more competitive than Asada and Kostner.

7. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Are you talking about the championship title at the Korean national or a spot in the World championships? It's true that Yu-Na didn't compete at the Korean Nationals for several years. However, her placement at the World brought two spots to Korea for the 2008-2012 seasons. IIRC, Min-Jeong Kwak never missed a senior-level ISU championships so far. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. I always enjoyed Rochette, I think she is in the same league as Kostner and Asada. On each day every one can defeat the other one, so it is which one has better nerves in the moment. Kostner has defeated her many times, and while Rochette had her best years in 2009 and 2010, and that is were Kostners worst years, now Kostner has turned consistent and Rochette hasn't competed since. No idea where she would be now. :)

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Like others have posted above, Rochette has competed in Japan Open. AFAIK, she has skated pretty well in those events and has shown that she has kept in shape.

Kostner, on the otherhand, has watered down her technical content considerably these couple of years.

If Rochette can bring her strengths, i.e. rare ability to land all 5 types of triples and her 3T-half loop-3S combo, she will have the edge over Kostner with out the lutz.

As for PCS, I would have them evenly matched. They both have excellent skating skills and capable of performing to music.

10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. Canada has one spot next year at Worlds.

2. The Olympic spots are given first to the nations with two or three spots, and then the remainder are decided at a designated senior B, right? I believe it was Nebelhorn before Vancouver.

3. So if the Canadian lady at Worlds 2013 is outside the top ten, Canada doesn't have a guaranteed spot at the Olympics. However, one of the rules with regards to the team event is that a qualifying nation is allowed to submit one entry should they not qualify in singles, if I understand it.

Should be interesting next season.

11. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

from Japan Open: Rochette FS TES score 50.74 PCS 62.00 Tot 112.74 in the free skate, witch is lower than all Kostners FS this year. And Japan Open isn't the same as GP or 4CC or Worlds. Nevertheless I would like Rochette to came back, just not expecting her to automatically be on the podium
    Carolina has done a lot of lutzes last season, but she opted not to include them in her competition program. Witch doesn't mean she wouldn't do it in future

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I know she was dealing with a lot after the Olympics and probably made the right decisions for herself, but part of me wishes she would have stayed in and nabbed a world title. The performances we've seen at the last two WC could have been easily beaten by a solid Joannie IMO. Whatever she decides, I wish her the best and if she comes back I will enjoy watching her no matter where she places.

13. euterpe

So then Rochette would probably prefer that Canada doesn't qualify a lady for Sochi at Nebelhorn (or whatever the qualifying event turns out to be). That way, she would have to do only the team event and not singles.

I wonder how Skate Canada would look at it: would they be willing to have NO lady in the singles event in order to get Rochette for the team event?

14. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Who would be her coach, since IIRC her coach is now somewhat retired and instead focusing on a position with Skate Canada?

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That is not the case. A country can substitute up to two skaters/teams for the FS/FD, if they qualify more than one in the discipline for individual events.

I'm sure Rochette would prefer a scenario where she only did the team event, but considering that for 2010, Ladies placing 1-21* in LA qualified, it would take a pretty big meltdown for Canada not to qualify a single Ladies skater in London. Even had Russia #3 and USA #2 placed above her, Lacoste still would have made it this year. I don't think Skate Canada would remain credible if they didn't have a Ladies competitor at London.

*Men up to 23rd place, Pairs up to 13th place, and Dance up to 17th place qualified at LA (Comm. 1568). Georgia didn't use its second Ladies spot, and there was an extra qualifier spot at Nebelhorn.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  16. jeb

jeb New Member

I thought countries could earn one Olympic spot by having a skater place in the top 24 at the previous Worlds. If the total number of skaters that qualify that way (ie one per country with a skater in the top 24, plus the extra spots for the countries that qualify 2 or 3 skaters) is less than 30, then the extra spots are awarded based on the Qualifying Competition (like Nebelhorn).

17. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

last time it was top 18 who earned one spot

18. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

19. maharbabackward

maharbabackward New Member

Why wouldn't she want to do singles anyway? She'd have programs for SP and LP, why not at least compete? She's guaranteed at least a top ten spot IMO which would not be anything to scoff at. And she could, with all the inconsistencies of ladies in recent years, very well medal. And if she competes in the team event IMO they have a fairly legitimate shot at gold

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It depends on the year and the competition, but Top 24 didn't guarantee a spot in Vancouver:

Ladies: Top 21, 24 spots altogether (one not used)
    Men: Top 23, 24 spots altogether

--

Pairs: Top 13, 16 spots altogether
    Dance: Top 17, 19 spots altogether

She might for the experience, or if she's happy if she already earned a team medal, since team comes first, but she might not want to risk doing worse than in her first two Olympics. Also, training hard on tour is different than putting most things aside and focusing on full-time training and competition.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Is there a rule giving automatic entry to a reigning Olympic medallist? If not, Canada should just send Joannie to the 2013 worlds. She will finish in top 10, and secure a spot at the Olympics.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes, they are given to countries with three spots first and two spots second, but no, for Vancouver, ITA, SVK, EST, GER, POL, GBR, and TUR earned one spot each, with skaters placing 12-21 in LA.

The zip file would not open for me; I'm not sure if this rule is for one spot only, although, practically speaking, it would be hard to qualify that way unless there was a serious injury to a lone, top skater from that country.

No. Olympic qualification is like Worlds: it's country, not personal, qualification.

It's highly likely that Lacoste or Phaneuf will secure a spot in London, and if Rochette wanted to skate singles, she could compete in the qualifier (presumably Nebelhorn) in the Fall without skating in London. Even if no one qualifies through London or the Fall qualifier, Canada would be able to choose a Ladies skater to compete in the team event.

ETA: For Torino, in Ladies five countries (CRO, CHE, GER, AUS, SWE) earned single spots up to 19th place in a year where three countries earned three (RUS, USA, JPN) and five countries earned two (ITA, CAN, FIN, UKR, HUN). In Men, eight countries (BUL, SWE, JPN, CHN, ROM, ISR, ITA, BLR) earned single spots up to 22nd place, with two countries with three (CAN, USA) and five countries with two (CHE, CHN, FRA, BEL, RUS).

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

With Yu-Na's recent announcement, I am ready to Joannie to make a similar one. Yup. I'm ready. Ready, ready, ready!!! :D :rofl: :cheer2: :cheer:

24. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Imagine if we have a repeat of Vancouver's podium!!! :swoon:

mmm, on second thought, I REALLY want Kostner to medal :p

25. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

ok, y'all,
    Don't be bumpin up this thread without some hard core goodies to share!!

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, a Kostner, Kim and Rochette podium in any order would be great, for me. :swoon:

27. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I hope Joannie returns to the Olympics just so she can enjoy this one. I admired her strength in Vancouver, because anyone who has lost a close family member probably knows the zone/out-of-body feeling in those next days and weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if she has only vague memories of Vancouver. She deserves a happy Olympics and maybe it will also provide closure on not just her grief but the career her mother helped build with her. She has my support.

28. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

I'm all for a Joannie comeback, but I would think her 2006 Oly experience would have been a happy one, no? 5th place with one of the best FS of the event!

29. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And the best 3Lutz/2Toe combo in the SP !!!

30. euterpe

Joannie has been in two Olympics and skated beautifully in each. I think it's time for another Canadian lady to have the Olympic experience.

It isn't as if Joannie is all gung ho for Sochi, as she's made no plans to return for the coming season, and she chose to do the pro Japan event rather than the Japan Open. IMO, Joannie far prefers exhibition skating to competition. Skating four programs at Sochi when she's been away from competitive skating for four years is probably not what she really wants todo.