Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, May 3, 2012.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

At least SC is doing something.

No talk about the team event, where Rochette would most likely get that second Olympic medal should she return to competitive figure skating.

3. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I would so love to see more of Joannie's gorgeous skating, and she is certainly needed. However, I hope she will only come back if it is what she truly wants to do. She deserves to be able to do whatever will make her happiest and most fulfilled.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen to this!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.

6. Skate Talker

IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Is Cynthia Phaneuf younger than Joannie? The younger ones can still get the second spot if they can rise to the occasion. I don't think an overabundance of top competitors is a problem for the Canadian ladies right now. It's more a question of whether the time and expense of training is worth it to Joannie. She seems pretty marketable as she is.

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Generally it kind of bugs me when veterans swoop in only for the Olympic season, grab a spot and immediately leave eligible skating again (a la Boitano, Witt, etc.). I know all is fair in sport, but it sort of grates anyway.

That said, none of the current Canadian ladies are getting it done, and I'd love to see Joannie compete again, so I'm willing to be a hypocrite and say DO IT JOANNIE! :cheer2:

All the better if she can help out Skate Canada at 2013 Worlds.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

She is so coming back, but she is so humble that she wants to lower expectations.

10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It's tough to come back for a podium finish and I´m sure she knows that. I have no expectations of great results there. I don't usually like veterans returning but I don't see her getting a reputation bonus in Sochi. I think the team event for her could be fun and as Vancouver was bittersweet for her I wouldn´t begrudge her a fun Olympic experience. I think that makes me slightly hypocritical in my views but I just don't see her in the same light as other veterans returning, probably because of her back story and the fact she wouldn't be stealing a spot from any Canadian ladies ;)

11. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Man, I love Joannie's skating. It would be great to see her out there. Not even because the Canadian team needs her right now, but because she is truly a beauty to watch.

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

If she is serious about coming back, I would hope she would return in the fall season, like Plushenko, and not wait until the Olympic year.

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

So she said she doesn't plan to compete at 2013 worlds but will train 'intensely' this summer. My guess is no matter what we won't see her on the GP but I'll pray for a last minute decision to go to nationals and maybe we'll get lucky.

If I'm her I'm not just reviewing ISU eligibility rules, but I'm also negotiating terms to be selected to the Team Event. I assume this is her focus. Canada will likely only have one lady at Sochi and it will be the national champion, which may or may not be her. If I'm her I'd want some sort of assurance that I get the 2nd ladies spot in the team event so as not to waste my comeback. Something like "if I finish top 3 at nationals and score at least 150 points in a comp prior to Olympics you'll put me on".
    That's the kind of conversation I expect will happen.

14. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

If I were Joannie, I'd have taken a look at the current crop of senior ladies and believe that I could absolutely be competitive against this group. In fact, I'd think that at my 2009-10 level, I could have won Worlds in 2011 and 2012. Yes, there is a lot of talent coming into the senior ranks in the next 2 years, but there's no guarantee that all of those skaters will excel as seniors. I see no reason why she can't challenge for the podium if that's what she really wants.

15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, Cynthia is two years younger than Joannie.

16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I don't see Rochette having any problem getting the lone spot for 2014. Phaneuf and Lacoste don't have the technical chops, and Osmond has neither senior experience nor outstanding presentation skills.

I don't understand training intensively this summer and then not coming back to competition in 2012-2013. Unfortunately, I think the reason why she won't return for 2013 Worlds is that it conflicts with the SOI tour.

But if SOI is her priority, that means she won't return to competition until the start of the 2013-2014 season. That means another summer of intensive training and then competing at the elite level after she hasn't done so for more than three years. NOT the best scenario for success IMO.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I was never crazy about Joannie, but her return (assuming the year before the Olympics) could secure 3 spots for Canadian ladies in the 2014 Olympics. That will be good for their future.

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

3 spots? And who will be the other Canadian to make the top 10? That is if Joannie even makes the podium.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Well, if so, that someone probably does not think skating is a sport, but more a pageant.

20. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Canada has one lady. Should that lady place second or first at the 2013 Worlds, Canada would get three spots. If she gets 3rd-10th, two spots. 11th or worse, one.

21. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

In Vancouver there was so much drama going on that I believe Rochette deserves to have an olympic moment of pure joy! Off course the result she may achieve is important for Canada but wouldn't it be lovely to see Rochette in Sochi focused on the competition and also having a good time?

22. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

At her best had she stayed in competition, Rochette could have won Worlds in 2010, 2011 and this year against the current crop.

Joannie has such as masterful, subtle blend of presentation and technique, I would love to see her come back.

23. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow, good for her for even contemplating this.

24. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Kaetlyn Osmond is likely to be the 2nd lady this year.

25. Skate Talker

There is no second lady this year. Only 1 spot for 2013 Worlds

26. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

I didn't mean for Worlds, I meant at nationals.

27. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

There is ONE spot for ladies in the team event. One man, one woman, one pair, one dance team. If she does not qualify to the Canadian team (likely to only be on spot, unless next year's lady does well and qualifies two spots at next year's worlds), she cannot be a part of the team. Team members must be already qualified to compete in their individual event to be a part of the team.

28. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

The only thing that I have a slight issue with is that Joannie will be waiting until the last minute to begin competing again at a super high level. I think that philosophy is what costed Sasha a spot on the 2010 olympic team. Granted Sasha waited until nationals to compete Joannie might want to reconsider. Her talent and skill set are not in question but rather her nerves in big The only thing that I have a slight issue with is that Joannie will be waiting until the last minute to begin competing again at a super high level. I think that philosophy is what cost Sasha a spot on the 2010 Olympic team. Granted Sasha waited until nationals to compete Joannie might want to reconsider. Her talent and skill set are not in question but rather her nerves in big events. With the exception of G&G, there are not too many ex Olympic medalists who have toured for 3 years and came back to the top of their game. Also, Joannie medaled in Vancouver but was not without fault. We shall see though

Either way i would like to see her back another year but i think she owes it to herself not to wait until the Olympic season to enter competition again.
    events.

29. maharbabackward

maharbabackward New Member

Joannie has competed in the Japan Open every year since the Olympics. She has placed at or near the top at all times. She didn't have her lutz or triple-triple sequence but I don't think both are far from her arsenal as they were always fairly consistent. I've always thought it was unfortunate that Joannie stepped out of the competitive limelight because the new rules (the triple toe half loop triple salchow counting as a three jump combination) really work for her. Plus, look at the technical deficiencies of Kostner and Asada now and how she has the same tech content as Ando but IMO much better PCS, and she really could have been world champ the last two worlds. Canada's chance at gold in the team competition is bleak, unless she is on it. With her on it we have two gold medal potentials (V&M, Chan), Joannie (not definite medalist even if she regains her tech d/t upcoming Russians, but potential) and a solid top five-ten pairs team.

30. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

If nothing else, I think she should at least do the GP in Fall 2013, not start at Nationals 2014 hoping to qualify for the Olympics. I know that the current Canadian ladies aren't so hot but it almost seems unfair to them for her to 'waltz' in after being out of competition and grab the spot, if there is still only one spot (although I know Yu-Na has bumped Min-Jeong Kwak like this before).