Robin Szolkowy has a new partner Myriam Leuenberger?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by npavel, Jul 21, 2014.

1. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks for the infos npavel.

seems like leuenberger is lucky girl and might geht invitations to shows, she never dreamed off.
    though i am kind sad hearing robin in the last seconds of the clips, as it seems, that the ice between him and aliona/ingo is really frozen :(

but great to see him on the ice once more.

3. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

According to her ISU bio, she's only 11cm or so shorter than he is - and I understand that the height reported for Szolkowy in his bio may not be quite accurate. But I guess for skating shows, that won't be an issue since they can leave out more difficult elements.

5. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

In the video you can see that their difference in height is not big. But for shows it doesn't really matter. They don't have to do triple twists. ;-) Robin is a very strong lifter and if they do some nice lifts and maybe a double throw alongside with pair spin and spirals it should be good enough for the shows.

I still hope that once Aljona Savchenko finished her experiment with Bruno Massot and everything has calmed down between them, that she and Robin will skate together in shows. It would be a good story and they could have a "reunification" show in 2018. :)

6. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

It took Grischuk/Platov almost 20 years to reunite and by the time they did it wasn't too interesting anymore. Hope Savchenko/Szelkowy don't wait for too long....

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm glad Robin has a partner. :) I guess I'm not a good OES fan because I have never heard of Miriam. According to wiki, she has only had a singles career so far. Between that and her height, it's an interesting choice for Robin but I really hope it works out. It says her coach was Gheorge Chiper, so maybe she's voidy.

8 years (they stopped in 1998 and started again in 2006)... I agree that they missed out on some of their prime pro years, Platov wasting them in the partnership with Usova and Grishuk hardly skating at all... a real pity because when Grishuk showed up on those reality shows she was clearly in great shape so we could have been watching her for at least another decade.

8. inskate

inskate Active Member

What happened between them? I've been a bit out of the figure skating loop since the Olympics due to lack of time. It's sad to hear Aliona and Robin don't skate together even in shows. :(

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Brief summary: Savchenko would like to continue competing with a new partner through 2018 (see the Savchenko/Massot thread in GSD), while Szolkowy has retired from competitive skating and, it is assumed, had hoped to make money with Aliona by skating in shows (S/S originally were scheduled to perform in lucrative shows after Worlds in Japan and Korea, for example, but cancelled after Savchenko/Massot began training with Steuer).

Savchenko/Szolkowy last skated together in their home rink's Chemnitz show in April -- videos are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...uot-2014-show-in-Chemnitz-Germany-on-April-26

10. AKA

AKA Member

Can the skate after the shows together or does that mean they lose eligibility?

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Sylvia covered the main points, but just to add some details...

Savchenko wanted to continue competing. Szolkowy did not - they were committed to some shows post-Worlds including ATS, but I'm not clear on what he wanted to do long-term. Savchenko teamd up with Bruno Massot, and IIRC this was not supposed to be announced until after S/S did a farewell show in Chemnitz, but Szolkowy's fiancee told Daria Popova (Massot's then-partner) right before Worlds and the story broke. Savchenko was pissed off, and probably some not so nice things were said by various parties. Either Szolkowy did not want to do shows with her anymore, Savchenko was going to be too busy training with Massot to skate shows with Solkowy, or both, so Savchenko ended up going to ATS with Massot and they skated to Happy. So subtle.

It is, indeed, a pity that things turned out like this between Savchenko and Szolkowy and I hope they can patch things up eventually.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  12. inskate

inskate Active Member

Thanks for the explanations, Sylvia & Zemgirl! That's sad to hear, they were an amazing pair and I hoped we'd get to see them skate in shows after they retire. I hope they will sort out their differences eventually.

13. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I couldn't see the linked video, so I looked up Miriam L. Is this her skating for Switzerland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdfJAqLlAU&app=desktop

Indeed, it is too bad that after all Aliona and Robin accomplished together with Ingo through thick and thin, that things ended up this way. They should have definitely won an Olympic gold medal by now. I wonder if they had, whether Aliona would still have the fire to continue competing. If everything was worked out between just the two of them (Aliona and Robin), instead of it also involving Massot, Robin's girlfriend, and Popova, maybe perhaps a more amicable arrangement might have been reached. I also wonder whether the difficult emotions engendered by the loss in Sochi is what had Aliona so fired up to continue or whether she had eyes on Massot all along once she knew that Robin definitely wanted to retire at the end of the 2013-2014 season?

Oh well, nothing lasts forever, but S/S and S were definitely the bomb while it lasted -- The Three Musketeers Fade to Black ...

Best of luck to both new team partnerships for competition (S/M) and for shows (L/S).

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think that Aliona had her eye on Massot before. Its seems like she just decided to come back after not winning gold at the Olympics, and I think she originally wanted Robin to do another quad, but he wasn't interested. I think she was considering basically anyone at or near her level as a partner, and Massot was the one it worked best with.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

17. reut

reut Active Member

Quite disappointed by Robin's choice. Can't believe he couldn't do better than literally obscure European single skater. From the fact that Myriam was part of "Art on Ice skaters" team I derive Robin's fiancee had something to do with this.
    Quite disappointed by the level "Opera Pop" sets to itself if they take this pair to perform.

18. Laney

Laney Member

I think that Robin wanted to have a partner with whom he comes along well with and has fun. He said in the interview, that he finally has a partner who enjoys to laugh as much as he does. I guess he often had hard times with Aljona nd Ingo, so now he just wants to enjoy what he´s doing. Maybe he and his fiancee are good friends with Myriam since several years. We´ll see how it will work out, but for now I´m happy that HE is happy! :) And I´m also looking forward to see them in Verona :D

19. reut

reut Active Member

My impression from Robin as a person is that it's not that difficult to come along well with him. :) Glad to know he enjoys this project, always wished him the best and was glad to see his photos from Oberstdorf.
    Probably they were good friends since many years, this doesn't make this pairing closer to any decent level of pair skating.
    It might be good enough for some small club show or whatever, but from the show which positions itself as one of the best in the world I expect to see skaters on a totally different level. And "Opera Pop" apart I wish to Robin a totally different level, because he deserves that.

20. Laney

Laney Member

Oh, I knew what you mean. I also think he deserved someone better, but if it´s Myriam who makes him happy, well, I will not judge anything before I haven´t seen them. And I didn´t wanted to say it´s Robin who´s difficult to come along well with. He seems to me as the perfect partner you can only dream to skate with :D
    As for Opera Pop - well, if Aljona was allowed to skate with Bruno at ATS, it´s fair that Robin also get´s an invitation that big. Maybe it´s their only show of this level so I hope they can enjoy it :) We don´t know which connections they had for an invitation there - but I will not feel disturbed at the show when I see them skate in September!

21. reut

reut Active Member

Aljona/Bruno are on a different level and even back then already were. Also, if I'm not mistaken the change from Aljona/Robin to Aljona/Bruno happened almost in the last minute, I guess ATS had no choice. I doubt they would initially have planed to invite the pair who skated together one month only (and in their case both were at least pair skaters).
    It has nothing to do with fairness (life is not fair in general), it has to do with the level of skating. I expect from the show with the big name to have according level of skaters in the cast.

If this is the level of skating "Opera Pop" defines, I doubt I will make an effort to see it in September. Especially because from the very beginning the emphasize in this show was not on skating which already made me doubt if I want to see it.

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm glad his has a partner so he can tour professionally.

23. reut

reut Active Member

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I know nothing about Myriam, but there had to be other possible female pairs skaters with slightly higher profiles? I'm thinking someone like Violetta Afanasieva.

Heck, why not Robin and Shae-Lynn?

25. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Or Mukhortova?

26. aftershocks

Some of your posts sound reasonable re your desires and expectations as a skating fan. However, you surely drive a very hard bargain pertaining to Miriam skating with Robin. My Gosh, skaters must be at certain high level before you will set foot in an arena!!! Good luck with that. :p

I'm with Laney on this: I'm very Happy to know that Robin feels Happy with his decision for a new partner. Just as I am supportive and still a fan of Aliona, I'm also very supportive of Robin and I would still love to see his skating with whoever he has chosen to skate with (understandably its difficult to find anyone close to Aliona's caliber). Robin wants to still skate and have fun, and make money with his skating in shows, and he DESERVES for that to happen.

The skating of Savchenko/ Szolkowy and their amazing partnership with Ingo Steuer will always hold a fond place in my memory. And what they accomplished as a team will continue to impact pairs figure skating, and will be remembered in the annals of figure skating history.

27. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

Well, they also had Kostner, Lambiel, Plushenko, Anna&Luca, Duhamel&Radford. That's not what I would call a low level.

28. reut

reut Active Member

Thank you, I certainly have a luck with that so far. :p
    I'm not a big fan of shows in general, so if I make a special effort to come to another country to see the show I sure expect to see the best of the best. And, yes, skaters must be at certain high level (which is definitely higher than mediocre single skater trying to skate pairs), don't see anything wrong with that expectation.

29. reut

reut Active Member

And that's why I'm unpleasantly surprised to see that this year they invited such pair.
    But to be more precise a slightly different show had the named cast, "Opera on Ice". This year they plan something different, which has a great potential to be spectacular show as a whole. I'm not sure yet about the level of the skating in it. They have Carolina, Stephane, Anna&Luca this year too, but will they be skaters or more like hosts and performers I don't know.

30. aftershocks

Like I said, you are one tough customer, but especially when it comes to Robin and his new (in your estimation "low-level, mediocre single skater trying to skate pairs") partner.

Too bad you didn't demand to help him with his partner search and come up with someone more suitable to your exacting standards. :lol: