Riverdance on Ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by roxynova, Oct 15, 2010.

1. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Show is tomorrow in Lowell, Mass. Anybody going? Post reviews please!

2. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

YES...I'm going!!! Looks to be a great show!! I"ll post sometime Sunday when I return home!

3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Joannie's participating, according to her Facebook page

4. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Cast looks great with Joannie, Sasha, Jeff B, Mike W., Todd E., Belbin & Agosto, Steven Cousins, Shae-Lynn, Emily Hughes, and Evora & Ladwig The Kerrs were supposed to be in this, but I read Sinead has an injury!

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:cheer2:

Shae-Lynn... how fitting!

6. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Link to an interview with Todd Eldredge re: this show can be found here.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, LadyNit!

8. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

Tanith just tweeted that she's excited to skate riverdance footwork with Shae in the finale for about 5 seconds!! She likened it to getting to do an allyoop with Jordan LOL!! It will be wonderful!!

9. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

Ioana, moi and a friend are at the 2/3 empty arena. Show time is already t+5 minutes.

10. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I live very nearby but these shows zzzzz me. Of course, they must be better live than on TV, since you can actually watch the skating. I hope more people arrive and the show does well.

11. SaSherka

Michelle Kwan is in da house. Hosting the show with Nancy Kerrigan. I may be more excited about Riverdance!!

12. SaSherka

Intermission time. Joannie did a 3 flip, Jeff's program best suited the accompanying music and he did 3sal, 2a and a gorgeous 3lutz. Fun flamenco program from Shae with matching moves by flamenco dancer on stage. E&L did what looked like a modified version of a competitive program sans sbs jumps and throws. Fun show so far

13. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

Keep us posted on the second half, when you get a minute to do so! Glad you're enjoying it!!

14. SaSherka

Woohoo power outage in the whole building. Audience entertains itself by lighting the arena with cellphones. "Never a dull moment in TV making. Reminder that you will see a perfect show on TV in February" Huge cheer as the lights slowly reappear. Joannie gets a reskate!

15. SaSherka

And the show is over. A couple retakes, for that perfect tv moment.
    We were a small, but a very enthusiastic crowd! I spotted another fsuer with a large camera, so there may be photos later. Mine are just blurry snapshots from a small p&s.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Thank you for the reports (and hopefully photos!) from this show! I was thrilled to find out Amanda & Mark were added to the cast although I was sad to hear it was because the Kerrs had to pull out of the show. It sounds like a great show and I look forward to seeing it on TV. :cheer:

17. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

thanks for the real-time reports! Even the power outage - oikes!! Did they have live music along with the floor dancers? Was it awesome???

Yes, looking forward to pics if there are any! YAY!

18. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I went to the show too, and it was just as SaSherka said. I had forgotten just how dramatic Riverdance is. :lol: It might beat out figure skating in that regard! I think a lot of people were there because their son/daughter was performing. :D Everyone looked super polished and gorgeous - Tanith and Ben were lovely and smooth. Sasha does hit the loveliest positions. Joannie looked so fit - I wish more female skaters could have that extra muscle that she has. Evora and Ladwig were so beautiful too, I love seeing their lifts live. This was also the first time I'd ever seen Shae-Lynn live. Wow, does she have charisma! Everyone around me was talking about that. All of the skaters did Irish music of sorts. Which is why I was a little :confused: when Shae-Lynn did a flamenco program for her first number, since she's the one skater there who actually does have an Irish program (a Riverdance FD, of all things) associated with her! But she did an Irish number in the 2nd half that garnered a lot of applause.

I took some videos that I'll post whenever I get the chance. For now, here's Belbin/Agosto's first number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmcbDA7ptc

If anyone wants more info about certain skaters, let me know! For the others who went, was there an autograph signing at the end? I left after E/L redid their throw but before some of the step dancers redid their part.

ETA: One of Evora/Ladwig's performances. I thought they were doing Romeo and Juliet based on the costumes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Jh-qGhUos

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

They looked like they did part of their SP/LP and modified some of the step sequences to fit the Riverdance theme, but what I really liked was their look for the finale. They came in on some of the drum beats and with Amanda in a red dress & black tights looked very cutting edge. Sasherka and I looked at each other and went "that's a good look for them" at the same time. Maybe you could let them know that's something to look into for next season ;).

20. SaSherka

A quick add to literaryfreak's music comment - all skaters simply skated to the full Riverdance score, which includes flamenco and tap numbers.

21. literaryfreak

Ah, so that explains it! Sorry, I've never actually seen Riverdance before. The last time I saw some of it, I was probably 10. :lol:

22. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just got home. It was the Riverdance show, with skaters on ice a the sametime. when the dancers were on, it was hard to decide to watch dancers or skaters. When it was just musicians, easier to appreciate. Dancers were fab.
    I got there early, and Nancy and Michelle were taping stuff that is probably for the tv show. They were explaining what the show Riverdance was, and they kept retaping as one made a mistake, then apologized and they were laughing. Both looked lovely.
    Sasha was the first to skate after the group/intro. She had the prettiest green dress, one of the prettiest on a skater I have ever seen (IMHO). Skated very well, great charlottes/spirals.
    Everyone skated well.
    Treat to see Evora & Ladwig - it was announced they were last minute replacements. Just love that they are getting this type of opportunity. Definitely their program seem 'competitive'
    Jeff - just love how he is becoming an entertainer (compared to first time I saw him several years ago).
    Shae - just lovely. I always enjoyed her with Victor, but every time I see her solo, she seems so happy and more of a presence on her own.
    Wess - always the entertainer, skated with Shae for one song, so in comparison he seemed stiff in his 'Irish' steps.
    Tanith & Ben - nice to see, lovely skating.
    Joannie - very good skating, seems very confident, lovely
    Todd - always good, showing some personality
    Stephen Cousins -a crowd pleaser
    Emily Hughes - I always enjoy her, but she always seems rushed, but lots of energy.
    I really had the sense the skaters had fun doing this.
    Loved the live music! And glad to see Riverdance live, as I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it will not be touring much more.
    Good audience, over half full.
    And the power outage and the cellphones were funny. I guess no one has lighters anymore.

23. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Thank you SOOO much for that video of Amanda & Mark! :cheer: Those are actually their costumes from their 2006 LP (which was to Romeo & Juliet) and I have a feeling, especially with being added to this show at the last minute, that they grabbed whatever costumes they thought would work for their numbers and just went with the flow. They use a lot of their previous competition costumes for shows and practices so I'm not surprised by this. Those were beautiful costumes and I'll enjoy seeing them again in the broadcast (hoping they don't get chacked!). Thanks again for the video and I'm still beyond thrilled they got this opportunity! :cheer:

Thanks for this tidbit and I'll definitely let them know! :D

24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the reports so far. Looking forward to hearing more news about the show. :encore:

Can't wait to see the broadcast on February 19, 2011.

25. literaryfreak

I had never seen the costumes before so I was trying to wrack my brain to remember if they were doing Romeo and Juliet this season. But they're from a past season, thanks! For one of the other numbers, they wore the green/turquoise shiny costumes that we see so often, and one girl behind me was like, "Haha, they always wear those costumes," which annoyed me a little, because these costumes are expensive and if I were a skater, I'd reuse them as much as possible too. But then the person went on to say, "But that's ok, I love the costumes so it doesn't matter."

I have a short clip of Amanda and Mark in the red and black costumes ioana was talking about, I'll upload it when I can.

It turns out there was a reception afterward. I'm a little :wall: that I left before it (I knew this would happen), but it's probably a good thing I didn't get the chance to accidentally embarrass myself by saying something stupid in front of the skaters.

26. literaryfreak

27. SaSherka

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the videos! What a cool show. I really wish I could have gone but um, I'm at a family reunion in Florida, so... :rofl:

29. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

I went to the show last night! It's going to be very interesting to see what's actually shown on TV in Feb. There's were times when I didn't know who to watch...dancers or skaters!

Here's a quick tip to anyone that's going to a Disson show being taped for TV : Buy the cheap seats.... 5 minutes before the show...the bottom half of the arena was empty...(seems everyone purchased the cheaper seats) I thought to myself...it's not going to look to good on TV...Well guess what...they had all those people move down and fill in all the seats close to the ice! I myself benefited from this...I had purchased mid-range seats...center ice...but row 14....I wound up in row 3!! This also happen to me a few years ago at the Celtic Woman Ice show!!

As mentioned before Michelle Kwan and Nancy Kerrigan hosted, but they were only there at the start of the show.

The opening was fabulous. Loved the costumes! I wrote down the skating order: Sasha had the first solo, the Joannie and Steven shared a number she skated solo at first then he came out skated a little bit with her..then him solo and they ended the program together. Then B/A then Mike W. did any awesome number with the guy Riverdancers on stage...it was one of my favorite of the evening! Then Shae-Lynn did a flamenco number while a dancer was on stage. Evora & Ladwig were next (they filled in for the Kerrs, who had to pull out cause of an injury) it was a nice chance to see them! Emily, then Jeff...then it was B&A again....I was wondering what happen to Todd...he was in the opening...then we never saw him again during the first half! Riverdance closed out the first half with an amazing number!!!

After intermission "Spirit of Ireland" was performed by some children from a dance school! The were great!! I had seen them all in the lobby of the arena as I arrived. Riverdance resumed the with another amazing number on stage!
    E&L skated next I think this was the number were they had a wonky landing on a triple throw (they did a retake later and nailed it!)
    Jeff and Steven had a "Skate off" on ice while the dancers had a "dance off"on stage....dancers won that one...the were fantastic!!! Next was Joannie, her costume was a deep purple with lots of sparkles...it was during her spin that we lost power!! It took about 15/20 minutes to be up and running again and they started her number from the top!! Mike and Shae-Lynn had a nice number together! Shae is a pro at Riverdancing...lol
    Then Sasha....might I say that she is skating stronger than ever...No falls, no wobbles...jumps were solid!! Then Finally Todd's solo! He really knocked it out of the park!! It was another favorite program of mine from the evening!!
    Then the finale stated...skaters came out one by one...then in little groups...The show closed with another amazing (have I used that word enough??) Riverdance!! Emily, E&L were the only skaters to do retakes....Riverdancers also did a retake on one number!! What a fabulous night!!!

30. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

Thank you SaSherka and everyone, for the video links and the show reports - we totally appreciate it! And YES, we plan to watch the show when it airs on TV in Feb!! :)