RISE to air on VERSUS in October

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Visaliakid, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Acclaimed U.S. Figure Skating Film RISE to Make Television Premiere Oct. 22, 2011, on VERSUS

DVD and Blu-ray release to coincide with television premiere (will contain a DVD of 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Championships held that year in Colorado Springs, CO. It was the first National Championships to be telecast on a National TV Network).

U.S. Figure Skating story

2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Get out!! I just learned today I actually get the Versus channel too! :cheer2:

Now if I could only get Universal Sports. :wuzrobbed

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Is there a pre-order link for the DVD?
    I haven't found one yet.

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^So, the DVD is not out yet?? I check Netflix and when I type 'Rise' in the search engine, I get hundreds of results.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

At Amazon I get everything except the documentary I'm looking for, as well.

6. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

The USFS story quoted above says DVD and BluRay releases will coincide with the TV premiere. Guess that means 10/22/2011.

What amazes me is that I ACTUALLY GET VERSUS :wideeyes::wideeyes:

I have Time Warner and can't get Universal Sports or NBC Sports but by golly I get Versus - in HD - no less!!!!!

7. Pierre

Pierre New Member

I'm glad it's coming out on Blu-Ray.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to the DVD of the 1961 championships more than the DVD of the film itself? :slinkaway:

9. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

wow--I get Versus--who knew? Thanks for the heads up--I'm looking forward to this!

10. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Not to me. The only reason I might purchase the DVD is for the chance to see the footage of those Nationals. I have a feeling there won't be many complete programs shown. The sports coverage was pretty much news reel type highlights in those days.

11. maureenfarone

I think newreel coverage will be what we get. Still it will be interesting to see. Wasn't something mentioned - after the movie premiere - that more skaters stories would be included in the DVD? I'm probably getting the DVD for myself as a Christmas present...depending on the price. Didn't see anything about how much it the DVD/BluRay would be in the story.

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

OMG - I called it!!! Dig-out the original thread about RISE and see my post "wishing" that the DVD of RISE should include the 1961 US Nationals telecast film as an 'extra'! Wooo-hooo!!!!!

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

No it will be the original telecast of the competition. This isn't new; I've had a DVD of this competition for years and nearly all of it is on youtube, but it will be in much better quality.

14. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yes, floskate, in our original RISE thread, I mentioned my "wish" and you so kindly posted links to various competition segments. (Thanks!) The moment I read the announcement at the top of this thread, I thought only about the full telecast with Dick Button announcing. Now we are all looking forward to having a pristene 'sharp' copy. :)

Of course, it would be "extra nice" if the DVD would also include some newsreel footage of the ice-dance and pair couples who were chacked from the national telecast.

15. floskate

floskate Vacant

Maybe the original televised footage does exist for those performances. F. Ritter Shumway sent film reels of the event to each family. How awful would it be to pluck up the courage to watch it only to find your lost ones performance chacked? I feel sure they do exist somewhere and were sent to the families. Howard Crakers films for that year disappeared and never been found since. :eek:

16. maureenfarone

It would be great to see the original telecast including the pairs and ice dance. I hope it is really good quality. Maybe I was thinking about newsreel coverage of the pairs. Anyway looking forward to this.

17. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Thanks for the heads up! I get Versus too!

18. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Versus will air Rise beginning one hour after NBC's telecast of U.S. Nationals concludes on Saturday, Oct. 22. Start time for RISE is 7pm EST/4pm PST.

19. RUKen

RUKen Guest

I think you meant "one hour after NBC's telecast of Skate America".

20. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

USFSA members can now purchase the RISE Blu-ray/DVD through www.rise1961dvd.com. If you order by 10/20, you get a 5x7" picture of the storytellers.

Sales to the general public start on Friday, October 21st.

Order Site: www.rise1961dvd.com

21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

It's nice to know you can actually order the 1961 nationals DVD separately if you want.

22. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I wonder why Versus is showing this. I scrolled through their daily schedule and basically they broadcast hunting, hockey, and other shows aimed towards a male audience. (oh oh...am I stereotyping? :p)

23. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I have forgotten to record the movie on Versus today. Anyone have any idea when it will be shown again?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Just a reminder for those who get VERSUS: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47342&type=media

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

[post redundant now]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  26. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Saturday @ 7:30pm and immediately following @9:15pm. That's all I see for now.

27. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Wow! Just found that we have the channel as well. :D I look forward to seeing this tomorrow night.

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:cheer2: Can't wait for a weekend of skating! Skate America and Rise! :swoon:

29. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

After having "Rise" on my DVR for almost a month, I just watched it last night. I really enjoyed it and found it quite touching. Such a sad story!

I'm wondering if the version of Versus was shorter, since it only ran an hour and 45 minutes with commercials.

30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We have our DVD copy of Rise and the 1961 US Nationals now. A question for those of you who watched Rise on Versus - did they show the exhibition with Evan and the current skaters from Nationals (which followed the 2011 Nationals exhibition gala) on the broadcast?