Rise: the Movie

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by oh2tango, Sep 16, 2010.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

2. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I wonder if they will do some type of "50th Anniversary" memorial tribute at the next world championships ?

3. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Thank you, Sylvia! the 17th is a Thursday, isn't it? Hope I can go, especially considering it's playing at my local movie theater.

4. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Dunno, but the whole 1961 team is being inducted into the USFS Hall of Fame in Greensboro.

5. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

So weird that one of the theaters in Michigan (Oxford) is a dinky theater in a small town. There are huge theater complexes in suburban Detroit, and they choose Oxford. Great for me living close, but a weird choice.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I just purchased my tickets. Thanks Sylvia :)

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh yay, I'd hoped it would be showing in Ypsilanti :) Wonderful.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Wow, there is a showing in South Bend, or near enough!

9. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

I saw commercials for this during the Skate America telecast :) I sooo want to go see it!! Skating, history and a documentary in one? I'm sold. Bad thing is that our lease is up in Feb(yea!! Goodbye Vegas) and we are either moving back to Pasadena or to Orlando. As long as we leave Vegas I'm happy, but I don't know where to buytickets for. Hopefully they will continue to sell tickets for the showings for awhile. If they sell out whichever place we go, buying a DVD might be the only way for me to see this.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't believe there's a showing in Concord, NC (about half hour from me). I suppose I'll be there all alone because I don't know anyone who watches figure skating in my area. But who cares? The film looks fascinating! :cheer2:

11. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

For those who are unable to get to a theatre showing 'RISE' I obtained the battle plan that U.S. Figure Skating has developed for this event.

From USFS's Senior Director, Marketing & Communications -

The 'RISE' live event in NYC will be shown in theatres around the U.S. on Feb. 17, 2011.

In the works is a future DVD release and a special DVD distribution to all U.S. Figure Skating clubs at Governing council in May. Clubs will be encouraged to hold a private showing for members. The DVD will include the full 2/17 event, as well as special segments, extended versions/cuts, etc.

In addition, we are working on a TV distribution partner for next fall. We have some blackout periods after the event on 2/17 per our contract with Fathom events, but once those have expired we will announce more about these distribution channels.

Finally, icenwork.com will be the exclusive online distributor of the RISE event after we have exhausted the channels mentioned above.

12. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Any possibility or info. on it being a regular Theater release?

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was surprised it's playing the local "big" theater here and then I was like, "Well duh, Mirai lives here!" :lol:

14. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

She battled breast cancer.

15. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say does anyone know if it's going to be shown near me? I can't get the link. BTW. I keep wondering about the Pairs Team of Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov. The 1964 Gold Medalist that I saw at mmy Rink coaching one time. Does anyone have or know how far back their Nationals competitive Record goes? Because I've been wondering if that Team competed in the 1961 Nationals. They just never qualified for the Olympics.In which case it would be a case of what COULD have happened. I'd really love to know if I was indeed previged to find the sole-survivors of that Nationals Pairs Discipline on my Rinks Doorstep. Does anyone know

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It does look good. But they're not going the "Oh well, they died, but at least they made room for the next generation so it was all to the good!" route, are they? I know, sounds like a silly question, but anything like that really bugs me.

18. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. The death of the 1961 world team didn't really "make room" for the next generation of skaters anyway. TPTB at U.S. Figure Skating asked Barbara Roles-Williams to come back and compete in 1962. It wasn't until 1964 that Peggy Fleming won her first National title, and even she wasn't contending for World or Olympic medals that year. I think if Laurence Owen was alive in 61-64, there's no doubt she would have been (remained) the top U.S. woman.

19. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the list of the cast of who's playing who? BTW.is there any way anyone here who can locate a copy of the movie to send me after it comes out? As it may be the only way I could see it.

20. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

FSWer, it's a documentary, so it's just interviews and so on I think. :)

21. Lily Cai

Lily Cai New Member

Hopefully there is going to be a DVD release. For overseas skating fans like me, it's the only way to see it.
    There are few skating films. Hope there will be more and more figure skating films or TV series. It's such a beautiful sports. A figure skating film could cover so many interesting elements about the sports, like the music, the dances, the skaters, etc.

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Are you talking US Nationals?

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

FSWer, Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov are the 1964 and 1968 Olympic pair champions from Russia who competed for the former Soviet Union (see their profile: http://www.pairsonice.net/profileview.php?pid=99 ) so they never would have competed at US Nationals.

How neat that you saw them at your rink coaching -- was it recently?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's a nice entry on Ryan Jahnke's MySkatingMall.com blog: http://myskatingmall.com/blog/2010/11/14/adam-rippon-donates-outfits-for-the-memorial-fund/

25. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I'm going to see it with manleywoman, whee! :cheer2:

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

RISE had its world premiere Saturday at the Palm Springs International Film Festival: http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110109/SPORTS/101090350/Documentary-recalls-skating-tragedy

28. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,does anyone know i it's going to DVD like any other movie? If so,could someone please let me know when it does? Or is it posible if anyone here could please get me a DVD. copy of the movie when it comes out and send it to me? As I don't believe from what I saw that the movie was ever shown in my area. BTW. do we have a list of the cast on-line?

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's a documentary film so there are no actors. The storytellers (narrators) are listed here: http://www.rise1961.com/about-the-film/storytellers/
    They are: Brian Boitano, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan.

There's a behind-the-scenes photo gallery of the filming at: http://www.rise1961.com/multimedia/

There may be more information about a possible DVD after the film is shown nationwide on February 17, 2011.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  30. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So pics were just taken from books,etc. for the film,and they tell the story?