Rise: the Movie

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by oh2tango, Sep 16, 2010.

1. oh2tango

oh2tango New Member

The movie "Rise" commissioned by US Figure Skating is set to premiere for 1 night only on February 17, 2010 in 500 theaters nation wide.

Click here for the website and the trailer: http://www.rise1961.com

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I could not find any information there about what theaters will be showing the film.

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

It's highly unlikely that the theatres where the film will be playing will be available until about 2-3 weeks before the film opens.

5. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

deleted: double post

6. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Hi, think you mean Feb. of 2011 - otherwise we'd all have seen it by now! Thanks!

7. oh2tango

oh2tango New Member

Sorry, I realized I made a date error, now I can't edit the post. :wall: The correct date for the premier is:

FEBRUARY 17, 2011

8. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I can't seem to find any information as to whether or not this will be availble to purchase on DVD. Has anyone heard anything about it?

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

As it's a theatrical release, if and when it is, it won't be until it's had a theatrical run.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

This is very exciting! A REAL skating movie.

11. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Which appears to be all of one night?

It appears a lot of money has been spent making it.... but using the USFSA logic they may never recover those costs!

12. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

It sounds like the film is a documentary. Someone should do a movie (drama) based on the tragedy and how they recruited coaches to help re-build US Figure Skating.

13. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I mean, they make movies about such things as horses all the time. Was there any drama in Peggy Fleming's life? I think that would be a good idea if there was. Should start with the dominance of USA skating, then the crash, then ending with Peggy winning the Olympics, whose coach also died in the crash. She was also one of the first to benefit from having a foreign coach, which was a result of the crash. That was also the only gold medal won at those games. And I seem to remember her father driving a far distance to see her and then passing away. If she had an overbearing mother or something then it would be even better.

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

A source at USFS has reported that a DVD of the movie is being considered, to supplement the fund-raising effort to further the mission of the USFS Memorial Fund, which awards approximately $300,000 annually in grants and scholarships to skaters, recognizing performance both on and off the ice. Don't expect an early decision on possible DVD sales. Most likely further plans likely will come after the theatre premire.

15. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Can't wait to see it.

16. floskate

floskate Vacant

I really hope they release this on DVD. It's the only way I'll ever get to see it!

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I hope so too!

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's a recent local Massachusetts article on Bradley Lord, who died in the 1961 plane crash of the U.S. World team members, with quotes from his only sibling, Bruce: http://www.wickedlocal.com/swampsco...her-remembers-a-true-champion-in-Bradley-Lord

The following information on the RISE film was passed along to me for posting here.
    ==========================================================

The RISE film is funded through foundations and sponsors.

The list of theaters showing the film will be announced in mid-October. It is one-night-only, on February 17, 2011, but if ticket sales are really good the event company may do an encore showing.

Across the country, the film will begin at 8 pm EST. Starting at 7:30 pm, the theaters will show a "pre-film show" promoting the USFSA and the Memorial Fund. The film is 1 hour and 15 minutes long and before and after the movie, the theaters will go live to the main event in NYC. There will be an emcee (someone well-known from the sports world?). After the movie, the NYC event will have speeches (testimonials from those "close to the 1961 World team") and skating performances. The performances will be on tape, not live. The post-show will be about 45 minutes.

The "suggested" cost per ticket is $15, but theaters will be able to set their own prices. A portion of the proceeds will go to the USFSA, and this will all go to the Memorial Fund. It sounds like there are definite plans to sell DVDs at some point after the in-theater event. Every USFS club will receive a copy and the proceeds from sales will go to the Memorial Fund. It is possible that the DVDs will contain additional footage that was cut out of the movie.

USFSA is planning a huge media blitz. They have contacted national talk shows and the Today show, for on and around the date of February 15, the 50th anniversary of the crash. They are encouraging skating clubs that are near one of the RISE theaters to do media outreach locally by sending them materials and making additional material available on their website. This year, National Skating Month will be extended from January through February to make the most of the promotional opportunity.

19. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

Perhaps it will be shown on "30 on 30", the sports documentary program on ESPN. The sisters who are making "Rise" have another documentary being aired on "30 on 30" about Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova called "Unmatched," scheduled for Monday October 25th....

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From: http://www.examiner.com/ice-skating...h-theaters-to-screen-figure-skating-film-rise
    Here's the list of theaters across the U.S.: https://www.usfsaonline.org/Rise/Docs/RISE_Approved Theatres.pdf

Ticket info: http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/event/usfs_rise.aspx

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list of theatres, Sylvia. I'm glad to see that my one of the theatres in my town will be showing this movie -- it's one of only six in the state outside of the Chicago area to be screening Rise.

22. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I have a few options... but I also have a Girl Scout cookie delivery that's probably on that day....

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there's only one showing in winter sports mecca Wisconsin, and that it's in Kenosha (right over the border from IL). Maybe they'll add some more?

mysticchic and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it's showing anywhere near me. I expected to have to go to downtown LA to see it! Maybe I should go to LA LIVE anyway. Worlds 2009 memories! ;)

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I am thrilled that one of the Cincinnati theatres is only about twenty minutes away from my house! I wasn't sure if I would get to see the movie in a theatre or not. :cheer:

26. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting a theater in Ventura to show it, but one theater is doing so!

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I am so envious of all of you getting to see this.

Thanks for the listing of the theatres showing this. I posted a thread about RISE over at the Other Movies forum of the LOTR MB I belong to and it's gotten quite a bit of interest. They'll all be interested to find out if it's showing anywhere near them. :)

28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

FSU meet-up! :rofl:

29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Any idea how much the tickets cost? Are the seats reserved or general admission? I'd like to put together a group to go locally, but when I click the Ticket Info link I get a list of theaters near my zip code, and not any price information.

30. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Sylvia posted upthread that there is a "suggested" cost of $15/ticket, but that theatres will be able to set their own prices, with a portion going to the USFS's Memorial Fund. As to whether reserved or general admission, that might also depend on the individual theatres.