"Rise" review - Did it rise to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Bringing the discussion back to the 1961 team, have to agree with Frau here on Indelible Images. The picures are AMAZING. Steffi really was a "little Shirley Temple," and finally a picture of Lawrence in color. And apparently Rhode was quite the nocomformist hellraiser! There is a section on each skater and person who was lost. Well worth the money, so glad I bought this.

2. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

If I remember correctly, the reason the US team were traveling together is that the Czech government only issued them a blanket visa, not individually.

As they flew directly from the North American Championships, several Canadian skaters and coaches (who had individual visas) were originally booked on the same flight, but opted instead to go to England prior to Worlds. I was in London on my way to Prague, when I came out of a restaurant to see the huge headlines in all the papers - absolutely devastating. It is in my memory as if it was yesterday.

3. logmein

logmein New Member

I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I really wanted to know more about the other skaters and coaches, and even officials, who perished. The Owens Family is well known. I found my interest peaked when they delved (shallowly) into Broadmoor and the coaching void.
    I love the scott, brian, michelle, dorothy - but really, I am so tired of them. I wish they would have had more with Tim Wood, Luddy, etc...people who were directly affected (rather than those remotely affected). I found Frank more human and touchable after this film. I also found the gold medal with Evan to be quite interesting when they showed Michelle's response.

Vera Wang is awful - and I bet she funded a lot of the movie....otherwise, why did they show her? I did not know she was that old, though, to have been skating with the 61 team.

I think this could have been so much more if they had stuck with the original idea, and left out the psycho-babble from Brian, Dorothy, MIchelle, etc about their parents. Been there, done that....get over it Dorothy!

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. logmein

logmein New Member

You've hit the nail on the head. This is what was lacking for me, too.

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

And you aren't nearly as witty/precocious/wise as you think you are.

Oh, so that's why she's still alive. ;)

Because she's well known...

The audience gasped when she came on-screen at my showing too because of how thin she is.

Anyway, to answer the OP's original question... I had extremely low expectations of this film. Lower than low. Pretty much none of the pre-showing PR made me want to see it. I went to see it only out of loyalty.

As a result, I was pleasantly surprised. I could have done with less of this and more of that, but overall I thought it was well done and interesting and moving. OTOH, the only thing that made me choke up was when Evan was skating with the little kids at the end. I thought that was super-sweet and showed the whole spirit of the film by showcasing the young ones who keep the sport going with the older, established skater(s) who were once the young ones themselves.

Oh and my audience was mostly the adult club members with some middle-aged fans and a handful of younger skaters.

6. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Did Vera fund the movie? There were 5 families/foundations listed in the special skating magazine which we got, Tom Collins was specifically mentioned.

And wasn't Michelle gracious re Frank and Evan's being able to give Frank what she couldn't? So touching.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Vera is 61. I thought she was a lot younger as well.

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

That sounds very touching.

9. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, she's famous.

For another, she WAS one of the last people to see them alive, or at least skating.

10. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

I've never heard about Mabel's hand in Tai & Randy's success, could you share more please? Randy did the choreo for the final group number....would have been a good link to highlight.

I did not know this until reading here: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/15/sports/la-sp-figure-skating-crash-20110215 - Linda Leaver skated with many of those lost in the crash.

11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Yeah, but Leaver's grief never came to light through Boitano's presence, in fact she says she never spoke of it to him. I guess his purpose was to represent the same category as Evan, but it kind of fell short. Thanks for the article, though. Too bad they didn't get Linda on to represent that group.

12. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Mabel Fairbanks was Tai's first coach and paired Tai and Randy together. Tai has some great pictures of her on her Facebook page. Mabel accomplished a lot considering the prejudice she was dealt. The Rosa Parks of skating?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Obituary for Mabel Fairbanks in the LA Times (October 04, 2001):
    Page 1
    Page 2

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Tai talks about her involvement with Mabel in Episode #28 of my skatecasts. Very interesting how Mabel got them together.

Which again makes me wonder why Linda Leaver then wasn't interviewed rather than Brian. Brian just seemed like the odd man out on that panel. I thought it was strange that he was a panelist rather than Tim Wood or someone.

15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Each of the panelists was really, really well known in the larger community. Tim Woods would have been a "who?" to most people. I think that the USFSA was (weirdly) trying to pitch this event to a much broader audience, rather than realizing that those who were interested enough to go were very likely to be rather significantly involved in figure skating as fans, parents or skaters, skaters, or officials. Scott, Peggy, Dorothy, Brian & Michelle are pretty much the people you would have guessed they'd pick from the post-1961 era. Each has strong public awareness, great popularity, and few negatives.

I don't think that their assessment was accurate -- I think that the people who actually turned out to see the event would have been quite happy to hear from Tim Woods or Linda Leaver.

16. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ barbk; you nailed it! Gary Clark got the most laughs at our theater a) because he was funny and b) we all know him!

17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

WOW!

Makes me glad I wasn't near you. If you call people jerks it makes me wonder how you really behaved????
    IMHO it is NOT appropirate to cheer in a movie theater or randomly applaud.... and ever effort should be made to keep your giggles under control. You aren't a five year old at Toy Story 3!..

18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

You have no heart. There was nothing inappropriate about cheering, laughing and applauding when warranted at this 'red carpet' event. As a ballet and opera subscriber, I wouldn't do it in an opera house but this RISE event was hardly that.

Besides, as a good Latina, I'm one of those who applauds as the airplane lands in San Juan...as does every Puerto Rican on board. :) Amazingly, Russians do the same, as their planes land in Russia, especially during the holidays. So I'm a Puerto Rican cheerer married to a Russian cheerer. It's good to show heart, when warranted...and RISE certainly was such an occasion, even though everyone in our theater was mournful when the part about the 61 team's airplane was shown. Horribly sad there - but skating rose from the ashes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I smell a new rep level! "___ has no heart."

As for Mabel Fairbanks, I wish they had had time to talk about her a little more. They said she had a "brilliant career" but that was it, and I was left wondering about specifics.

20. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Huh??? :confused:

Mabel deserves her own documentary and bio.

21. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Agreed.

This wasn't her story, it just crossed her story. And it crossed a lot of people's stories. They could never tell the whole thing, not with the amount of time they had and with how far the "degrees of separation" lead with the people on the world team and what we would call their "connections" in horse racing.

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

23. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Randy Gardner did. That was the most thrilling part of the whole thing in Greensboro--watching from the second row while Randy worked with Alissa and Ryan and the other skaters before the filming.

24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I wonder if Evan did do the choreography for that one routine, though? (The program with the kids from Greensboro carrying the flags and Evan carries the little girl.) I think I recall the announcer saying that Evan had choreographed that piece before it started.

Randy wasn't as involved in setting it up on-ice, whereas for the numbers with the champions, he was very hands-on and involved.

Psssttt....the routine that ended with the lit candles took two takes because someone's (*cough*Ryan*cough*) candle didn't light on the first runthrough.

25. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Matt Lauer incorrectly stated that Lysacek choreographed and produced the skating exhibitions for Rise. The credits at the end of the movie correctly credit Randy with producing and choreographing the exhibitions.

26. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Well, the announcer at Nationals definitely said Evan choreographed some routine...perhaps it was his own exhibition, not the group ones.

27. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but go to
    http://www.rise1961.com/
    and click on the "redeem tickets" button.
    Some time after you complete the survey, you'll get an email receipt to print out and return (address is listed) with your ticket stub.

28. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I was at nationals and the announcer did not say that Evan choreographed anything. However, it was mentioned numerous times that Randy choreographed the exhibition numbers. Moreover, Lori Nichol choreographed Evan's exhibition number at nationals.

29. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I've on occasion, cheered or clapped during a movie, and...heaven help me...even giggled. :eek: The funny thing is, lots of other folks in the audience were doing the same thing (imagine that!) I guess we will all just have to crawl back under our big ol' uncouth rock... :drama:

30. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I liked "Rise" and will probably see the repeat on March 7. Was the the movie I would have made? Probably not, but I didn't make the movie; therefore, I have no business imposing my view on the product.

It is what it is.