"Rise" review - Did it rise to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

No, he reassured everyone that he is fine--except for a touch of the flu.
  2. QB

QB New Member

"and they did ignore some skaters all together, like Bradley Lord."
    How can they possibly say this film is a memorial and then ignore skaters who died? I was appalled to think what their family members must feel.
    The editing made this a tribute to Maribel Vinson to the detriment of many other deserving storylines.
  3. talulabell

talulabell New Member

does anyone have any info on that ticket exchange thing? I went to the Rise website, but dont see anything. Supposedly, you can go to the website, put in something about your ticket, and get a commemorative pin and ticket.
  4. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

the gasp from our audience was akin to the gasp one makes when shown a picture of extremely malnourished and emaciated children.
  5. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Didnt he say that he had just heard that his tumor was back? I thought the comment about the flu was how he actually felt (just got over the flu), but otherwise, felt fine.
  6. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

I was at Union Square- there was a good crowd, but there were empty seats. I'm glad I went, but I don't feel that I learned anything I didn't already know. I also wanted to see more film of the 1961 championships.
  7. JamieElena

JamieElena Active Member

I was a little surprised there wasn't more mentioned about the other skaters, especially Bradley, Rhode and the Hickoxes but I'm hopeful that those may be some of the scenes that they mentioned will be on the DVD.
  8. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

Anyone try to do the survey to get your collector pin and skating magazine? Its not so easy to find :)
  9. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am really glad I went. The movie was, at times, very funny and then again it was sad. Peter Carruthers was a waste of film..what was up with that? I went to see it in Nashville and the theatre was packed. There was an audible gasp when Vera Wang was shown. I thought the vintage films were wonderful and the fact that they had family members speak of the team made it very special.
    There was a Garden Kitty sighting in the actual New York audience. I'm jealous;)
  10. SwingDancer

SwingDancer New Member

Wait, so Scott is sick again?
  11. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

They did mention the woman in Texas who didn't want to participate & then changed her mind & provided pictures of her family member (forgot which one). So it may be that the skaters who were left out of the film were left out because their families didn't want to take part or to provide any memoribilia. But all the skaters were listed by name.
  12. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I have to admit to being truly disappointed at not getting **whole** programs from the skaters we lost :( I thought that this being a movie made for and about figure skating it would be the right time to show at least the four champions' free skates from Nationals '61: that would've really, truly driven home to the audience just exactly what we lost that horrible day. I really had hoped to see all of Laurence's especially, but after seeing the clips of the other champions, I really want to see them. I can't believe that the only "whole" program we saw was from Evan... we've seen countless whole programs from Evan, for Pete's sake! Show us the skaters we haven't seen and will never see. The four champions' free skates would've taken about 16 minutes, surely that 30 minute post-movie interview could've been shorter to accomodate that.

Also, the post-movie interviews were rather unneccesary esp. since Boitano was asked to repeat *exactly* what he had already said in the movie itself (dumb question from Lauer, sheesh).

Oh, yes, it was dark. So were the special showings of Wizard of Oz and Back to the Future last year... I think the special showings just are dark which is a shame and I have a bit of a headache now from it.

I wanted the movie to be more about the '61 team than it was. I understand it was called "Rise" and was about skaters after, but still. Also, I wish it had shown more of specific things the Fund has done besides the skates Peggy mentioned and generalities.

Still, I'm thrilled it was made, thrilled it came to me local theatre, and thrilled I went. I'm drained emotionally from it all. So sad.

Oh, I'm in suburban Chicago and our theatre I thought had a decent turnout... maybe 2/3 full?

-Bridget
  13. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I am north of Dallas and the the theater was PACKED. Really happy to see that :)
  14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

He said that while the movie was being made, his tumor came back. I think that was the recurrence we already knew about.

It was so cute when he mentioned having the flu and said he enjoyed being sick "recreationally." :lol:
  15. John 3 17

Everyone in our theatre laughed out loud at that.

So, the interview and red carpet stuff was really live, live? I thought at first it was taped from the premiere a little while ago, but then Peggy and Evan mentioned the Today Show from this morning and I thought, "wow!"

-Bridget
  16. talulabell

talulabell New Member

That's the impression that I got from the interaction between Matt and Scott. Matt started by saying something about it being a tough couple of months (year?) for Scott, but he didnt want to go into specifics. I thought Scott himself said that he had just found out the tumor was back.

I'd hate to start something if I misunderstood, but that's the impression I got.
  17. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

In the pre-premiere thread, I wrote:

Sorry, I am still hopeful for the tale of the 1961 team. Told by 'the storytellers,' with a dash of EvanFest at the end. I could live with that scenario.

I was absolutely NOT disappointed. RISE is a fantastic film - a documentary told through vivid recollections of those who knew the 61 team, with occasional interjections by current stars. It was absolutely NOT the focus on 'today' that many thought. Even Marilyn Meeker made an appearance. History buffs won! :)

Unintended Laughs of the night: Peter Carruthers as MC of the red carpet moments. (Ya gotta love him, though.)

Another smile: Within the first 5 minutes, The Kween talked about 'The Connection'...but didn't preface it with 'cosmic' (but hubby & I still chuckled). We knew what she was thinkin'!

Great news: During the post-show, one of the filmmakers mentioned that a lot of great footage and 'stories' were left on the cutting room floor...but will be seen in the DVD version as extras. Yeah!

A fantastic night - fantastic documentary focusing on history. Bravi Tutti!
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  18. John 3 17

I can't help but think that skaters and other athletes watching who were taught by their parents (hello, Nastia!) were rather confused by the running down of parents-as-coaches that was brought up more than once in this film and interview portion. Peggy tried to interject how she couldn't have succeeded without her mother's hands-on approach, but it was ignored.

MK could've given specifics on how the Fund helped her, I know it did and she talks a lot about it in her biography and I would've enjoyed hearing about that again.

-Bridget
  19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

We thought it was Tracy Wilson too, until this random Tracy Wolfsom chick showed up.

As for Dorothy, every interview I've ever seen with her she acts that way . . . a bit sheepish, rounding her shoulders like she's embarrassed to be there. So i wasn't surprised.

This didn't surprise me at all. The skaters interviewed or the most part had a direct connection to the plane crash, or are Scott Hamilton. :lol: Kristi, Tara and Sarah didn't have coaches that were affected the same way and weren't in clubs that were as heavily hit.

No no no. To clarify: what he said was that during the FILMING of RISE he had just learned his tumor was back, which was the recurrance we all knew about from last year or so. So when the filmmakers were interviewing him for the film he was more emotional than usual. (which isn't to say he wouldn't have gotten emotional anyway, being Scott). But all he has now is the flu.
  20. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

You guys should have come over to the AMC on 42nd Street - we had plenty of room!

Everyone in the audience took a collective gasp when Vera came on the screen. I did see her at the Ice Theatre gala a few months ago and noticed how scary thin she'd gotten but it looked much worse with the backless dress on the big screen.

I also wished they had included more on the other skaters who died in the crash instead of being primarily a tribute to Maribel Vinson and family - The article on ESPN.com the other day had so much more info - even if they didn't have the time to follow everyone in-depth, they should have included a brief bio of the whole team.

I'm looking forward to getting the DVD with the bonus scenes and I hope they also decide to release the 1961 Nationals as a companion DVD.

I filled out the survey for the Rise pin and it asks for a donation to the Memorial Fund at the end - which I made - but no one ever asked for my ticket stub so I don't know how it's supposed to be redeemed. I guess it's wait and see.
  21. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I thought I saw her, too - at least, I was thinking it might be her. Good to know I got the right person. :)

After the exchange with Matt Lauer on the sofa I turned to my mom and suggested Dorothy was on something. My mom thought she might be taking anti-depressants, but I think it was something stronger. And she sounded odd at times during the movie, too. I thought it was interesting at the end when she said she thinks everyone should learn how to skate - AFAIK, her daughter never skated....but I guess she could have taken lessons for a brief time.

The filmmaker did mention it was hard to decide what to cut when editing the film, and the DVD would have the extras.

My theater, in the Baltimore area, was about half full. Broadcast went off w/o a hitch (although I didn't get the "test material' of the Gloria Estefan concert - do we really need Latin music and dancing just before a movie about plane crash victims?). Everyone stayed until the end.

There was a lot of gasping and murmuring when Vera appeared on camera. I saw her in person at Nats and she looks like a walking skeleton. Her legs are thinner than her arms, if that's possible. Scary. And she's got to be around 60 - she skated at the same time Peggy Fleming did - I think she's a couple years younger. She needs to worry about breaking her hip and/or spinal damage.
  22. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

My hubby and I went, our theater in Jax, Fl was pretty empty, maybe about 20 of us there? But we had a good feed, I very much enjoyed the movie. It was a celebration really, not depressing at all. I mean, I felt sorrow for the people that lost their lives and their families but overall the mood of the film was very uplifting.

Not only was Vera Wang scary thin (and I mean she looked like a skeleton) but she has not aged well! It was like a horror film moment. Hate to be so blunt but...it was frightening in HD.

Peter definitely needed to lay off the coffee...or alcohol...and Dorothy seemed a little too happy as well. She laid over onto Scott more than once when they were sitting on the couch. Scott was awesome, both in the movie and live.

And SwingDancer...Scott is not sick again. He was referring to the fact that he had found out his brain tumor had returned back when they were making the movie. He has since had treatment again and he's alright.

Loved all the older skaters and coaches...Frank and Ron were wonderful. Tenley Albright looks great and Dick B wasn't so bad either.

Evan is not only a skategod, he's a rockstar as well. He is very well-spoken. Loved seeing the two segments that were taped in Greensboro...I had the pleasure of being there for the taping and I'm glad I was. The segments were nice to see on film but live they were even better.

All in all, a great show.
  23. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Scott finished his tumor treatment last fall; he was referring to the filmmaking time when he'd found out it was back. He was sick with the flu this week.
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

IMO, the movie itself was much better than expected. All the "skating fell HARD that day" previews made me cringe, but the documentary is well-thought out. We could have cut back on the post-movie interviews and showed more of the skaters from the 1961 team, but Ron Ludington and Frank Carrol were such highlights, I'll let this one slide.

As for Dorothy, she did seem to be a little drunk but it brought out her snarky side. Matt Lauer got all excited about living in Greenwich, CT next door to what would become today's Dorothy Hamill skating rink and she went "what a sorry excuse for a skating rink" [after a few seconds] "but still it's nice there is a a rink."
  25. Prancer

I thought that, too, except for Brian Boitano. I can't think of any connection he has except that he is Brian Boitano.
  26. John 3 17

Dorothy, iirc, made fun of that rink once on the Today Show, so I don't think she did that b/c she was "drunk" :lol: Matt mentioned going to the same school on the same show, maybe around 2000?

-Bridget
  27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Oh, well that makes sense. But how was Dorothy Hamill affected, other than her coach (who was never even mentioned) coming to the US after the crash? Or Brian Boitano?
  28. Prancer

She was coached by Carlo Fassi.
  29. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Thanks to all for the clarification. I was worried there.
  30. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

They briefly talked about how Fassi came to the US as a coach. Not enough about that, imo.

I didn't get Boitano's connection other than benefitting from the Memorial Fund. I did appreciate his revelations about his parents. He just made every parent who does drop off/pick up very happy. He's right: all kids are different. One of mine wants me to watch her practices, the other would prefer I go to Walmart, lol.
  31. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Must be the rink that brings out the snarkyness in Dorothy, in that case :). She seemed a lot more willing to speak freely -and, whenever she wasn't waving her arms around or leaning into Scott, I thought she was very likable in free-spirit mode. Her interaction with Michelle when asked to talk about their parents' involvement in skating was priceless. "I might be a while" talking about her mother and how it took her 50 years to figure out their relationship.
  32. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

We didn't get any type of survey.
  33. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

There were seven people in my theater. At first, I thought my sister and I might be the only ones. The couple behind me probably thought I was crazy because I would get excited and point at the screen whenever I spotted someone familiar during the live show - "There's Garden Kitty! Belladella! Melissa Bulanhagi! One of the Boys Who Score!" :lol:
  34. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Beautifully done film!!! I very very much enjoyed the whole thing and gobbled the whole experience up. I went with three friends who are casual figure skating watchers. They know who the big Olympic stars are but don't have a clue who the National champions are, etc.

They all three were absolutely moved by the film and were so glad they came to see it. All three had no idea about the 1961 crash. All of them remarked on what a wonderful person Scott Hamilton is and how well he comes across as a person.

I may go and watch it again on the 7th.

I can't wait to buy the DVD!

I'm going to remember Scott Hamilton's words when I'm feeling sorry for myself...."Just Get Up."
  35. SwingDancer

SwingDancer New Member

Me too.
  36. ElinorD

ElinorD New Member

I'll add my .02. - I also loved it! Loved the clips and the stories. Ron Ludington is a riot. Although I wish there had been more on the legacy of the fund, not just the champions, I found myself crying when they talked about Frank after Evan's win. It was a nice moment.
    I was concerned that it would be really sad, and I wouldn't be able to take it. I found it to be uplifting, as most of you did. I was grateful for that.
    I can't wait for the DVD!
  37. Prancer

I remember reading an interview with him where he said that he was basically a man at 12; he was completely responsible for managing his time and at that point started managing his own travel arrangements and coaching. His parents just stepped back and let him at it.

I got a card saying that I should go to www.rise1961.com to complete a survey and would then be told how to exchange my ticket stub for a commemorative pin. I don't see the survey on the site, though.
  38. sk8junkie

sk8junkie New Member

I thought it was a good movie, but I didn't think it was a great movie.

I loved the anecdotes that made the skaters and coaches more "human", but was disappointed that so many of them weren't even mentioned, and there wasn't any mention of the rebuilding of U.S. coaching within the film itself (although I appreciated that Peggy Fleming mentioned it in the post-show).

I also would have liked to see more of the 1961 U.S. Championship footage; I really enjoyed the footage of Doug Ramsay and the recollections of his sister of him practicing his jumps around the house.

The interviews with Ron Ludington and Frank Carroll were definitely highlights for me - I hope to seen extended versions of those on the DVD.

I also would have liked to have heard more specific examples of how the Memorial Fund has helped skaters in the past 50yrs.

I thought the pre- and post-show interviews were little more than fluff, and that someone needs to feed Vera Wang more than a few meals because she just looked terribly unnatural. Peggy Fleming's and Dorothy Hamel's dresses in the post-interview were unflattering, and while I didn't like Michelle Kwan's dress, I did think that she wore it really well.

And I also thought the lighting for the skating in Greensboro was horribly inadequate (I went to the championships, but didn't stick around for those programs on Sunday night, as I had to be at work pretty early the following morning, but now I'm wishing even more that I had made the decision to suck it up, watch the programs and fall asleep at work the next day).

I saw it at the Regal in Greensboro, where I met a woman who told me that used to compete against Dorothy Hamel. (She had only wonderful things to say about her, which didn't surprise me.) I'd say that the theater I was in was about 85% full, and they were showing it on 3 screens. There were some mini-cheers during the last skating performance when specific kids appeared onscreen - my guess is that the cheers came from family members of the kids.
  39. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

Here is a photo of Vera Wang from tonight.

And here is one from Wed.

I saw her in Greensboro and her thighs were as thick as most folks' arms. :(
  40. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

The filmmakers said so themselves-at the end of the movie. :cool:

I loved it, and my twin nephews Mathew and Jake who are not particularly skating fans enjoyed it. Both said 'it was good' and 'sad' (naturally) but we all agreed the talk show format at the end went on much too long. To me it seemed almost disconnected in context to the film. And I wanted much much more on the late skaters themselves-perhaps there will be more in the dvd extras. At least I got to see the Dineens in action if briefly.

Can't wait to see it again on the big screen in March-and this time on my REAL day off :lol: I won't have to make a special request for the night off from my boss. And I can't wait to get my commemorative necklace-they said in the film we just have to go to the RISE site and type in our movie ticket numbers. :)

Awww! That reeks! I'm so sorry ((V I))!! Hope you can make it to the March 7 encore!

ETA: When my nephews and I got to the theatre at about 7:17pm we took some pictures in front of the RISE poster, that was fun, then we walked into the theatre-Gloria Estefan was up on the screen (which confused me for a sec). My nephews asked 'who's that?', Mathew added 'well anyways, she sings really good' and I explained about Gloria and The Miami Sound Machine. I was disappointed she didn't do "Conga" or if she did we arrived too late for it. :) On a down note, I was disappointed our theatre was near empty. Maybe 20 some odd people at most. :( Then again, the film was very poorly advertised. On several sites, such as twitter,and FB people were asking 'what's that?' in response to excited fans who had just seen it. They had not even heard about RISE. Too late for some kind of an Oscar boost this year too. Not that documentaries always do well, but an Oscar nod might have put a few more booties in the seats.

We were fortunate-it sounds like several theatres had tech issues. Ours didn't, we got to see the Red Carpet event, and the aftershow.
    Vera Wang looked frighteningly thin and the second she popped up on the screen Mathew exclaimed 'She's anorexic! You can see the bones in her back!' and Jake said almost at the same time 'DAMN! She needs to eat!'. :/

I enjoyed the skater's performances including Evan's but imo it took MUCH too long to get to them with the 'conversations' between Matt Lauer and Co. Mathew started dozing off, but Jake hung on. He is the one who said 'I don't mind a LITTLE talk, but not a LOT-they talked too much'.

I love the theme music from the film. The song, which I didn't like at all when I first heard it somehow seemed alright when it played in one scene in the film, and I actually didn't mind it as much as I thought I would with the skater's performing to it.

If you didn't go to see it-please try to see it in March. :)
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011