"Rise" review - Did it rise to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

Or did it get a rise out of you?

Do you think the memorial fund donation will be on the "rise"?

Me, I decided to skip it. If it's shown again in my town in March I'll probably do it. BUt I'd like to hear what people think of the show.

2. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Why did you decide to skip it in the end?

3. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Did someone official say the film would be shown again in March? Really?

4. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm so shocked, my area will be showing the encore!

6. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Well my theater had a complete failure. No movie. They couldn't get the satellite to work. We had audio for a while but no pic, but they couldn't fix it. A free pass to come again doesn't really seem like an appropriate make up for their mess up. Should've known when there was no pre-show there'd be no show show. Got there at 7:30...nothing til 8:20. And total abandonment at 8:30. Too late to even jump to another theater though the next nearest theater was sold out.

*sad*

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

Because I would have needed a ride home from someone. I don't have a car with me today

ETA: I'm sorry to hear the mess, Village Id.

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I wish I could report that it was wonderful, BUT, the theater I went to (3rd Ave and 11th St, NYC) had "technical issues". We never got a picture at all and we didn't get any sound until 8:20 and then only for 2 minutes. Needless to say we all got refunds and a free movie pass.

The Village Idiot - were you at the same theater as me? I suspect you were.

9. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I loved it. It was really well done, IMO.

My only complaint: it was REALLY dark for the live portion as well as the skating numbers filmed in Greensboro. You could barely see anyone.

10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I loved it so much.

I clapped loudly for Ryan Bradley, and these girls gave me a weird look, but I was like yeah whatevs, it's Ryan, how could you NOT clap.

Very touching story. Planning on going again on March 7th.

11. SilverSamba

SilverSamba Wizzer's Human

The movie was well done. I enjoyed it. The live stuff could have been a little better but it was ok. I could not believe how horribly skinny Vera Wang was..

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it. I was afraid it was going to be "RA-RA-U-S-A is the best!", but it wasn't, not at all. It was lovely and touching. I loved how they portrayed the skaters and coaches as human - not perfect, but wonderful all the same.

I have to say Ron Ludington was one of the best parts.

13. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

It was very well done. I could have done without Peter Carruthers bookending the movie, but the documentary itself was very polished and professional.

I must say, though, that while everyone kept saying that this is a story no one knows and that people in skating don't talk about it, I had heard just about all of it before and think that most longtime skating fans have, too.

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

The old clips were priceless - every lady had such a beautiful layback spin. Gary Clark got the most laughs! The pair team advertising cigarettes was just surreal....

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Loved it -- absolutely LOVED it. They did a wonderful job.

But I feel bad for all the people who had technical issues! :(

(Have to agree with Prancer about Carruthers -- what was UP with him? I thought he was about to spontaneously combust or something.)

16. coskater

coskater New Member

I thought it was very well done and quiet touching. I saw it in Boulder, CO and the feed worked well no problems and the skating scenes from Greensboro were fine.:D

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Worked fine in our theater. It was a good movie, perhaps a little too focused on Laurence & Maribel Owen. The after-movie interviews were interesting.

High Points/Pleasant Surprises: Scott Hamilton, Ron Luddington -- both very eloquent, and I didn't expect it of either of them. Matt Lauer --very good as a host. I still wish they'd have brought Terry Gannon in, but I guess that doesn't work with NBC broadcasting. Vera Wang -- spoke about knowing the NY Skaters. (That woman is Pang thin. Scary. Very, scary.) Lots of film of Dudley Richards. Lots of skating clips I'd never seen. A lot of others, like Frank Carroll did great jobs, but that was no surprise.

Lowlights: Peter Carruthers shouldn't quit his day job. Ever. Some woman named Tracy played the part of the color commentator, and I don't know where she was from but she ought to head back to Entertainment Tonight and look for work there. Michelle, Dorothy & Peggy could all use a stylist to help them find attractive outfits to wear when seated in an interview area on low furniture.

I think that there ought to have been more direct stories of the Memorial Fund helping skaters -- Peggy talked about the fund buying her a pair of skates, Scott spoke generally about how it allowed him to keep skating.

Strange: they didn't make a direct pitch. I don't understand that at all.

I am glad I went; it was a good show, and I think it was important from a US skating fan's perspective. I probably will try to get hold of the DVD when it comes out -- there were quite a few bits that didn't fit in.

Like Coskater, I saw it in Boulder. Upper deck of the theater was pretty full; lower deck was almost empty.

18. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Excellent job...just wish it could have been a little longer, giving even a little bit of tribute to all of the skaters on the team (some not discussed were Bradley Lord, Gregory Kelley, Rhode Michelson, the Hadleys, and I think others in pairs and/or dance.) Hope that's on the DVD. I was also psyched to hear that all 13 US Olympic Gold medalists were there in person at the NY premiere, but they didn't do a group spotlight on them like they had at Nationals a few years ago (Evan has since joined the club.)

In the film proper, I especially enjoyed the reminiscences of Frank Carroll. He was much more relaxed and charming as a raconteur than he seems in the kiss 'n' cry. Seeing recaps of his reaction to Evan's OGM win tied all the legacies together in a very meaningful context.

19. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I think he had too much Smuckers in his coffee.

20. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

You're a woman obsessed with those words. Every other post from you on FSU is about Kwan and her cosmic connection. :rofl:

Overall, the documentary was really well done. It struck a really good balance between telling stories of the skaters on the plane and emphasizing the growth after the tragedy. No one skater of the last few generations was featured prominently.

The anecdotes were hilarious, sad, and really moving. Maribel Vincent Owen came across as a woman well beyond her time -- fighting for equality, carving out a large role in skating, and really pushing limits. I loved the stories of her personality. I can see why Frank is much the same way.

The photographs and footage of her were really remarkable. The filmmakers did a great job the archives together.

I'm sure I'll have more to say, but I really enjoyed the documentary. It was pretty cool to see old skating moves, too.

We arrived much after the red carpet, and stayed for everything after the film. Matt Lauer did good job hosting, and kept the pace moving. At one point he called it a group therapy session, and that seemed very appropriate.

My only critique would have to be with Peter Karrathurs. He was really an embarrassment as he kept making weird sarcastic jokes and strange facial expressions. The theatre couldn't help but laugh at, and I felt bad for him.

One bit of gossip: Is there something wrong with Vera Wang? She looked alarmingly skinny to the point where the audience gasped.

21. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Posted again:

Just what I expected. We had no pre show, it started at 8, the actual movie lasted I guess the 75 minutes, and the whole thing ended at 10, including a little live after show from the NYC gathering with the two twin sister filmmakers.

It was lovely. Stoic and sad. 80% of the evening was about the skaters and coaches who were lost. Lovely old pictures, movies and flashbacks including shorts from coaches who didn't go, like Luddy, who was hysterically funny, talking through his grief about how Maribel was mad at him for charging $4.50 for a half hour lesson when she charged $5.00 for Olympians, and from some who came just after, like Frank Carroll. 15% included a few spots with Carol Heiss and Hayes and David Jenkins, and with Dick Button, mention of Tenley and short live shot of Kristi and then specific on stage interviews by Matt Lauer with Peggy, Scott, Brian, Dorothy and Michelle. Another 5% consisted of wonderful interaction between an impressive Frank and a well spoken Evan and a wrap up exhibition from this year's nationals. Nada, absolutely nothing with Tara or Sara, seriously they even interviewed Vera Wang and not them. First time all 13 US Olympian Gold Medalists have ever been together, and they didn't get them up for a photo op?

I thought there was supposed to be some sort of fund raising going on. We saw and heard nothing. There was mention of an auction at RISE2011.com and there did seem to be a few send away for trinkets. There will be a DVD in the fall, including not already shown material. And there will be a second showing on March 7th, I think it's a Monday. Our theater was not even half full, so I wonder about that. But it was a nice evening.

22. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I loved all of it (sans Vera who scared us).
    No snarks from me. I am very happy and honored it came to my little city.

23. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

My husband went with me and said, "I begin to see why you are always saying, 'Shut UP, Peter!' when you watch skating."

My husband asked me if Peggy was pregnant (and he was serious, LOL). I almost choked. When I said no, he asked me what was wrong with her. That was a tremendously unflattering dress she had on.

I expected them to ask for donations, too, especially when Scott started talking about passing the bucket at performances, but all I got was a card telling me how to get my commemorative pin.

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Hasn't Vera Wang always been super-skinny?

I thought Michelle's dress was gorgeous on her. Not everyone could make a dress like that work, but she really did.

25. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I'll post a short review before starting this thread.

i really liked it... I was worried at first, because I was afraid it was going to be too much about the 5 story tellers, but then I thought they melded into the featured stories about the 1961 team really well. It was very touching, and the archival stuff was great.

I have two complaints: 1: a little too much Scott Hamilton, and 2: (as has been said in the other thread), they went on and on about having all 13 gold medalists in the building, and they didnt bring them up on stage?

Our theater also gasped at the site of Vera Wang... she looked sickly. I hope she's ok.

I was underwhelmed by the Evan performance at the end, but that's not really why I went, so no biggie.

26. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I thought RISE was pretty cool. :) Our theater had a minor technical difficulty at the very beginning, about a minute before the movie started. We lost sound and video for about two minutes, but we didn't miss much. Besides that, everything ran very smoothly...I can't even begin to describe how bummed I am for those of you who never got picture and sound restored. :(

The only critique I have is that I thought they should have advertised the post-show a bit more. Quite a few people in our theater got up and left during the credits, and missed the whole bit afterward (which was quite substantial when you think about it). Maybe it was the last thing mentioned before the film started, but as I said, our theater didn't see the last minute of pre-show so we wouldn't have heard it. The only reason why I didn't leave was because I knew that Evan had taped something for RISE and since I hadn't seen it yet, I could only assume it came later.

27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Our theater was also only about one-third full, but we were in Chicago proper. I know that many of the suburban theaters around Chicago had huge groups of skating clubs attending (and indeed most of the skaters themselves and coaches live in the burbs) so I hope suburban theaters were way more crowded.

Poor Matt Lauer had a long day.

I was very pleased with the result! Not at all an infomercial which the previously provided clip really made it seem like it might be. There could have been many more stories told, but I was surprised to see some images/photos I'd never seen before, which was cool, and some new stories I hadn't heard about Maribel and the Westerfields. The filmmakers did a good job, though I agree that us hard-core fans didn't learn too much that we didn't know before, and they did ignore some skaters all together, like Bradley Lord.

I though Vera Wang looked awful too. Granted, the camera angle they gave her didn't take advantage of the nice lighting that Evan and Frank had, but she looks scarily thin. Still, considering she was showing at Fashion Week her new collection just yesterday or the day before, and she made it to RISE, I was impressed. Conversely, I noticed that Johnny Weir was tweeting that he was going to bed tonight, so clearly he couldn't be bothered to attend both Fashion Week and RISE, which was disappointing. He's clearly not interested in skating, no matter what he says.

Peter Carruthers was embarrassing I have to say. He was never good at the one-on-one interviews. Who the hell was Tracy Wolfsom?

Spotted one of our local Chicago dance coaches in the audience.

Peggy had so much blinding bling on. :eek: and I agree that Peggy/Dorothy/Michelle really needed better dresses.

28. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your assessment of the movie. And everyone in my theater fell in love with Ron Ludington. We all want Ron Ludington dolls.

I'm outside Philly and we had a packed theater. I'm happy for that.

29. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

The film was absolutely wonderful. And my theater was just about completely full. The only downfall was Carruthers, as usual. :lol:

30. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I went to the theater showing in Joliet, and our theater was about half full. There were quite a few people with connections to Evan's old club...my sis and I sat next to one lady who said that she used to judge Evan in competitions when he was younger, and that she knew his family. There were definitely more people there than I expected; not a ton, but I think a lot of theaters in the area were showing the film, so the crowd was probably more spread out. I was surprised that my local theater was showing it at all; I thought I'd have to hoof it over to Warrenville or something.

ETA: I just looked at showtimes and pretty much every theater out here was showing the film. So yeah, I'd say it's probably safe to say that there was good attendance overall in the Chicagoland area. :)