RIP, Ravi Shankar

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UMBS Go Blue, Dec 12, 2012.

1. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Ravi Shankar, global ambassador for the sitar and Indian classical music, and an eminent figure in Western music too, passed away Tuesday in California. I was blessed to have seen him perform live at least 4 times in the last 10 years and was truly touched each time by his larger-than-life music and presence. RIP.

From the New York Times:

From the Wall Street Journal:

2. UMBS Go Blue

Ravi performed at Woodstock, and this video purports to be of him at the festival.

Also an article from the BBC with a link to a slideshow that's quite a trip back in time.
  3. Nan

Nan Just me

When the Woodstock album came out, Ravi introduced me to a whole new way of listening to music. I thank him for that.

RIP Ravi. :(
  4. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

:( :( He was my dad's absolute hero and I certainly grew up enjoying his music too.

One of my dad's cherished memories is that Ravi came to his (my dad's) apartment with a mutual friend to look at a couple of instruments my dad owned (he had some nice sitars and a tamboura) and he got to make him an egg salad sandwich. :lol:

Maybe they've met up again somewhere up there and are making music together (or eating lunch :) ).
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

A true legend and a fantastic embassador for Indan music and culture. R.I.P.
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most famous musician/artist from India. He was truly great. I tried to go to his concert in the rare events he performed here (Arizona), but just never made it. I will always regret not having attended his live performance. I only have his music on CDs. Ravi Shankar used his incredible talent to bring east and west together and I think he succeeded.

This CNN article (link below) is rather disrespectful. They mention him as Norah Jones' father, but nothing about the rest of his family (his wife, his other children- and Norah's mother was not his wife). The whole Shankar family was very talented and famous. His brother Uday Shankar was a great dancer. His daughter's name is Anoushka and she plays Sitar too.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/12/showbiz/california-ravi-shankar-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought about this when I first visited India. If it wasn't for Ravi Shankar, and for the Beatles going to Rishikesh to see the Maharishi, a lot of non-Indians in North America (like myself) wouldn't have had the faintest idea of what any Indian music was about.
  8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Talk about an unofficial goodwill ambassador for his country: Ravi made me want to learn more about India. RIP.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I was also introduced to this style of music initially through his work with the Beatles and have greatly enjoyed listening to it over the years. RIP and thank you Ravi.

Apparently they have edited the article because it mentions the wife and daughter by name, and also mentions that his daughter is a sitar virtuoso.
  10. UMBS Go Blue

"Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones just came up on my Pandora here at work and I instantly remembered that it has a sitar in it.

A quick Wiki search turns up the following:

• George Harrison of the Beatles was first introduced by David Crosby of the Byrds in August 1965 to the sitar and became familiar with Ravi Shankar
    • He used it in the song "Norwegian Wood," which was recorded in October 1965 and released December 1965
    • Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones used it in "Paint it Black," which was recorded in March 1966 and released May 1966, and became the first #1 US/UK rock hit with a sitar in it

Edited to add:

George Harrison taking a sitar lesson from Ravi Shankar

Interview with Ravi Shankar on teaching George Harrison
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Norah Jones was to sing in my city today and has, understandably, cancelled the concert.

My mom liked him, more because of his association with the Beatles, and she says I'm just playing her.
    She's in for a surprise with tomorrow's paper.

RIP
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

When the Beatles, and other musicians mentioned upthread, renewed interest in Ravi Shankar; my father said that he had heard him perform many times in NYC, years before - sometimes with his brother,
    As he did with so much, my father gave me an appreciation of his genius.

RIP
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.