RIP Harry Morgan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

MASH's Colonel Potter passed today at the age of 96. RIP, Harry.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Aw, I was wondering about him just a month or so ago (I was on a MASH rerun kick). RIP indeed to Col Sherman T Potter - and also to Dragnet's Bill Gannon.
  3. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

:( RIP. I love that show.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

:( RIP

I just looked up to see how old he was a couple of weeks ago while watching a MASH reunion show on TV Land.

He had a long, varied and successful acting career and was very talented.
  5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Wing and a Prayer (1944), Dragonwyck (1946), The Big Clock (1948), High Noon (1952), Bend of the River (1952), Thunder Bay (1953), The Glenn Miller Story (1954), The Far Country (1955), Strategic Air Command (1955), Inherit the Wind (1960), How the West Was Won (1962), John Goldfarb, Please Come Home (1965), Frankie and Johnny (1966), Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969), Support Your Local Gunfighter! (1971), Snowball Express (1972), The Shootist (1976), The Wild Wild West Revisited (1979)
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He was in Madame Bovary with Jennifer Jones and Van Heflin too, as the village simpleton Emma wanted Charles to perform surgery on. He was a talented actor.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Wow, 96 years old! RIP Col. Potter
  8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

96, wow that's a long life. RIP Harry.
  9. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

He was a hoot in Support Your Local Gunfighter.
  10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I remember being suprised when he was arrested for domestic battery at the age of 82. In my mind, he was always Col. Potter, and Col Potter would never beat his wife. :(

Oh well. RIP.
  11. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Col Potter was probably his best known character, but I 1st saw and heard him as Pete Porter on the 1950s December Bride.

He had a good, long run....;)

RIP.

NJL (...and, thanks....:)...)
  12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Knowing he was way up there in years, I've always checked every couple of months or so to see if he was still among us - the last time I did this was a few weeks ago, when TV Land was running a M*A*S*H marathon.

RIP, Harry Morgan/Colonel Potter.
  13. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Awww. RIP to one of my favorite actors from one of my favorite shows.
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

ETA: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/a...morgan-mash-and-dragnet-actor-dies-at-96.html

I remember that from childhood.
    He was a fixture in so many shows/movies.

Great in all of them; but, iconic as Col. Potter.
    RIP
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  15. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

What an amazing career he had, and always interesting to watch. RIP Mr. Morgan.
  16. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

17. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I was never a MASH fan but I loved him in Dragnet. I use to watch everyday until RTV decided to take it off its lineup. He lived a long time. RIP Mr. Morgan.
  18. Nan

Nan Just me

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Well, horse hockey. :(
  20. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Aww. Loved him in MASH. I always preferred the series once he joined the show, maybe it was his voice and presence.

96 years... he had a good run.
  21. Civic

Civic New Member

I had no idea he was that old. He was one of the rare replacement characters whom I enjoyed more than I enjoyed the original. I preferred his Colonel Potter to Henry on MASH. RIP.
  22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

R.I.P. Harry. Loved him in M*A*S*H and Inherit the Wind.
  23. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Colonel Potter was my fave on M*A*S*H.

R.I.P. Harry. :(
  24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

One of the gimmicks in December Bride was that Pete talked about his wife Gladys in every episode, but she was never seen. Ever. I remember one episode that was promoted heavily because Gladys would finally appear. Sure enough, she did, but she was wearing a gorilla costume. A while after that show went off the air, there was a sitcom called Pete and Gladys, with Morgan and Cara Williams. Boy, I'm old.
  25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

RIP, Mr. Morgan.
  26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

*EXACTLY* what I was going to say.

RIP, Colonel Potter.
  27. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

My favorite Colonel Potter quote:

"You just had to put 'Be Stupid,' FIRST on your list of things to do today!"

I think the very best episode of M*A*S*H is "Old Soldiers." This is the one where Colonel Potter learned he was the last survivor of his WWI buddies, and shared the old bottle of brandy that they'd stored for a toast to the group, with Potter's 4077th colleagues. Hawkeye and company were honored to drink the fine brandy with their friend.
  28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I adored that episode.
    It was wonderful that Winchester was the one to explain the meaning of "tontine" to the others; making him less ridiculous than he often appeared.
  29. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Colonel Potter: Give that man a cheroot.:hat1:
  30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Wasn't that quote from the one where Margaret was in Tokyo at a Conference and the Col ordered BJ and Hawkeye to "buddy up" to Frank because he was driving everyone insane due to her being gone? Then after getting him drunk, they put a toe tag on him w/some true, but outlandish saying on it as a Practical Joke, and Frank ended up on a truck going up to Battalion Aid after he collapsed outside of the Latrine after using it?

That one cracks me up everytime I see it and was not that too long ago up here on our History Channel. :D

Another favourite of mine and IIRC, is also on the Top Five of all time list in a poll they did by the Fans a few years ago.

One of my very favourite Col. Potter scenes is the end of the Christmas eppy where Hawkeye, BJ and Margaret try to keep an obviously fatally wounded soldier alive long enough to reach midnight, and therefore passing away on Dec 26th instead of Dec 25th/Christmas Day, while the 4077th's Christmas Party for the Orphanage is going on at the same time. They're leaving Pre Op and meet Potter and one of the little ones w/the last pieces of BJ's Peg's Mill Valley Fudge. It's the expression and tone of his voice, but especially the look in his eyes that gets me every single time I see that particular episode/scene.

Now that's the true sign of a Master Actor to be able to do that. It's truly ironic that a man who has as his Signature/Most Well Known Role the Colonel/Commanding Officer of a MASH Unit, passes away on the 70th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbour.

Thanks for the Memories Sir. May he Rest In Peace. :(