RIP Cecil

Cachoo

Sounds like this A-hole may get away with the murder of this beautiful lion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/cecil-lion-what-could-happen-walter-james-palmer-hunters-n400461

That stinks to think that shaming might be the only thing to result from this. It has touched a nerve as this story is everywhere. Hopefully Cecil will not have died in vain if Zimbabwe can put even more stringent rules in place. Also there seems to be such revulsion with the idea of trophy hunting and I never realized how much it is hated until reading about Cecil. That offers just a sliver of hope for future endeavors regarding the curtailing trophy hunting, baiting and poaching.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
ISIS believes they are fighting evil. They are wrong, but pretty much everyone wants to see evil defeated, so it's at least understandable. I can't understand why someone would want to shoot an animal that is basically defenseless just so they can say "I killed it!"
As a sport, I suppose. The British Royals do that, fox hunting, deer hunting, the Russians were into ducks and pheasants, etc. etc. It's a diversion for some and an achievement, I am guessing. So you could find reasoning for everything if you really want to. A lot of horrific doctrines have "reasoning."

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just don't get people like this. However sounds like karma is going to come back and bite him on the arse big time.

If he really wants to kill animals, we have 2 million feral cats in Australia. Along with however many feral rabbits and foxes who are just vermin in this country. I don't mean to sound flippant but if he wants to kill animals we have plenty here that by doing it will only good for environment.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
As a sport, I suppose. The British Royals do that, fox hunting, deer hunting, the Russians were into ducks and pheasants, etc. etc. It's a diversion for some and an achievement, I am guessing. So you could find reasoning for everything if you really want to. A lot of horrific doctrines have "reasoning."
There was a 10 year ban on fox hunting in the UK, but I think that it has been lifted or "loosened" this year. :( As for hunting pheasants and ducks (and deer, too), they are usually hunted as "game" and are consumed, which as an omnivore, I personally don't find as objectionable. Trophy hunting is another matter altogether, and is especially disgusting when it involves endangered species.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
That guy is probably going to mount the head over his fireplace. :scream: If you read Victorian literature, you can't avoid lengthy and detailed description of fox hunting. Always made me ill.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
That guy is probably going to mount the head over his fireplace. :scream: If you read Victorian literature, you can't avoid lengthy and detailed description of fox hunting. Always made me ill.
In one of the articles it was reported that the head had been confiscated and impounded as evidence, so at least Cecil will be spared the indignity of being displayed as a trophy by his killer.

Japanfan

There was a 10 year ban on fox hunting in the UK, but I think that it has been lifted or "loosened" this year. :( As for hunting pheasants and ducks (and deer, too), they are usually hunted as "game" and are consumed, which as an omnivore, I personally don't find as objectionable. Trophy hunting is another matter altogether, and is especially disgusting when it involves endangered species.

And the kills are usually quick and clean, with guns. Enjoying an animal's suffering isn't part of the process.

Hunters who hunt game for food commonly gain a lot of respect for the animals they kill and again, aim for a quick, clean kill. And tracking deer in the wild requires a lot of skill and patience.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
He is proud of his archery skills. He hunts with a bow and arrow and brags that he can hit a postcard that is 100 yards away. He wants to show off his skills by killing innocent animals.

I just checked Yelp, with the intent to post a comment, but since I am not his customer, it doesn't seem fair to give him 1 star (that's the highest I would have given him) and post a nasty comment. I read just 3 posts. One compared him to Hitler, one called him a heartless coward (very true) and wished that he would meet the same fate as Cecil did. The comments sounded funny, but I am sure not so funny to Palmer. He has closed his Youtube and facebook accounts, but he can't close the Yelp because Yelp is for anyone that wants to express an opinion on a business. I feel no sympathy for Palmer, no matter how harsh the comments. They can't come close to what he did to poor Cecil.

ETA: I found a petition to the White House to arrest and extradite Walter Palmer to Zimbabwe. They need 100,000 signatures. Right now it's at 93,650, including my signature. Sorry, I can't provide the link because I found it on my i-pad. Can't use my work computer for this. I think it was created by 'We the people'. I accidentally found it when I was reading comments on Yelp.

Last edited:

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
I'm not a violent person, but as I've been reading all the info that's coming out, I want to buy a compound bow and lure this dentist into a wild area so I can hunt him down. Then I want to tick him with an arrow and let him wander around in pain for 40 hours and see how he likes it. Then I want shove his ass into into a jail with the worst conditions ever and let him rot there for the rest of his natural life. He and others like him sicken me. /rant over

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm so heartbroken for that beautiful lion and his precious cubs. Cecil was such a gorgeous creature. RIP. :fragile:

I have no idea what they'll do to that crappy excuse for a human being who thinks harming and watching animals suffer is fun (seriously dude....just NO) but I hope they punish him to the absolute extreme for this crime. Horrible horrible man. :mad:

Japanfan

I say animal rights activists should take on these large game trophy hunters.

Other than exposing them and giving them as much grief as possible, what can they do? (Unless they want to go subversive and just rid the human race of this vermin).

In the book 'The Bond, Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them, Wayne Pacelle (CEO of the Humane Society of America at the time) reports on an interview he did with Michael Vick. Repulsed as he was by Vick, he wanted to understand the reasoning behind his abuse of pit bulls. Vick basically said that he found the violence of fighting pit bulls intoxicating. To him there was something very beautiful and primal in the aggression and violence. The actual suffering of the animals didn't even cross his mind.

I think what Vick did was horrible and indefensible, but am finding it hard to come up with an equally twisted rationale for Palmer and others of his kind. Is it a sociopathic pleasure taking in watching powerful creatures suffer and die? Is it a twisted and evil expression of the entitlement that comes with power and wealth?

'The Bond' is a heartbreaking but powerful book, I recommend it. Though I could only handle a few pages at a time.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
This scumbag knew very well that it was illegal to kill Cecil. He had done it before when he was caught lying to the authorities about the black bear - a felony. And that's only because he was caught. I am 1000% certain he has illegally stalked and killed innocent animals tons of times. Rich entitled jerk. I hope he is extradited to Zimbabwe and I hope the officials there throw the book at him.

Cachoo

He is proud of his archery skills. He hunts with a bow and arrow and brags that he can hit a postcard that is 100 yards away. He wants to show off his skills by killing innocent animals.

I just checked Yelp, with the intent to post a comment, but since I am not his customer, it doesn't seem fair to give him 1 star (that's the highest I would have given him) and post a nasty comment. I read just 3 posts. One compared him to Hitler, one called him a heartless coward (very true) and wished that he would meet the same fate as Cecil did. The comments sounded funny, but I am sure not so funny to Palmer. He has closed his Youtube and facebook accounts, but he can't close the Yelp because Yelp is for anyone that wants to express an opinion on a business. I feel no sympathy for Palmer, no matter how harsh the comments. They can't come close to what he did to poor Cecil.

ETA: I found a petition to the White House to arrest and extradite Walter Palmer to Zimbabwe. They need 100,000 signatures. Right now it's at 93,650, including my signature. Sorry, I can't provide the link because I found it on my i-pad. Can't use my work computer for this. I think it was created by 'We the people'. I accidentally found it when I was reading comments on Yelp.

This has certainly touched a nerve world-wide and I like reading/hearing about these petitions and also the donations to the group that was monitoring Cecil. I honestly thought the person that I found most distasteful on this subject was Rebecca Francis and her "hunts." But Palmer takes the cake. What is so hard about making a donation to save the animals and NOT killing anything in the process?

Meoima

Do you have the link please share. I have signed another petition but it's not the one to the White house.

Sylvia

TBD
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/news/a16665/tracking-cecil-lion/
"Good can come from this if the world's attention can lead to support for our work to improve lion conservation –helping us buy satellite collars, maintain our field vehicles and train excellent young Zimbabwean conservationists,"said David Macdonald, director of the WildCRU and a professor at Oxford."The modern world is a hostile place for large carnivores like lions. It will take all our ingenuity and determination to secure their conservation alongside the development of local communities."
http://www.wildcru.org

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Sounds like this A-hole may get away with the murder of this beautiful lion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/cecil-lion-what-could-happen-walter-james-palmer-hunters-n400461

Hopefully the fact that this scumbag previously lied to Wildlife officials when he lured and illegally killed a bear outside of it's protected environment will stand as strong evidence against him as to his character - and the fact that he has done this before. He is a proven liar and I have no doubt he is lying now about not knowing that he killed such a famous lion as Cecil. Don't know if the sexual harassment suit can be held against him too (again as far as his character) but at least it's public knowledge now, out on the internet. I have high hopes that he will face a court for his infamous actions one way or the other. I also have high hopes that he will rot in a Zimbabwe prison for a few years. And I have even higher hopes that he will be stripped of his hunting licenses and that he will never be allowed to hunt again - at least in the States.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here is a link to the petition - Justice for Cecil (sorry if this is reposted):

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/821/738/351/demand-justice-for-cecil-the-lion-in-zimbambwe/

White house petition to extradite Palmer has reached the 100,000 signatures goal (but I think you can still sign it)

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...tan-walter-james-palmer-face-justice-zimbabwe

Related article:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cecil-lion-petition-extradite-walter-811935

ETA: Wow! They have 121,800 signatures already. They could easily reach 200,000.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
CNN interviewed a hunter friend of Palmer. I could not believe there are people like him (and Palmer). He said something like only those who have killed know the feeling (I assume he meant exhilaration) of it. He believes hunting makes him brave. He even argued that killing some animals is good for the overall well being of wild life.

Sorry I am not very clear describing what he said - I am sure CNN has a video. Are these people sane? They get thrill from killing? It should be the opposite. They are not humans. They are worse than animals. At least animals kill only because they need food, and not in order to have 'fun'.

Angelskates

I think the internet vigilante has gone too far, wishing someone pain and death is wrong. This man did something awful; really, really awful, and he should have consequences for that. He should be charged. Publicly shamed, maybe (I tend to not like public shaming either, because sometimes it is incorrect information, or innocent people involved, like the people who worked for this man, or minors). Should he be physically harmed, killed, had what he did to the lion done to him - no. Two wrongs don't make a right, and anyone who harmed this man would be as bad as the man himself. Revenge is not justice.

I would like to see him extradited and face the consequences in Zimbabwe.

I do think this incident has brought out the worst in society. Yes, it has the whole lot of awfulness - protected animal, in unnecessary pain for hours, "senseless" kill (as in, the meat, fur etc. we're wasted, unlike I'm some hunting), but many animals on our tables at night have also been poorly treated, and many are every day, in awful conditions that the law allows. I'm a former vegetarian, love animals, and know the source of all meat that I consume, the conditions the animals are kept, what they're fed, etc. I would say the majority of people don't, and likely don't care or want to know. Because if even half the people outraged by this incident would make a fuss, laws would change to mean ALL animals are well treated, and animals for consumption all humanely kept and killed.

Sure, this wasn't just any lion, but what if it was? Is one lion really worth more than others? Because he's tame, or wild, or known? Hunting for entertainment should be outlawed globally, and we should be fighting for the ethical treatment of ALL animals. I hope once the outrage dies, that this is what will come out of it, not people wishing death, harm, or misfortune on someone.

Japanfan

I think the internet vigilante has gone too far, wishing someone pain and death is wrong. This man did something awful; really, really awful, and he should have consequences for that. He should be charged. Publicly shamed, maybe (I tend to not like public shaming either, because sometimes it is incorrect information, or innocent people involved, like the people who worked for this man, or minors).

Except, he probably won't get any consequences. He'll be free to do the same thing all over again. There would be a lot less outrage if it looked like he would be given his due by the legal system.

Angelskates

Except, he probably won't get any consequences. He'll be free to do the same thing all over again. There would be a lot less outrage if it looked like he would be given his due by the legal system.

But that is the legal system's issue, not his. And if that is the issue, then it was an issue before this. How is it his fault if he's not charged? Now that he's done what he's done, what do you think he should do? Go back to Zimbabwe voluntarily and ask to be charged and tried? Ask the US to charge him for something? Go out in public and let himself be attacked by those threatening him? He's already said that he'll cooperate if he's contacted by authorities.

Is anyone petitioning to the Zimbabwean government to get them to request extradition? The U.S. needs a formal request, and as far as I've read, there hasn't been one. Are the U.S. and Zimbabwe willing to accept any long term consequences for extradition outside of the extradition treaty (if this is)?

Public shaming affects so many more people that the one being shamed. And death threats and threats of physical harm go way beyond that. Most people seem outraged (rightly) that he did it, even in this thread, more than anything else. Because most people don't understand how someone can do something so awful. The other things are secondary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information