RIP Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by caseyedwards, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

"Aunt Joyce" was Jana Bobek's (Nicole Bobek's mother) lover. Joyce Barron and Jana Bobek were together for many years before Joyce B died. Apparently, Joyce B was known as Nicole's "aunt" since I guess no one would say openly that she and Jana were lovers.. Thus the "Aunt Joyce" came to being and that's how Evy Scotvold referred to her in Christine Brennan's book... If I am wrong someone please correct me or articulate further, but this is how I remember reading about this..

2. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Hooker nails was the name for Angela Maxwell wasn't it?

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I can't believe so many FSU posters and readers don't like Dave's blog and formspring.

Sometimes what he writes isn't half as snarky as what is posted here.

Instead of saying he is rude, I think he is just brutally honest. And regardless of that, he has TASTE in skating and that's really what I care about when I read his stuff.

4. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I believe so.

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

Truth be told, the best info I've got is still from FSU--the nice, the snark and the ugly--all of it. And many fans here are really funny--funnier than Aunt.

I only visited Aunt's blog ten times or less but the lack of proper formatting/paragraphing and the comingling of gymnastics and skating make it hard for me to pick out the "meat" from what bores me, so by the time I visit his page chances are I've heard something similar on FSU, with few exceptions.

As I said, id-ing FSU posters or outing skaters is kinda out of line...the rest I still don't read because of the unappealing design of the page in general. (And the snark here is better. :D )

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I've met and skated with Angela a couple times a few years ago, and from what little I know of her, I doubt something like "Hooker Nails" would bother her. :lol: At the same time, that's kind of how young people talk nowadays.

What I must admit though, is that Aunt Joyce hasn't said anything that hasn't been said in FSU in some way or another. Before anyone can condemn him, say they refuse to read his blog, do you still read the nasty stuff on this board and continue to visit? I absolutely hate it when skaters get called fat, ugly, etc on this board or when their personal lives are heavily scrutinized. It isn't right, especially because this is such as an aesthetic sport. The young skaters especially are extremely vulnerable emotionally.And as far as his blog, there were some legitimately informing blogs regarding Frank Carroll, judging and some of the underreported aspects of the sport. Some of the personal comments were a bit much, anonymous quotes about Evan Lysacek being a "closeted, self-absorbed queen" sh!t on Tanith Belbin's EDs for PR - although I did get a kick out of a comment about Kwan's a "Day in the Life" being so chill because she'd gotten away from Danny, was at UCLA, probably smoking pot and getting laid. :rofl:

But alas, while a Perez Hilton of mainstream pop culture can work because the subjects covered are usually big celebs (thus entitled to less privacy in the law's eyes), a Perez Hilton of the skating/gymnastics world might not work as well because some of the athletes covered aren't nearly as well-known as Hollywood or other sports stars. It makes it seem somewhat more intrusive, and I think that is the biggest problem people have had with this blog.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

So did "Aunt Joyce" run an ice cream stand as well?

8. missysays

missysays Active Member

I thought his posts were hilarious and also heart-felt at times.

I loved one of his recent posts about how Dick Button taught a generation of skating fans how to appreciate the finer points and details of skating- complete with a clip of Dick commenting on Peggy Fleming's gorgeous Nationals performance.

I, for one, will miss his posts. Aunt Joyce never took himself too seriously. It was good for a giggle.

9. mkats

mkats New Member

Yes, at the zoo, IIRC.

10. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

11. jlai

jlai Title-less

there's a good mix of mean, snark and nice on FSU that makes me return day after day.

I dunno. Had the site been organized and formatted properly, I might have perused it more carefully and overlooked a few overstepping the bounds moments.

12. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had no idea - I knew about Nicole Bobek's "aunt" but I never put two and two together. Also, I've heard sides that Jana and Joyce were legitimately just extremely good friends and not lovers, but I've also heard they were partners. How obscure, until it was posted ^^^ I had no idea they managed ice cream trucks. So random.

13. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

not defending this guy nor comparing some random blogger to a critic legend but pauline was vicious and cruel and went personal beyond just the actor's craft many times

14. Eggplant

Eggplant New Member

I totally agree.

I find it hard to understand, if you really read his blogs, how so many people could get so offended. His blog is funny, honest (and not even "brutally" so, imo) and revealing. I don't know. I guess it's a type of humor you can either take too seriously and get offended, while if you "get" it, it's harmless and hilarious. I would bet money that some of the very same skaters/gymnasts he discusses read that blog and got a total kick out of it.

I am so sad that he deleted the blog without saving it.

15. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

They have a wonderful thing called "Ignore" here. Plus some proactive mods. Or you can skip threads that you know will get too stupid and mean for your personal taste.

In a similar vein, I put that whole blog on my personal Ignore. (Because even the snarky name of it turned me off.)

When I was first on the Net in the 90s/ early 2000s, I used to get quite upset seeing the horrid things people would say, and I wasted so much time arguing with idiots. Now, like I said, I just try to let a lot of the idiocy skip right past me.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

You can still access the cached pages.

Re: Hooker nail. I accessed the cached pages to see what he said about Maxwell, and it's obvious he likes her.

He does have some insider info that FSUers would not reveal in a forum. But should he reveal them? hmmm.

17. _Lola_

_Lola_ New Member

Isn't it mean-spirited to post mean comments here?

Loved his blog! Gonna love it more when it's back!

18. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

As someone who hasn't been watching skating for years, I appreciated his blog and formspring. He taught me a lot about the sport, and I especially enjoyed hearing about things in the past that I've missed. It wasn't that mean. Honestly, I've seen worse stuff on here and other forums.

19. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

I really enjoy AJ's blog and am happy that he is not gone for good. The reason I enjoyed it so much was that I took it with a grain of salt. I like that he says what he thinks. The sanitized versions of events can be a bit bland after awhile.

20. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I thought it was rather obvious that Aunt Joyce usually made fun of the athletes he liked best or used to like and grew disenchanted/frustrated with (well, except for Lysacek and maybe a few others). Even his post about Tanith and her ED, he said in his formspring that he loves Tanith and was a huge fan of B/A. So it tended to be criticism/snark out of love, even if it was a bit harsh at times. Definitely not a blog to be taken seriously. :lol:

21. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy the blog as well. Like the videos he posts, lots of variety. And I agree that a lot of his snark is not to be taken seriously. Doesn't seem to be any worse than a lot of what gets said around here.

22. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Right. I mean really. If someone doesn't like someone's approach to his/her expression of opinions, then just don't go back. Maybe YOU are the one with the issues, and need to deal. Don't rag on Aunt Joyce, go into therapy or whatever. Worse has been said here in Secret Sources. All under the appearance of 'information' and basically gossip. So get over it. Aunt Joyce is actually a VERY nice, understanding, and sweet person. Opinionated? Sure. But I don't think there is a nasty bone in her body. Can't wait for more posts on her blog.

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

He's back!!

24. senorita

senorita New Member

Secret sources is not open to all and dont form opinions on people.
    But I m going into therapy. :rolleyes:

25. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Oh. :sekret:

I know he had some trouble with me forming opinions about his blog and the authenticy of his infos here on FSU, and therefore he made some comments about me mentioning my nickname here and suggesting my other profiles on other skating forum(s). I was made aware of that by several FSU posters. But I don't follow him so I dunno if he took it further with posting personal infos about me or not. He better not. :EVILLE:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Jiro2

Jiro2 New Member

The difference being all the great critics have had writing skills. Can't see much of those in evidence on Dave Lease's blog. :p

So we should all go into therapy because poor old Dave's ego can't handle his blog being criticised? Snicker. :lol:

Dave should know all about Sekret Sources. Considering that most of the stuff he posts on his blog is lifted from there. :D

I guess that now his hissy is over and enough people have begged him to come back to satisfy his fragile ego we can expect more Dorothy Parkeresque criticism. Or not. :lol:

27. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Yes!!!! :D:lol:

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It would be so awesome if the true reason for the blog being gone was indeed a lawsuit.

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  29. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Ever occur to you that maybe her sources are the same sources that FSUers have that then post to Secret Sources? That's a thought. Some parents and skaters love to dish, and they do so frequently. Whether it ends up in SS or AJ doesn't mean someone is lifting from someone else. Now there's a concept. :rolleyes:

AJ appears to have a thick skin. Sure, she gets annoyed that the SAME people who are on FSU write her and call her nasty names all the time. I know she got a lot of flack about referring to the 'Williams brothers'. That made me laugh, because it's so true! She wasn't being racist, she was actually being complimentary, since she's basically saying they demolish all the bowheaded little white girls with one stroke. And if seeing the Williamses across the net from you doesn't make you want to wet your bloomers, then I don't know what would. If you don't have a certain sense of humor, you won't get it. So just move on. It's harmless fun. I prefer my skating news wrapped up in a fun, non-uberish, chill style. Others do too.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's not complimentary when a gay white man like Dave Lease refers to black women as "brothers."

He's a cheap imitation of posters like Abomb and KerriFairy on GGMB. He's never going to be better than the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.