Rio Olympics in trouble?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jenny, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

10-12 cities would be a lot to rotate through. Assuming you mean 10-12 for both Olympics, that is still 20-24 years between Olympics. Will the venues still be in good shape in that time frame?

2. raineydaze

raineydaze New Member

If the Olympics were to go down this path, the cities chosen would go in knowing they've made a commitment to host the Games several times a century, and I think an important part of the bidding process would include what they would do with those venues in the interim - use them as training facilities (I can see some countries focusing their national sports programs in a chosen city), hosting other sporting events, etc. If the Olympic spirit is indeed a global spirit, I think having multiple host cities to rotate through is a good compromise between the current system and sticking the Olympics in one place.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's not that simple.

What do you do with the venues for the other three years and eleven months or so when the Games and the Paralympics aren't being staged?

A few examples:

China's Post-Olympic Woe: How To Fill An Empty Nest

By contrast,

zaha hadid: london aquatic center now complete

zaha hadid opens london aquatics centre to the public

It would not make economic sense for a host to make two sets of modifications every four years, so the larger seating arrangement and other accommodations for the Olympics would have to be left in place.

Similarly, London's Olympic Stadium had a seating capacity of 80,000 for the Olympics but now has a seating capacity of 25,000.

As for Athens:

Abandoned Venues From The 2004 Athens Olympics

There's not much reason to believe that Greece would have been able to afford the upkeep of these venues if it had to host the Games again every four years.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well, since as you already pointed out- the venues aren't being used for anything worthwhile already- at least now every 4 years they have a purpose. Does the Olympics make enough money for them to be worth it, I don't know. But for some reasons cities are still fighting each other to build NEW buildings every 4 years, so clearly there seems to be some perceived value.

5. morqet

morqet Active Member

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...e-secret-plea-to-use-2012-venues-9344084.html

I could maybe see it working if as suggested in the article it was split with Glasgow - things like the equestrian events, rowing, volleyball, cycling, gymnastics, boxing, tennis could take place in London as the venues could reasonably easily be made operational again, and swimming & athletics which need the really big venues could use the Commonwealth Games facilities in Glasgow. And they have plenty of golf courses ready to go up there! It's the accommodation that would be the real struggle.

6. Vagabond

If the Games were moved to London and Glasgow but kept on the same dates as currently planned, accommodation would be a big problem for Glasgow (and Scotland). The Edinburgh Festival is on then, which means enormous competition for accommodation. Edinburgh is usually booked solid for the whole month of August, and tourists who arrive without reservations sometimes have to stay as far away as Glasgow as it is. If Glasgow hosts just the swimming and some soccer matches, though, it might be manageable.

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

8. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Would be BLOODY IMMENSE if they were moved to London! :cheer: but can't see it happening - Let's see how much the World Cup is f*cked up first.

9. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Well said. All of this.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I thought London was great and wouldn't mind the move. The only downside was the big time difference but it worked out. Rio would be much better for NBC as they can air almost everything live, there is no time difference, really. It is only 1 hour ahead of Eastern time. As a fan, that is always the best but of course what is best for me is the complete opposite for those across the world.

Of course, NBC moved a lot of the big name sports early in the day to accommodate that time difference in London but this would allow them to keep the events later on. It just FEELS wrong to hold a big gymnastics competition at lunch. lol

11. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I heard the athletes' village in London has already been transitioned into housing for locals. Might be hard to find new places for the athletes.

12. Vagabond

London and the Home Counties have a lot of student housing that could potentially be used to accommodate athletes. Security and other logistics, however, would be complicated.

In 1984, at least part of the UCLA campus was used for the athletes village, so this isn't a completely novel idea. I don't think, however, that there's anywhere in London itself that has such a large concentration of student housing.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

The athletes village are in East end (Straford) and majority of the Universities and housing in central and west end of London, the commutation time to venues. The relatively big universities are Queen Mary and Greenwich. However, the idea of students moving out during games is bad for the students, especially if they are international. i would hate such a scenario, and few negative stories and UK universities will have fewer international students coming to study, which will decrease the revenue, lets be fair international students are treated as cash cows.

14. Vagabond

What on earth are you talking about? :confused:

The Olympics are usually in August, when British universities are not in regular session. Some have their own summer schools, but others rent out space for summer schools, conferences, and tourists.

To be sure, there are foreign students going to these summer sessions, but they usually aren't working toward degrees at those universities.

And if the track and field and swimming events were in Glasgow, the need for athlete housing near Stratford would be greatly reduced.

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

What are you talking about, i was a student at Queen Mary, University of London. Uni accommodation at the point allowed only the first year Bachelors, Masters and PhD students accommodation. Even then PhD and Masters stayed back during the so called summer vacation since there is no such thing for them, they still have to hand in their thesis. People who were doing their Bachelors also stayed back and found places outside before moving out, they wanted a buffer period before finding a place. Even then QMUL only has some 2000 rooms available, some of them are not fit for olympic athletes. As far as i can remember it is the largest on sight accommodation in London for any universities.

16. morqet

morqet Active Member

I'd imagine they wouldn't rely on directly owned university accommodation, it would be the private providers like UNITE or Mansion House. Unite are opening a huge new student block right by the Olympic Park in September - I think it has 2,000 beds in 1 block - and off the top of my head I can think of 4 other 600+ bed blocks in east or central London controlled by Unite alone. Working with those providers would make it fairly easy to get the accommodation without disrupting students too much. They usually give 50 week accommodation contracts - all you'd need to do is shorten contracts for 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years so the rooms are free over the summer. From my experience as an undergrad, the vast majority of students are perfectly happy not to be paying over the summer for accommodation that they aren't using.