Rio Olympics in trouble?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jenny, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked! (Not)

3. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Me neither...

Most World Cup cities are absolutely construction sites and a lot of the stadiums will be ready down to the wire, 43 days before the kick off.

I honestly thought, when the IOC awarded the 2016 Olympics to Rio, "No way they can mess this up, this is too big of an event."
    Sigh...

4. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

That Vice-President obviously wasn't around for Montreal 1976. Did they ever get the Olympic stadium finished? :shuffle:

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Darn. Going was going to be my grad school graduation present to myself :shuffle:

6. allezfred

I'd save your money for Tokyo. Rio hotels are :bribe: at the best of times. Can't imagine what they'll be like for the Olympics. :scream:

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, it must be :bribe: if Tokyo is the "cheaper" alternative :eek:

8. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The construction process would have been closer to being on schedule had the venues from the 2007 Pan-American Games been reusable without much need for upgrade/repair/update. Unfortunately, many of those venues have been deemed too small or does not meet Olympic standard.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

If Tokyo the first alternative if Rio does not work out? I was hoping it would be Chicago, so I could go.

10. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Enough to be used, yes. The Expos baseball team played there until they moved to Washington DC. Finished well, no. They had to cancel an indoor MLS (soccer) game against Seattle last month because the roof doesn't freaking support more than 3 cm of snow. In Montreal.

I have family in Chicago and would have loved to see it get the Olympics too. Surely it deserved better than the first round exit.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The linked article quoted IOC vice-president John Coates as saying

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The way things look at the moment, it's extremely unlikely that all stadium will get fully completed.

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

Out of curiosity, what IS the protocol for choosing an alternate city? I can't imagine there'd be very many places that could get ready for the Olympics in such a short time.

Is it just me, or does this seem to be happening more often lately? Athens, India for the Commonwealth Games, Beijing, Sochi, now Rio...they've had seven years. Why did these places run out of time, and why were places like Sydney and London ready early?

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

World cup will be hosted by 12 stadiums in 12 cities...

1) Rio - Stadium is complete and will also be used for the olympics for Opening, slicing ceremonies, Athletics and Football.

2) Brasilia - Complete, renovated and opened in June 2013; Satdium will also be used for 2016 olympic games.

3) Sao Paulo - Completed on 15th April 2014...had some accidents... First official match on 18th May. Will also be used for 2016 Olympics...
    But http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-23/stadium-not-ready-for-cup-test-event/5405414
    also
    4) Fortaleza - Completed, also hosted the Confederation cup in 2013.

5) Belo Horizonte - Completed, used for the conf. cup 2013, also for Olympics.

6) Porto Alegre - Completed, test match held in Feb 2014.

7) Salvador - Completed April 2013... will be used during the olympics. Used during the conf. cup 2013.

8) Recife - Completed May 2013...Used during the 2013 Conf. cup.

9) Culaba - Completed April 26th 2014 :eek:, http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y...-teste-na-arena-pantanal-2324639-2324683.html

10) Manaus - Completed March 2014... Test match already held.

11) Natal - Completed Jan 2014

12) Curitiba - Not completed - Arena da Baixada will host 4 group games.
    http://o.canada.com/sports/valcke-s...azil-but-world-cup-remains-a-concern-for-fifa

I believe a world cup host needs 10 stadiums to host a games, So brazil can drop Curtiba and still be fine (will need some adjustment of matches). For 2022 world cup, the number of stadiums could go down to 8.

I will give opportunity host the championships before being too critical, it seems most stadiums are ready, and the atmosphere in the arena can't match by any other country (including Argentina). Fifa seems to be relived with the progress that Brazil has made, so i think we should also be. As for 2016 games, I would like to know whether Aussie vice- president made the comment on a personal capacity or in official capacity.

15. allezfred

Officially the IOC says there is no alternative, but I would imagine there is some contingency plan such as perhaps going back to the most recent hosts.

I don't recall there being any delays in construction of venues for Beijing. :confused:

16. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

London again :cheer: But there would be just as many problems trying to get London ready in time: a lot of the venues have been dismantled or seriously reduced in capacity, and new homeowners & tenants have moved into the Athletes Village. Perhaps a solution if Rio can't be ready is to split the events across multiple cities.

17. allezfred

That might be another option, but I can only imagine that happening if things are really dire.

Every single Olympics that I can remember has had some :drama: attached to it regarding the host city before it happens (LONDON TRANSPORT CHAOS anyone? ;) ) whipped up helpfully by the international media, but things get sorted out in the end even if it last moment like Athens.

18. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

At a tremendous long-term cost to the Greek economy. The same will likely happen in Rio.

19. allezfred

Things would have to go seriously wrong for that to happen. Brazil is a much larger nation economically than Greece was (or ever will be).

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I thought all Olympics had a plan B- an alternate city. I don't believe it's ever happened that plan B was used, but there is always a first time for everything. I am not wishing it on Rio, but there can be situations that no one ever thought of.

21. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Being declared finished is not the same as "all systems work A OK".

Living in Porto Alegre, Beira Rio is the only venue I can actually discuss.
    The inaugural match, was held during heavy rainfall, which poured through the many cracks of the roof. The elevators weren't working, the water supply was defective, cell phone reception was simply a no go, etc. Those issues are still being being fixed.
    I believe that all of the other stadiums that were opened within the last few months suffered form problems like these.

The areas around the stadium are a mess. The temp structures haven't even began being built. Most of the construction around the city meant to ease traffic will not be even close to being finished. The ones right next to the stadium, which includes a bridge (will look like this, looks like this now) may be ready in time, but it will be a very close call.

This video was made on the occasion of city's anniversary (26th March), and it shows pretty accurately how things are...
    Warning: this features Pharell's "Happy". If you, like me, can't hear it anymore, you've been warned :D

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's a two-part process. Part I is described here, and Part II is described here.

I have, however, seen reports of a proposal for an alternative, low-cost version that would not require choosing a different city. :)

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think it's time for the IOC to rethink the entire process. In the post WW II era up to the mid 70s, it was an economic benefit to build a lot of new stuff. Now, not so much.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes, when I said 'fully completed' I referred to everything being properly finished and working ok, as per beepbeep's post.

25. Vagabond

A re-think might be a good idea.

One of the things that the IOC should scrutinize more carefully is what the host city would do with the venues after the Olympics. Los Angeles and London had thought that issue through very carefully before submitting the bid. Almost every venue used in Los Angeles was an existing venue, and most of the ones in London were too. Many of those that weren't, like London's swimming center, were designed to be converted into smaller facilities that could be used for training and smaller-scale competitions. Contrast that with the figure skating and short track venue in Sochi which, just in the period since the bid was accepted, has been intended to be dismantled and moved to another city, converted into a velodome, kept as a skating facility, and, IIRC, used as an exhibition center.

This is difficult thing to include in the bidding process because it means the bidding cities need to plan for what happens after the Games before making the bid (or about nine years in advance), but, as London has shown, it can be done.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sadly IOC doesn't seem to really care about that part. But I think that a detailed and practical long-term legacy plan should be a requirement and should be something taken into consideration when deciding on who gets the Olympics.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe they should just have it in one place. Of course, nobody is going to go for that idea unless we create some sort of neutral area that isn't owned by anyone other than the IOC.

28. Vagabond

Back in the 1980's and '90's, Greece kept harping on about how it should be the permanent host of the Summer Olympics. I don't think many people in Greece would support that idea now. :shuffle:

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Except, if the structures all stay the same- it is just a revenue source.

The problem with the Olympics is the cost to set them up. Greece has already paid that.

If we hold the winter Olympics in Antartica there might actually be snow.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  30. raineydaze

raineydaze New Member

I would actually support several cities across the continents being chosen as Olympic hosts and having the Games rotate through them. I think this would be especially helpful for the Winter Olympics which has a smaller pool of candidate cities naturally due to the requirements it takes to host a Winter Games. It's become such a burden for most cities to build venues and then figure out what to do with them once the Games are over that it makes sense to have 10-12 Olympic cities that can be used repeatedly.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.