Riedell--Which one--1310/2010/1500????

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by EOS8r, Dec 24, 2010.

1. EOS8r

EOS8r New Member

Help help help.
    My daughter is in Klings - 4th pair.
    Here's the thing, she has a narrow heel to match her narrow foot, other than that she does not have odd shaped feet and I cannot justify custom boots.
    Unbeknownst to me until recently, her heel has been lifting out of the boot on her landing foot. She is meticulous about lacing up correctly. To compensate she over tightens and now has tenderness on her achiles tendon.
    :wall:
    Been to Skate Boutique where she has tried on several different pairs of boots.
    Now we are not sure which one is best! :confused:
    She is close to her 2A and will be working on triples this coming year with luck. She is very petite and slender and is about 85/88lbs.
    I am so confused right now and so is she. I cannot manage to just drop $1000++ on skates/blades on a whim more than once a year, but if necessary will do it.
    We are intrigued with the Riedells because of the HLS, and the light weight boot, but have heard they break down quickly. She skates hard, and about 12/15 hrs a week depending on availability and has broken in each of her Klings quickly in comparison.
    So, which one? Any real gurus out there?
    Just to throw a spanner into the works: We now are actually considering the new EDEAs as well (icefly). Anyone have any thoughts about that boot?
    HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
    ...don't even get me started on blades.

2. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

I am going send you a private message with the number of someone at Riedell you may want to chat with. He is a good guy and has done well with my skater, a Senior man.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the Riedell 2010 LS skates. I absolutely love them! The back is cut a tad lower than previous Riedell skate models, but I haven't had any problems with my heel slipping around in them. Then again, I'm not on the ice for 12-15 hours a week, either. ;)

4. cdnskatewatcher

cdnskatewatcher New Member

Sounds like your Klings were misfitted, or, you are in stock boots. If you were in custom, the heel lock (if you ordered it) should have kept the heels down. Contact Don Klingbeil in NY; he can likely rebuild them (if they're not outgrown) or modify them, which will save you $$$$. Klingbeil has amazing customer service - you simply have to contact them. The heel lock in the custom Klings is extremely well done.

In terms of the Riedells: If you've been to the Skating Boutique, then, you've likely worked with one of Jay, Adam or Kevin who are all experts in the field and will fit you very well. All of them are more than capable of telling you precisely what Riedells you need; they will also send boots home with you on approval for your coach to check, and are very good at calling your coach to ask about things like jump technique, plans, etc. They can get pretty much any variant on the Riedell in ASAP. And, if the boot isn't working, they'll work with you to make it work.

Split widths in the Riedells are easy to get too, which may accomodate the narrow heel.

Riedells do NOT break down any faster than any other boot; they do break in well, but, if you're skating 12 to 15 hours a week - then, you should expect to burn through a pair every year, not to mention simply outgrowing them.

As for the Edeas: don't know much about them - have heard that they are stiff. I myself don't like the look of them, but, that's just aesthetics.

5. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

When she progresses to her double axel and triple you will probably need to buy her 2 sets of boots and 1 set of blades per year. The boots for that level are easily 1,000 dollars like you said, times two= 2,000 dollars, plus 500 dollars for the blades. With taxes you're looking at 3,000 a year on boots and blades alone if you want her to have the equipment she will need. That's just a heads up.

AS for the HLS...there are some advanced skaters in them, and lightweight boot doesn't necessarily mean they will break down faster, however it's really just a personal preference as to how it fits, how it feels, and what she likes.

I skate in Risport RF2 Supers which are heavy boots and I hate the feel of lightweight boots when I try them on. RF2 Supers are a great option as they're very stiff and don't break down too quickly, if you can find them in your area. Mao Asada and Brian Joubert wear/wore (not sure which) them and you can assume they beat them up pretty well. ;)

6. another sk8rmom

another sk8rmom Active Member

If you are willing to consider other brands, I recommend SP Teri. My daughter has very narrow feet and heels. She had similiar problems with the heel lifting and the toe box being too wide so we tried several brands and models before finding the SP Teri Super Teri Deluxe. They are available as stock boots and also offer split widths so that you can get the exact width needed for both the heel and ball of the foot. They also offer heel huggers which ensure that the heel stays in place. These are really solid boots and with the heat molding there is almost no break in time. My daughter is working on 2A / 3Sal and right now the boots last about 1 year before they start breaking down. I think the price for these the last time we purchased were in the $500 - $600 range which is quite a bit less than full customs. Even though these are considered "stock boots" SP Teri does not stock the split sizes so from our experience you do have to allow at least about 8 weeks from the time you order them.