Riedell vs. SP-Teri

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by leafygreens, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

The notch will actually make the KT-2's feel *less* different from your current boots. That's because your current boots are broken in, so you can bend at the ankle, but new boots are stiff, making it hard to bend at the ankles. The notch makes the ankle bend a little easier, although it still won't be as easy as bending your ankles in your broken-in Riedells. FWIW, I had zero adjustment going from a pair of broken in/slightly broken down Super Teri Deluxe (with no notch in the lace area) to the KT-2.
    If you've never had bruising during break-in, you never did outside spread eagles in the old Super Teri Deluxe boots, LOL! It's no wonder they discontinued them and replaced them with the better designed KT-2's! ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

So SP Teri's aren't cement blocks any more (ie super stiff and hard to break in)? That's why I never bothered to try them.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

The current price list I have says that the KT-2 is designed for skaters doing "double and triple jumps" but then it says "The skater can do jumps immediately after one or two days of break-in time."

Super Teri Deluxe says for "doubles and triples" but nothing about quick break-in.

The Super Teri says for "single jumps" and "Easy to break-in."

I think I need more than the Super Teri since I'm learning doubles and a tall adult. Will probably go with KT-2 due to Doubletoe's suggestion and since it says quick break-in.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

When I started skating in the '60s there was nowhere to buy skates. The rink owner/coach used to trace our feet on a piece of cardboard and send it to the boot manufacturer. The boot manufacturer would then send the boot that most closely matched.

5. Doubletoe

You can't really judge what model boot to wear just based on whether you're doing single or double jumps. If you weigh 80 lbs and are doing doubles (most of the kids), you don't need KT-2's, but if you weigh 120 lbs and are doing axels and working on doubles (that was me when I switched to KT-2's), then they are probably the right stiffness for you because you put a lot more pressure on that boot every time you take off and land.

Yes, the Super Teri Deluxe boots were a pair of cement blocks! Can you believe I didn't even know about gel ankle sleeves when I had to break in my first pair of those things?! The KT-2's keep the stiffness where you need it but take away the cement block torture factor! Very well designed boots, IMO. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Thanks doubletoe & Diane. Looks like the concensus is for the KT-2's. I am going to send my measurements in, and see if they think this is the right boot for me.

8. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

In fact, if I'm not mistaken by my memory, he wasn't so happy of the KT-2, at the end...

9. Doubletoe

Yes, he said he broke them down too fast:

I first had the KT-2 boots, but I broke them down completely in 2 weeks. Then, in 2011, I purchase the KT-3s (with the intention to relearn triples at some point), but then they broke down in about 2-3 months. It was very annoying to have two boots that were otherwise good boots, fall apart that fast! I understood with the 2's, but when I killed the KT-3, I was shocked.

Scootie is a strong adult male skater with big double jump combinations and deep knee bend, so his experience is probably not what a lady landing axels and working on lower level doubles should expect. I've gotten 2 years out of each pair before getting the right boot reinforced and getting another year or so out of them. The Senior lady I know who wears KT-2's replaces hers every 6 months, which is typical for the number of hours and aggressive level of skating at her level.

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Haven't skated for years, but wanted to mention that when I got my Reidells back then, they were a 6-1/2 AAA with AAAAA heel!!! If you think I am the only person in the world with that skinny of feet, they just happened to be in the process of mounting blades on that size skate for someone else and I got to try it on. So there were two of us, at least. I also got a more padded tongue at no extra charge. Uh, this was back in the 90's. I can't imagine what skates cost now.

11. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

When... I just placed an order for a pair of custom Riedell. I heard the quality of Riedell custom improved in the last 5 years. I'll let ya'll know how it goes in a month or two. I should have it by the end of the month.