Riedell vs. SP-Teri

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by leafygreens, Aug 8, 2012.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Thinking about making the switch from Riedell to SP-Teri (coach's suggestion.) Anybody got any experience with this? Are SP-Teri's too much different or worth the extra cost?

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

It comes down to which boots fit your feet best. Some say, too, that Riedell's quality has slipped in recent years (YMMV). Riedells tend to fit narrower feet.

3. leafygreens

I'm going to order them through the mail, so I'm hesitant to buy something custom like SP-Teri's if I can't try them on. But if they're really good quality then I'd consider it.

4. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Never, ever order skates through the mail. Even if you have worn exactly the same size in the exact same skates before - two pairs of skates are never identical.

Since you have never worn SP-Teris before, you need to go to a qualified, experienced fitter who can measure you properly and give you lots of choices to try on. And if you do order something and it doesn't fit, they should have a policy that they will send the skates back at no charge to you.

Did your coach tell you why he/she wants you in SP-Teris? SP-Teris are very different from Riedells. Just b/c they might fit a lot of his/her students well doesn't mean they will fit you. My general advice is to never switch to a boot on the basis of a recommendation from someone who isn't actually measuring you for skates.

Ask your coach (and other skaters and parents) for a fitter recommendation.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Plus, aren't SP Teri's rather strong? You need to be careful that you aren't in too much boot. A reputable skate fitter would be able to help with that too.

6. leafygreens

My coach did the fitting (she's experienced with SP's), measured all aspects of my feet and filled out a long form. Unfortunately we live nowhere near any kind of boot fitter. But your comment that SP's are "very different from Riedells" makes me hesitant to switch. The SP price list says that any custom boots are non-returnable. I'm assuming this means even custom features like split tongues. I would be willing to travel for a fitting if I knew a really good place to go (not some hockey kid behind a counter which is all we have in our location).

What I liked about my most recent pair of Riedell's is that there was practically no break-in time, even though I had to have some custom padding put in at the shop I went to (don't live near there anymore). However, they broke down really quickly. I don't know if I got a weaker model than what I needed, or if they were just low quality.

7. purple skates

You may have had too little boot if they broke down quickly.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

You may want to contact them and ask them to clarify that.. I think that is just considered a special order, not a custom, but it still may mean an order is not returnable.

SP Teri can also recommend to you where to go for a fitting - just give them a call or email and ask.

No break in time and broke down quickly tend to support that you may have been underbooted in your current skates OR it's possible you weren't fit in the correct size (skates too big will break down faster). Even the "best" fitting skates in the right stiffness will still take at least a couple of weeks to get comfortable. If you step on the ice and they're 100% perfect from day one then that should throw up a red flag, because as those skates break in, they will ultimately fit too loosely.

I would also ask why your coach is recommending SP Teri over Riedell - is it a personal preference or does she suspect some kind of fit issue that could be addressed better with a different brand of boot?

9. purple skates

Depends on the brand. My two pairs of Klingbeils were immediately comfortable, and fit fine even after years and years.

10. another sk8rmom

another sk8rmom Active Member

My daughter has been skating in SP Teri's for close to 10 years and absoutely loves them. She has a very narrow foot and even narrower heel and was not able to find another brand that could fit her accurately. Surprised at the other poster who said Riedell is for narrower feet becasue that definitely was not the case for her. She moved to SP Teri specifically because none of the other brands she tried (Reidell, Harlick, Risport, Jackson) fit right. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

What level are you skating? Is there a reason you would need to order custom? My daughter competes at junior with the SP Teri Deluxe and we are able to get split widths with narrower heel and it is still considered stock. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

Break in time is usually only a couple of days using bunga pads around her ankles.

One thing I will mention though is that it usually takes a long time to get the skates. Seems like they don't keep much inventory even in stock models so basically when you order they have to actually make the skates. Average time is 6 - 8 weeks and a couple of times it took over 3 months. We just plan accordingly now and order early so she has them when needed.

11. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Our fitter discourages brand hopping.

We use semi custom riedells. They do split widths for no extra fee but more than 2 changes =semi. Skater has a very narrow heel.

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I've always worn Riedell and I've always been told by expert fitters that they are the wrong skates for me. I have tried on Harlick, Jackson, SP Teri etc and none of them feel good in the store. I don't know if it is just because I am used to Riedell, but I am one of the few skaters I have ever known who didn't have foot or boot problems.

Can you return the Teris if they don't feel right (before the blades are mounted)? I wouldn't buy any boots that felt uncomfortable when you stand or walk in them. The experts mean well and can help you decide, but you are the one who is going to be wearing the boots.

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I tried to switch from Riedell to SP-Teri many years ago and found that while the SP-teris fit my narrow heel - wider ball okay, the toe box was too flat and pressed down painfully on the top of my foot at the base of my toes. My very-experienced fitter tried everything he could think of to widen the area but nothing hwelped. He ended up taking the boots back from me and I went back to Riedell. I'm in custom Klingbeils now, though and there's just NO comparison.

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

That was my experience with Teri and Jackson, the toe box was too flat. Riedell has a reputation for being narrower in the toe, but I think the lacing goes down further making the toe/ball of the foot area more adjustable.

As others have said, there is no substitute for trying them on. Don't let anyone pressure you into buying uncomfortable boots with the promise that "they will feel fine once you break them in". Don't mount the blades if you have doubts!

15. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

There's also a significant difference between a fully custom boot and stock.

16. purple skates

Both of my Klings were stock.

17. leafygreens

Very helpful - check your PM's.

18. leafygreens

What makes Klingbiels so great?

19. zaphyre14

They fit.

20. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

Years ago I tried SP Teri's on and loved them - until I stood up. I found the heel height higher than what I was used to/liked. I had been through many pairs of Reidell up to that point, and ended up in Harlicks.

21. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I think it also makes a difference which model of Riedells you're switching from, and how stiff a boot you need. Are you doing single jumps or double jumps? Do you break boots down quickly?
    I've been in SP Teri's for a long time and am about to move into my third pair of KT-2's. What I like about the KT-2 design is that it is a stiff boot, but the notch in the lace area allows you to bend your ankles in them so they aren't so hard to break in. The extra piece of leather (or plastic, if you get a stock boot) keeps them from creasing prematurely right by the notch. Best of both worlds, IMO. As for not being high/roomy enough in the toes, I don't think that should be a problem with the new heat-moldable boots because as long as they are wide enough and long enough, the shape will conform to the shape of your toes during heat-molding.
    It sounds like you're getting customs. Would it be possible for you to give SP Teri your measurements over the phone and ask them to send you the closest size in stock boots so you could just try them on and tell them how close they are? I started with stock boots (size 6-1/2 B) and told them they were a little narrow in the front, a little big in the heel, and just a tad short in the length of the left boot. This information was probably more helpful to them than my measurements, because when I got my customs, they fit perfectly. People who just send in their measurements sometimes get a surprising variance in sizing (not only with SP Teris, but with other brands, too).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  22. purple skates

:lol: Kind of a trite answer, but true. If I ever had a pair of skates that felt like bedroom slippers with the strength superman, Klingbeils are it. I am not in them at the moment, but only because I couldn't afford a new pair. I will save my pennies because I will go back to them.

23. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

My Klingbeils (2 pairs) don't fit that well. :(

24. zaphyre14

Did you get them fitted in person by Don? He takes great pride in making sure the boots fit.

25. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

My two cents:

I started out in Riedell, but they were not the right boot for me from the start. I was almost 14 at the time, and the guy at the pro shop told my dad that I could start with these since I had only been skating on rentals for 2 months, but if I was still skating in a year then to take me to SP Teri to get custom skates, because my feet were just too funky for stock boots from anyone. Fortunately for me, I live 45-60 minutes away from where SP Teri makes their boots ;-) My coaches (at the time) both skated in SP Teri's and recommended them as well. But that was yeaaarrrrssssss ago, and you wouldn't get a lot of recommendations for them now from any of the coaches or skaters at my former home rink (at least the last time I was there, 6 years ago).

I skated in those Ridells for 2 years, though I had broken them down in about 6 months. We brought them in for a sharpening to the guy we had bought them from (I had been having my skates sharpened regularly in those 2 years, until the skate sharpener at my rink left, so I was back to a 45 minute drive to get them sharpened) and I dunno what he told my dad while I was out of the room, but when we left my dad handed me the cell phone and told me to call SP Teri to make an appointment to get fitted for custom boots.

I'm not skating anymore, but while I was skating I went through 2 pairs of SP Teri's... well, 3 actually, my second pair they rebuilt because we couldn't get the heel to fit right with all the adjustments they could do, so they had to reduce the heel size a bit. But they have fit great ever since then, and if I were to skate again I would pull out the last pair since they still fit pretty darn well and haven't broken down much. It would at least get me through the first 6 - 12 months and then I'd have to get new skates if I were to keep skating regularly.

26. treesprite

treesprite Member

I went from Reidell Silver Star to SP Teri Super Teris and was extremely happy that I switched. But then, that was a couple of decades ago so quality and stuff may be different now... I tend to doubt it. But neither of them could ever beat out my Jackson EPs!

27. leafygreens

I appreciate everyone's responses, even though I'm more confused and conflicted now than before.

I spoke to a coach this week who has used Klingbiel's through the years, and she said "once the son took over" that the quality slipped dramatically. Then I thought, well maybe I shouldn't get those.

My coach is very experienced and recommends SP-Teri's for her students so I will probably end up going that route. Because I don't know who to believe from all the coaches and people online that I've talked to.

It's probably a good idea for me to ask if they can ship me a pair to try on. My feet are two different sizes and I have a feeling they will end up being custom in some way. But I really need to try something on before just saying, "Hey, send me a pair of custom boots that I haven't tried on and can't return."

About the heel - I visually compared my Riedell's to another skater's SP Teri's and the heel height looked the same. My coach said they can also cut the heel down to match my Riedell's if it's too different.

28. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Which model of SP Teris are you considering? Having skated in the old Super Deluxe and then switched to the new KT-2 model, I recommend getting some of the new features on the KT-2 that make them more comfortable, even if you're getting custom boots with a lower stiffness level. As mentioned in my previous post, the notch in the lace area makes it easier to bend it them as you break them in, while the "power tab" below the notch prevents premature creasing. The soft roll top also reduces the bruising from the top of the boot pressing into the lower calf during break-in. The lacebite protector strip on the front of the tongue is a great feature, too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'm in Riedell Silver stars at the moment, and they have served me very well, I gather that they have changed the names or models since I bought these, does anyone have a link that shows what the equivalent boot would be now?

30. leafygreens

Coach recommends Super Teri (not returnable) or KT-2 (returnable). I just want something that's not too "different" than any of the Riedells I've worn before. I've never had a "notch" so I'm not sure how long it would take me to adjust to that. I've never had bruising during break in! That sounds bad.