Riedell LS 2010 boots

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by icechamp31, Apr 25, 2011.

1. icechamp31

icechamp31 New Member

I am a 22 year old skater working on ISI FS4 and USFS Preliminary (single loops, flips, sit spins). I need new skates because my gold star 375's are too narrow. I went to a pro shop and I was recommended the LS 2010 (those super fancy light weight boots), which is generally for people working on levels that are much higher than I am now, as well as double jumps, due to my size and because I struggle with getting low on sit spins. Apparently the low cut back on the LS 2010's is supposed to help me with with flexibility and get lower on spins. Does anyone else use these boots? Is this "light weight" business all that it is hyped up to be? Do you like them? Are there any other adults who are working on similar levels who use skate in these boots?
  2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I heard that they are good; I haven't tried them myself.

The lower cut at the back of the boot is not going to help you getting lower on sit spin. If you do normal squat, you can notice that your leg will be pushing your boot at the front, not at the back, so the lower cut has no influence on sit spin. The lower cut at the back will help you point the toe though.

Are your boots loose enough at the top when you lace your boots? Can you bend your ankle properly? Can you do normal squat on the ice low enough (you can do it on both feet)?
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

If a Riedell boot is too narrow for you, chances are that any other Riedell boot (even the 2010) will also be too narrow for you.

hanca is right; the low cut back wont' help on sit spins. It'll help with toe point, if that's any consolation.

I haven't heard a whole lot about the new lightweight Riedells; a few reports of "wow, they were really, really comfortable but they broke down really fast" is all I have heard.

Does your coach have suggestions? That's where I'd go first; he/she/they will know your skill level and any other decisive factors (weight and such) best.
  4. icechamp31

icechamp31 New Member

My coach sent me to this proshop who reccomended this boot for me based on all of the factors. I am pretty sure these boots won't be too narrow because my current gold stars are a 6.5 width B and I know that Riedell makes wider boots. I tried a boot on from the same series on in a 6.5 C and it felt a lot more comfortable than what I was in now. I was measured wrong when I bought my old skates so I was skating in boots that didn't fit. I was measured correctly this time and they told me I just needed to go up a width. My ankles are so stiff now in my gold star which is stopping me from getting down low, the fact that there is less ankle support will help me bend more, according to the guy at the shop. I went ahead and ordered them so hopefully they will work.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Good luck! It will make a HUGE difference having boots that fit.