Richard Callaghan Interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HSGP21, Nov 27, 2011.

1. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuw_3HyOsJs

An interesting interview. Reminded me how much I enjoyed the competitive days with Todd, Nicole B, Tara, etc. Does he have any up and comers these days? Feel we haven't seen Richard in quite sometime... a far cry from having both singles national champions in 1997!

2. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

That was thrilling to watch the link above, allendale 101, not so much for Richard, but he also has 92 Albertville Olympics man by man, fabulous.

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I remember that a male student in Detroit accused Calaghan of sexual harassment and he abruptly announced his retirement. Angela Nikodinov had just moved to him at the time.

The next thing I heard about him he was coaching in Florida. Apparently Nicole is in Florida also working at another rink, and he and Todd are sort of mentoring her (along with JoJo Starbuck), to try and keep her away from the drug crowd.

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Who are the three world champions for Callaghan? Todd, Tara and ???

5. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Arakawa, perhaps? He coached her until shortly before 2004 Worlds. He was also Meissner's coach for a time (2008-10?).

6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Sometimes World medalists during the World Championships medal ceremony are referred to as a collective group of "World champions" when they are introduced to the audience and take their victory lap even though the silver and bronze medalists are not technically the champion gold medalist. Maybe the interviewer was collectively grouping Nicole in with Todd and Tara since she is a World bronze medalist. Who knows?