Revolution (Mondays on NBC) - Season One

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 25, 2012.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

yeah, I don't think the show is anywhere near dark enough. And I'm tired of seeing the ladies wearing perfectly fitted skinny jeans - which, inventory issues aside, I just don't think women would be wearing 15 years into a post-electricity civilization. Especially not one who was 4 or whatever when the blackout happened.

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that people are still scavenging from clothes made before the black-out. Department stores were left with stock and jeans were scavenged off dead people. And people are very frugal with stuff made before the black-out. Skinny jeans were in at the time of the black-out, hence the skinny jeans.

Or that is the premise of other 'after the black-out and government melt-down' post-apocalyptic tales.

Doesn't hurt either that the women in the show have perfect bodies for skinny jeans.

3. genevieve

but bodies would not fit the existing clothing exactly the way they do now.

And from what we've seen of the immediate post-blackout world, people weren't exactly carefully catalogueing textiles to make them last for infinity - it was a mad scramble for survival, and it looks like people got out of the cities as quickly as possible focusing on food, not clothes. It just stretches credibility beyond suspension-of-belief level that these clothes would look and fit like someone wearing them today.

It just bugs me that even in a post-apocalyptic world, the most important thing on tv is for women to be fashionable and "sexy".

4. Japanfan

Why not? People are likely to be leaner and more fit if they live an agrarian, subsistence lifestyle as they do on the job.

I do get your point. But are all the women fashionable and sexy? The only one I noticed in skinny jeans with abs showing was Charley.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:duh: That's who that guy was! Just watched my tape tonight and it was driving me crazy trying to remember where I knew him from. :lol:

I also want to know how the world fell apart so quickly after the blackout. I mean, the tag said it was only 8 weeks later, didn't it? I don't think the military would have fallen apart in 8 weeks (unless I didn't see the tag line correct and it was much longer?). And how Miles and Sebastian and Jacob-from-Lost Guy ended up being the leaders of the Militia! I'm going to guess that in the beginning, they started to form a group that was really meant to protect people who were just trying to get by from the thugs, but somehow it get all effed up.

Please don't let Google Guy get dead. I like him. :p And please NBC, don't cancel this show until we get some answers! I hate it when they do that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I didn't see that, but it must have meant eight weeks after the previous scene that was shown. The larger story takes place fifteen years after the blackout.

7. BaileyCatts

If you blinked you missed it. :) It was only up a few seconds. When they were doing the flashback scenes with Miles and Sebastian (the one at the Base and the one where they came across the slain couple), they flashed a tag at the bottom of the screen that said "Two Weeks After the Blackout" and "Eight Weeks After the Blackout", or something to that affect. The segment where they were walking to Chicago, that's when they flashed that tagline on the screen that I think said it was 8 weeks later, and Miles made the comment about how did everything fall apart so fast.

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, we still don't know what caused the blackout. It appears to be man-made, and if it was done on purpose then it's possible that people high up had been orchestrating the fall of civilization for a long time and the power going out was only part of a very long string of events. I doubt Monroe is acting completely alone; I bet he has someone that he answers to. Someone who has power, probably.

9. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I've only seen the first two episodes (3 is still in the dvr). As far as I could tell, she didnt turn the iPhone on. She carries it because it has the only pics/videos/memories of her kids (and she has no way to view them). Just staring at the phone, knowing there in there, is all she has.

Also, what is the walk/dic man thing? I dont remember seeing that. Unfortunately, I deleted the episodes as soon as I watched them.

10. BaileyCatts

^ You will see what they mean when you watch episode 3. :)

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I got this from the library a few days ago and I've almost finished the first season. It's amazing, so much better than Revolution! :respec:

12. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Yeah.. sure enough... lol... I thought what I was reading was pre-epi3, but guess not. I was working overnight on a system change (which means lots of waiting for things to run) so I got to watch episode 3 at about 4:00 this morning. So, does that thing actually generate power? I mean, if Grace (?) can power up the worlds oldest computer with it, then an iPhone and a discman should be no problem.

So I'm guessing Miles and Monroe started a militia together with the good intentions of stopping thugs like those two guys, and Miles didnt like where Monroe was taking it, so he took off to live incognito in some once-fancy hotel, tending bar? Where does the liquor come from? I'm thinking, no power, most would have been consumed in the first few years.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

:fragile::wuzrobbed:fragile::wuzrobbed

Yes, I teared up over the death. Dammit.

14. genevieve

That was a nice episode for Maggie - I wish we had gotten a bit more of her and less of Danny and The Tornado. But I have to confess I'm glad it was her and not GoogleNerd.

Nice to see that Charlie was always that whiny and snivelling - but man, that kid looks so much like older Charlie that I wouldn't be surprised if the actresses are sisters themselves.

Poor Giancarlo Esposito - he's throwing everything he has into his performance and all he has to work with is the Peeta reject :lol:

Backstory continues to intrigue; Charlie continues to annoy ;)

15. Japanfan

You don't need any power to brew alcohol, it's been around for centuries. So I guess the assumption is that people are brewing their own booze. But having bottles remaining from pre-blackout does seem unlikely.

There are things that could/should be happening in the absence of electricity as well - steam power being the first that comes to mind.

16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Darn it ... I keep trying to find this show on Monday night's and am batting zero! I saw the first episode and since then - nadda. Ticks me off. I know it's on some channel somewhere but drats if I can find it.

17. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

The preview for next week's episode has me rolling my eyes. If they can steam punk a working train, then surely the more powerful guys would have some of the very simple cars that didn't rely on electronic gadgetry to work. There would be entire enclaves of VW fans with working cars.

18. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I think I'm done with this one. I went into it expecting one thing and ended up with something else. I simply cannot believe that in 15 years with no electricity, civilization would have collapsed so thoroughly. Mankind made it for thousands of years without electricity, why now would they lack the ability to carry on??

Also, I can't stand the lead actress playing Charlie. One minute she's hell-bent for leather wanting to take on the militia and the next she's looking at someone with anime eyes trying to be coquettish and girly. Her facial expressions alone make me wish she was the next one offed.

19. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I must be the only one who would expect a very rapid demise of government, civil society, etc., if all power were suddenly lost. The fact that people lived without power for thousands of years and were just fine is completely irrelevant. It is about what has been lost, it is about what we are used to, it is about our complete dependence on power for everything.

20. BaileyCatts

Finally caught up with Episode 4. Even with how kinda quick it was, Maggie's death was :wuzrobbed. I didn't really think about the aspect of her situation .... whatever land mass you were on at the time of The Blackout, that's it. If you were in America but lived in Europe, you will never see your family again. Sure you can walk from Cali to NY, but you can never get back across the ocean. Although .... wouldn't yatchs with sail's still work? :shuffle: Or would a sailboat never make it across the ocean like that?

And :mad: that my least favorite actress is now going to be on the show. Just read it in TV Guide. Hated her in every show I watch she's been in, so I'm sure I'll hate her here.

And gold stars go out to the Casting Department! The actress who plays a young Charlie is totally believable as that being Charlie! She looked exactly like her!

21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Miles from Lost! Hope to see him again.

The twist at the end was not that surprising but I didn't see the connection until this episode, so I'll give the writers credit.

BaileyCatts, is Kim Raver your least favourite actress? I liked her on Third Watch.

Elisabeth Mitchell is being extremely underused. Holding her captive is beyond boring.

So, there are twelve of those electric pendants? Hmm, I bet some of them are overseas. If the show lasts, I can see the show taking place in Paris or Tokyo. That could be fun.

22. genevieve

try tvguide.com

I believe you mean Lapidus ;)

They should just rename this show Charlie Screws Everything Up Again And Then Quavers Her Lip A Bunch

Absolutely no suspense in the reveal of "Nate" as Tom's son Jason, but it was a decent backstory ep. Or it would have been without the dipshit twins screwing up the train action.

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Well, there are always stories about people solo-sailing around the world.....but they're usually accompanied by a fleet of assistance vessels (just in case) and have high-tech navigational instruments and weather warnings. So, yeah, with a good boat, a good crew, and top-notch compass reading skills you could do it, but it would be a bit of a crap shoot.

Some people mentioned the possibility of using the Bering Strait (otherwise known as "I can see Russia from my house"), but if you're going to be marching across Alaska and Siberia, you better pick the right time of year.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Um, people have been crossing oceans for hundreds if not thousands of years without the benefit of electricity. There's no reason it can't be done in Revolution's world.

25. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Um, thank you Captain Obvious.

Part of Maggie's story was that she couldn't find anyone with a boat who was willing to cross the Atlantic. I would think that a person who HAD a good boat and crew could make a good living charging a LOT of money to get desperate people back home.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Oops. It's been awhile.

There may be a reason beyond mere incapacity that Maggie could not travel overseas by boat. People may be forbidden (by the Cape guy, perhaps?) to go overseas.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If a country like the US has become completely lawless and chaotic, one can only imagine what's going on in other countries that were less stable and developed at the time of the blackout (has this been addressed?), and on the high seas.

While people could certainly find the ways and means to get across the ocean, it might simply be too dangerous to even try.

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

People made it across the oceans for centuries and they would continue to do so, especially with some of the things they would have now that they did not have before (sturdier boats, bottled water, canned food, etc) I know this stuff would cease to be manufactured like it was but they would have some at first to send people on voyages with.

I also wonder if the U.S. is so lawless only because people planned to overthrow the government. What if this wasn't planned all around the World so the other places are still doing well? I have a feeling we will find out this was a global conspiracy pretty soon, though.

29. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

That's what I said awhile ago. What with Ben and Juliet (sorry, I can't remember what her name is supposed to be. :p ) working on those pendant thingies and them KNOWING about the power going out, obviously it was deliberate. Now, why would someone do something like that deliberately? Someone who WANTS the world to descend into chaos and probably have been slowly orchestrating the demise of society for years. It would explain how everything could disintegrate so quickly...those who tried to step up and pull things together were probably taken out. Humanity on the whole isn't likely to be so corrupt as to completely fall apart in 5-10 years, UNLESS people were actively helping it along and stamping out those who would try and resist.