Revolution (Mondays on NBC) - Season One

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 25, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Well, I really wish I could disagree with what most people are saying. But I cannot. :( It feels like this show is either written by a grade 9 class, or for a grade 9 class. I know that younger audiences bring in more $$$ in regards to advertising, so I'm wondering if the powers behind the show are dumbing it down for a more lucrative audience?

I'm going to give Revolution at least two more episodes before throwing in the towel. There have been so many shows since Lost that I wanted to like...Fringe, Alcatraz, Terra Nova, Grimm, Once Upon A Time...I wanted Revolution to be the one that kept me coming back week after week. Oh well, I still have The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries, Nikita and The Good Wife. :D

2. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing about five minutes in to the point that I posted on FB that I hoped SM Stirling got royalties.

3. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Yep, definitely one more for me because of the WTF taser-wielding Randall. For a show attached to JJ Abrams' name, this has been disappointing.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

yeesh, I have a really high tolerance for suspension-of-belief in these types of shows, but Revolution is losing, just because Charlie is so unlikeable. Even the little girl Charlie is annoying. I'm sick of her pouting, and her moralizing, and her well-tailored fashion in the apocalyptic future.

And her brother's obvious dye job is just making me wish the militia would off the both of them so we could have a better show.

BUT...there's an interesting show in there. If we can move away from the sheltered Katniss wannabe and focus on stepmom n' sidekick, Rachel, and Miles, and 'Bas, with a healthy dose of Giancarlo Esposito, then we've got a show!

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Of course Charlie is the central piece of that show, but for how long ? ;)

I kind of want Elizabeth Mitchell to turn badass :)

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I liked it. Twice now the ending has got me wanting more. I really want to know who the people are talking to each other on the computers. And how come there are several of those flash drives it seems. And now I want to know who Randall is. I could do without the sword fights and stuff but I guess you have to have those fights with the militia to have a good guys/bad guys deal going on. Once I watch a show I really don't like to just stop watching because then it bothers me I don't know how it ended. :lol: I'll stick with the show until the bitter end. :scream:

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Indeed - perhaps every since Alias, Abrams is stuck to the idea of a tough young female hero? I think I was one of the few who grew to like Kate on Lost, but so many fans did not ... however it didn't matter in the end because of the very strong group of characters around her and Jack, who many fans weren't big on either (Miles here being Jack there).

8. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I have HIGH hopes for Miles ! I sure hope he won't become a Jack 2.0. Pleaaaaaase !

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Revolution is doing best amount scripted shows in it's time slot. I LOVE this type of show but they never last. Hopefully the show will get better over time.

10. genevieve

And Felicity - she wasn't the same kind of "tough", but that character fits in with his penchant for young women defying expectations.

I don't think Charlie is much of a Kate, though. She's more of a Shannon - overprivileged (she appears quite sheltered for having grown up in the post-electric world), whiny, and can't see anything with any view besides her own. Hopefully she hasn't had sex with her brother, but it would actually make her more interesting :p

I LOVED Kate at the beginning. Such promise! Her backstory episode ("What Kate Did") did not live up to that promise - but perhaps by that point any explanation would not have felt like enough. Looooved her with Sawyer. Did not love her with Jack. Did not love her character being more defined in relation to those men rather than on her own. And eventually her insistence of doing the opposite of what she was told got weary (ok, Charlie definitely has that quality).

I don't see Miles as Jack, though. He's more like a Sawyer/Sayid hybrid. With Jack's ability to maintain a haircut that wouldn't look out of place in a lawyer's office despite compromised circumstances :p

11. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that the actors were never told what their characters history was in advance. So whenever they had a scene alluding to some deep, dark secret from their past, they were basically flying blind. Kate (I forget her name - Lily?) played those opening episodes with so much angst, that when she finally got her history revealed, it didn't measure up to the weight she had given it in the early episodes. I felt that was the case with many of the actors on LOST. It handicaps them in a very real way. I think the same will happen for the actors on Revolution if they are kept in the dark about their backstory in the overall narrative.

I remember reading an interview that Alan Rickman gave where he said J.K. Rowling revealed to him (and only him) what Snape's story was all about. I'm sure that helped him immensely in the early movies to give a more nuanced performance.

12. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

At least his character on Revolution is much more interesting that the wimpy "mirror."

I am still holding out hope that Revolution can be like The Event, which got much stronger as it went along. Although not quick enough to save it from being cancelled. :wuzrobbed

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I like her so far, but I'm only six episodes in. (Yes, I've finally been persuaded to watch "LOST"!)

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I loved Kate pretty much throughout the series. Unlike virtually every other show, it's hard to be overwhelmed by any one character. Given the structure of Lost, we may see only a few minutes of a main character over a stretch of episodes.

15. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Don't be discouraged by any criticisms here. LOST was a fun show. The key is to just enjoy the ride. That's where the real joy in LOST comes from. Every fan takes something different from the series, and have affinity for certain characters. (For me, it was Jin/Sun)

Sorry to divert from the thread topic!

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I liked everyone on Lost. :( One day I will buy the box set of the series. And maybe post an ad on craigslist and get a bunch of Losties to get together every week and watch a few epsiodes! :D

:wuzrobbed That's another one I gave up on! I did hang in there for about six episodes, but it just wasn't moving very quickly. Lost had such well-written characters (which in itself was enough for me) but they were also people I wanted to spend time getting to know better. Add to that, there were always a few !!!! moments every episode that almost made it must-view watching.

I, for one, would be happy if you talked about Lost in any thread that you like. :D

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Technically, only Revolution is post-apocalyptic. There was a war in the backstory of The Hunger Games world, but no apocalypse. The Hunger Games world is certainly dystopian, but the world of Revolution may or may not be classified as dystopian. Frontier lifestyle and statocratic rule does not necessarily = dystopia.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

One of my small pleasures when watching any new shows with these big, sprawling casts is recognizing actors from previous shows. Such as: Hey--the pilot from Pan Am! Hey--Jacob from Lost!

This show is not exactly good but it's fun and the plot is moving forward. I also think the actress playing Charlie is being unfairly maligned like Alyssa Czisney.

It seems like every new show these past few seasons have to have a SHOCKING! death early in its run in order to show that "no one is safe". I haven't found one death actually helping the show. But iwouldn't mind seeing Charlie's brother dead.

Lastly, where are the gay folks? This show needs gay people.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Gays are only allowed on sitcoms. And reality TV. But never dramas. Who's ever heard of dramatic gays???

20. genevieve

ugh, sad to note that someone will get killed next week and you just know it won't be Charlie or Danny :mad:

Other than that gigantic flaw, the show is getting a lot more interesting.

21. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Probably Google guy, because he's outlived his usefulness by giving stepmom the tech thingie?

22. Matryeshka

But the war was the result of an ecological/environmental disaster. The coasts were swallowed up. So Hunger Games qualifies as apocalyptic.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i enjoy google guy so you have a good chance of being right

24. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

This episode was better than the first two. Still, Charlie is way too annoying. She's just not a good actress.

25. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I gave Revolution 3 episodes and I'm done too. This show is so dark and violent.....a real downer. And who needs that in this day and age? I sure don't! I deleted it from my DVR timers after watching tonight.

I LOVE good science fiction and apocalyptic scenarios. But almost none are good anymore. The only one I liked in recent memory was Jericho. Writers should take a page from Star Trek. The reason it was so popular because it had a hopeful/optimistic view of the future.

26. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Me too. I loved Kate, especially with Sawyer, what an interesting relationship between two not-so-nice but fascinating people. Then Kate got all mommyesque raising Claire's kid and so much of her time was spent on a love triangle, and she got less interesting.

I like Charlie. :shuffle: I caught up with the last Revolution two episodes last night and it's certainly enough to keep me interested although too violent for my taste. There are lots of unanswered questions, and key one is from Miles: How did everything fall apart so fast? I think there's a real answer to that somewhere.

And I'm very fond of Google Nerd who is back to getting wedgies from Fate, he's interesting.

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I decided I was done when the woman turned on the damn iPhone.

28. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

It's supposed to be 15 years since they lost power, right? The phone battery held a charge that long? :p

29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I think that pendent thing has more power to it than we give it credit for because that walk/disc man thing shouldn't have worked either unless those batteries in it were EXTRA super charged after fifteen years, LOL :lol:

I'm still enjoying this show overall and I'm constantly wondering what's going to happen next which is more than enough to keep me coming back every week for now. :)

30. Matryeshka

See, and one of the problems I have with it is it's not dark enough. I think they were trying to split the difference to appeal to everyone and it ended up a mess.