Revolution (Mondays on NBC) - Season One

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 25, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It seems like this show is getting the most attention in the general TV thread. Some of it even good! :lol: I liked last week's pilot episode enough to stick around for at least another month of episodes. Hopefully this is one of those shows that grows in quality each week, which will mean I'll stick with this one to the end.

Last week's episode got good ratings, so that's a good sign. From this article:

For those who missed last week's debut, here's info about the premise from the show's wikipedia entry:

If you missed the premiere from last Monday, here are links to the networks airing the show in the U.S.A. and Canada:

NBC (U.S.A. viewers)

Citytv (Canadian viewers)

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

So, in other words, this show is doomed. Look at the previous record holders and how well those shows did after such great starts. :(

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are many shows in the past that had the biggest debut and went on to have long, successful runs.

4rkidz and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The pilot was all over the place and was not appealing to me at all.

5. BigB08822

The pilot was indeed all over the place but I feel the show has potential, that is for sure. It better get moving in one good direction soon or it will start bleeding viewers, I fear.

6. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I quite enjoyed the pilot.. and am looking forward to tonights episode.. so having said that it will likely not last :confused:

7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Her weapon of choice, the crossbow, is terribly inefficient. She'll spend more time trying to cock it than actually getting an arrow off. She proved that in the fight at the hotel. Get her a regular bow/arrow.

8. BigB08822

And then she can get lessons from Katniss.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I've been thinking that the crossbow was chosen so that she would sort of remind people (there are quite a few Hunger Games fans out there) of Katniss, without it being a direct rip-off.

10. 4rkidz

I think it's obvious the whole show is riding on the coat tails of hunger games.. but I still like it (loved hunger games too)..

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Buzzkill!

:p

12. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I was semi-bored last week, totally bored tonight as I turned it off early. I won't be watching this anymore.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  13. 4rkidz

must admit I had to really focus to keep my attention tonight :p

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm predicting this will be gone by mid-season. This was just stupid tonight. I'll be watching 5-0 next week.

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I KNEW IT!!!! What all does she know??! *fangirl squee* :cheer: :biggrinbo

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

What did I miss? I wasn't paying the closest of attention....

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Lost interest after 10 minutes or so.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Watched both episodes tonight. Really liking this show. I actually think the show is doing quite a bit in terms of advancing plot and uncovering character backstory.

I pretty much enjoy all the characters. My favourite is the woman in the attic surfing the internet. Don't kill her! Also, is she the same actress who played Matthe Fox's girlfriend on Party of Five?

I thought the Militia guy who died and the man who threatened Child! Charlie looked like they were played by the exact same actor. Anyways, that was a good flashback. Looking forward to those flashbacks for the other characters.

I guess that means the Genie on "Once Upon a Time" is kaput? Good--he was my least favourite character. On this show, he is kicking some serious butt.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't see any particular similarities between this and the Hunger Games, other than both are based on dystopian societies. But there are a ton of dystopian stories out there.

This reminded me instantly of S.M. Sterling's 'Emberverse' series, which is based on the identical premise and explores what happens to society in the absence of technology and centralized government. At first I was sure this show was based on that series, though it appears not to be the case. It's not a novel premise at all, though, and it is the basis of many a post-apocalyptic tale.

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My guess would be the "she" super ninja Uncle was referring to is Charlie's mother.

21. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Dystopia is the new "in" it seems. I've never seen so many books about dystopia in years. And they're coming from everywhere.

That TV is picking up the trend is quite right IMO. They vampirise everything so why not that kind of universe ?
    I'd love to see a tv show about a "what if" world. They could use Philip K Dick novels :)

22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I said I'd give it one more episode ... and I did. But that's it. I'm done. Life's too short to waste time on bad TV.

Dystopian lit has been popular for over a century, but I agree, it's ├╝ber-popular now. Partly because of the Hunger Games? Perhaps.

BTW, for a much, much, much better post-apocalyptic TV series, I highly recommend Survivors from the UK, 2008-2010. I'm sure it's available on Netflix tho I haven't looked. The apocalypse in that case is a virus, and the story takes place immediately after so can't really be classified as a true dystopia, but the acting and writing are about 30x better than Revolution.

It in turn is a remake/reboot of series of the same name from the 70s, which I remember loving when I lived there. I wish they'd issue that one on DVD.

I also recommend the book In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination by Margaret Atwood. It's nonfiction, and she writes about why humanity loves to write about (and read about) "other worlds" -- be they other planets or speculative/dystopian versions of our own -- and what that says about us. She also does a bit of a history on literary dystopias which I found very interesting.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

OK, I can suspend my disbelief enough to buy the blackout and to wait and see how it was triggered.

However.

Watching a little slip of a girl essentially bench press a 200+ pound guy off her, then grab the sniper rifle (presumably one of the more complex types of guns) and kill him with it? Come on now.

24. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

This. I mean seriously? I'm curious as to where the plot is going on this show, but I can't sit through this kind of garbage. From now on I think I'll just watch the last 5 minutes - that seems to be when all the interesting stuff happens.

25. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I just checked and it is available on Netflix. I'm going to add it to my list of shows to watch - thanks!

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm all for characters with superhuman skills, but there better be a back story to go with it.

On Lost, Sayid was ex-military, Locke was a hunter, Kate had been on the run for years. On Hawaii 5-0, McGarrett is an ex-SEAL.

How did a 20 year old who's lived a basically pioneer farming life get those skills, and for that matter, the hard drive to do what she's doing? Sure, her mom died, but that's not enough to explain the character.

Haven't watched ep2, but back to ep1 the other thing that's been gnawing on me is Miles living in a grand hotel in Chicago, with tons of wooden furniture (not burnt by now?), museum-quality paintings (surely still worth money), and hundreds of torches and candles burning (wasteful). Hardly how I'd expect someone who is laying low and trying not to be found to be living.

27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time buying the idea that governments and law enforcement collapse just because there's no electricity. How exactly do they think this country (or any country for that matter) got started??

Another nitpick is the scene where Charlie flashes back to nearly getting her head twisted off because the guy wanted their food. Maybe I read it wrong, but didn't it say it was just a week after the blackout? Six months after, maybe even two or three, but a week? Give me a break.

28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it takes a little longer then a week for civilization to collapse into oblivion.

29. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Count me as another who gave it 2 episodes. Won't be back. It's just dumb. I don't like the characters or where the plot is going. I'm old fashioned. I like a show that resolves the story (or at least some of the story) each episode.

30. 4rkidz

I guess I'm not the only one? Boston Herald and New York times amongst others..
    http://www.latinospost.com/articles...ion-series-premiere-early-reviews-roundup.htm

I understand they are both from the dystopian genre - especially with regards to the post-apolyptical theme.. I have not seen the Sterling series - I must check that out?? Was it a book or movie series??

In someways I guess there are more similarities with the running man??.. but with regards to the hunger games what stood out for me was;
    -wardrobe choices for the lead actors
    -physical simlarities in the lead actors - even down to the cross bow and 'hunting'..
    -futuristic/disaster theme/post apolypitical setting

:D