Reverse throw

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shady82, Aug 21, 2010.

1. shady82

shady82 New Member

In dance, there is often the reverse lift where the woman lifts the man. I was thinking, what if we did a reverse throw in pairs, where the woman throws the man instead? Sounds ridiculous, but would it work?

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Probably, I just don't know how many points a single revolution throw would be worth.

3. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Good luck to any senior pair that attempts it! Tong Jian, for example, is about eight inches taller and seventy pounds heavier than Pang Qing. :yikes:

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh wow...perhaps Tanovich could throw Chau into a single given her height? She is frail, though, so probably not. In any case, they aren't even together anymore.

My thoughts on this subject: :yikes: :wideeyes: :lol:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, the guy could always do a triple which he can land without being thrown and the girl could fake it (pretending to throw him while just 'resting' her hands on him) ;)

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'd like a to see a reverse pair lift. The girl lifting the guy up in a lasso lift :eek:

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

You occasionally see reverse throws (as jokes) in exhibitions. I remember seeing Sale/Pelletier doing one (I think a throw single axel) once.

8. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Brasseur and Eisler (sp?) did a reverse throw in exhibition for years. It always got a big roar of approval from the crowds.

9. pumba

pumba New Member

As far as I remember they did it in the Olys Exhibition.

10. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

There was also the one with Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo and Johnny and Stephane

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's only a reverse throw if the girl is throwing the guy.

12. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

So biting my tongue over the above two posts... must... not... respond...

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Are you implying JW is a female? :p

14. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Maybe Ozzisk8tr is Evan in disguise? :)

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  15. John Q

John Q Guest

Remember that in dance the definitionj of a lift refers to the "lifting partner" and the "lifted partner". In pairs, it says "the man" and "the lady". So I doubt you could do it.

16. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting - that means in the case of pairs specific definition, a "reverse" throw would probably be deemed as an invalid element by the caller on the element list. Is that correct?

17. John Q

John Q Guest

Since I don't recall it happening I believe the Tech panel would have a number of choices...

1. Ignore it and assume it is a transition, unlikely
    2. Identify the throw, deem it a valid element, probable
    3. Identify the throw, deem it invalid but prevent the team from including a third throw (make it occupy a box) , unlikely.

The ISU doesn't make a clear distinction (Communication 1611) of the definition of a throw which is why # 2 is most likely. However, lifts, death spirals, and twists clearly refer to "the man" and "the lady" as such we could infer that it applies here, but with no guarantee.

Either way the skaters and their coach would be putting the panel in a difficult situation without a clear recourse; definitely not the most beneficial program design.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
  18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking... but if she can't throw him then he might end up kicking her and it would be very dangerous.

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a reverse throw be a lot harder than a reverse dance lift?

More strength would be required for the female to throw the male high than just lift him for a few seconds - and the height in a dance lift is less than the height in a pairs throw.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be any more dangerous. When you jump, you don't usually have the time to kick around you (unless you have some serious wrap issues), and the male skater would do a triple which he can do well. Though I think if they would fake it (if he is jumping through his power and she is just pretending to be throwing him), he wouldn't have the same height and distance as when male is throwing female, so it would probably get much lower GOE.

21. Jadwiga

Jadwiga New Member

not a triple but :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MofUBWQW0

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  22. LLLLutz

LLLLutz New Member

It depends. If you're talking about dance lifts - yes, the throw would be harder, unless there's not much weight/height difference between the partners (and this is unlikely in pairs). In the dance lift the effort can be devided between the partners to make it easy for the girl to lift her partner - at least that's how all the reverse lifts I have seen in dance, work. But when it comes to the overhead lifts - the throw probably would be easier than the lift, unless the female is bigger than her partner.