Revenge - Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

At least we don't have to wait until March for new episodes.

The best thing about this show is Emily and Victoria. Especially interacting together. We've been denied that for much of this season, so I'm looking forward to them FINALLY coming together for whatever purpose will further their respective agendas.

2. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to that, as I think they have a great dynamic.

This episode seemed much better with the pacing and whatnot. I wasn't fully satisfied, but I was reminded of what I like about the show. Did I miss something with Ashley?

1. Victoria gets the video of Ashley and Conrad.
    2. Victoria confronts Ashley.
    3. Ashley shows up at the board member's hotel room.
    4. Ashley gets caught by Daniel after Aiden tips him off.

I know that she (Ashley) had wanted the board member to vote in favor of Daniel. But why would she show up to boink another guy when she just got caught boinking her boyfriend's dad? That just seemed a bit off for me. So I thought maybe I missed something.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Victoria blackmailed her into doing it. Marco is quite the weasel! Wondering what Nolan has up his sleeve. Padma, just might be okay. Jack and Deklan story line is getting weaker. Still don't trust Aiden.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Bah, the Gullible Brothers. And the story is unnecessarily complicated now - the lame device of the phone book, using Emily's old red marker no less - and since they didn't kill the guy, was it supposed to be a warning? Then why is the name crossed out, like he's dead? And why leave him alive, when he can now point the finger directly at them?

I don't even care to know the answers, and only stop myself from FFing in case there's some tidbit that matters to the rest of the story. And here's something - remember how last season we all spent time speculating on who the body on the beach was, and who the killer was? Note that since this season's opener, there's been almost zero discussion on the identity of the body on the boat. Why? Because it's on the boat, and I think we're all hoping it's Jack, because finally there would be some relevance to Emily's story. Either that or it's one of the Ryan brothers, which will be an epically anti-climax.

For the rest - I'd love some clarity on Nolan's story. It's really feeling piecemeal to me. Emily's and Victoria's stories have been thought through - motivations, reactions, where it's all going. So far, Nolan's story just seems like something they threw together because he was last season's breakout character. We still don't know Padma's motivations or how she knew about David Clarke, and apparently Nolan doesn't care. At least he seems to have a plan, but after the massive error of revealing where the money went to Marco - who he thought was super loyal - he's making the same error in letting Padma get too close when he knows she is NOT trustworthy. Sigh.

I do like that someone has identified the gap in that Amanda has no money, yet was given half a billion dollars six years ago. You'd think Nolan would alert Emily on that one right away as it's a major threat to her identity and her plans.

re Ashley - I do like that we got a bit of backstory on her this season that helped set up her actions now. Agree totally with Matreyshka's assessment.

re Daniel - I'm guessing that his wimpy character last season was criticized enough that they've given him a complete makeover this season. I'd be enjoying it, if I didn't still think of him as the guy from last season.

re Conrad - emerging this season as the best written character, performed by a great actor. Love him and Victoria's love/hate relationship, and hope they keep them working together as they are way more fun together than apart.

Still love Victoria and Emily - and hope as do others that they come to some sort of alliance, as it's been clear from the beginning that they are more alike than either realizes. At least half of every show should be devoted to just them - start by ditching the stupid brothers vs brothers story please.

5. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I missed that with my DVR/Cable issues. Thank you. I just couldn't put it together in my mind what was to be gained there. I'm guessing that Victoria meant for her to seduce him/sleep with him to secure his vote for Conrad. However, the tables were turned when Daniel caught them in their fluffy white robes.

6. cruisin

Emily and Aiden found (via their spy cameras) out that Victoria was going to use Ashley's tryst with Conrad to force her to seduce the board member (thereby securing Conrad the vote). They concocted the scheme to get Daniel there to find her with the board member.

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I get why Daniel wouldn't want Aiden to be with Emily - he didn't delete her photo - but what power does he have to order him away? He's kicked him off the board, and Aiden works for Takeda, not Daniel?

I don't like Aiden with Emily. I don't buy the chemistry. I do REALLY look forward to see what Nolan has up his sleeve!

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't trust Aiden either. He ruined his own chance at revenge when he shot the russian mobster in the flashback episode, and now he's screwed over Nolan and gotten played by idiot boy Grayson. Not impressive!

9. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I found myself wondering when Fauxmanda became the voice of reason. She's really a lot less annoying than she was last season.
    Hear hear! :40beers: :COP:

I'd totally forgotten about it. I'm guessing it's one of the Ryan brothers, but I can't quite bring myself to care, even if it's one of the Brothers Clueless.

Yeah, he seems like a completely different person to me.

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand Victoria at all. Both in the past with David and Kara, and in the present, I never know what she's doing because she wants to and what she's doing against her best instinct because she's afraid of what the Initiative, or Conrad, might do if she doesn't obey.

The magic powers of maternity?

11. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

:rofl: Only in Revenge-land does maternity cure sociopathic tendencies? ;)

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And even then, she tried to bump off Mason!

13. Bostonfan

Yes, but that's just a mother's instinct to protect her child :p See, a baby changes everything.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think I am 2 or 3 episodes behind. Ugh, I hate getting behind. Sometimes this happens and I never watch the show again. :slinkaway

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am glad to see that Emily is still crossing people's faces off photographs. That was an effective storyline. I would like to see the judge's wife again.

At least there is forward motion on the Porters' storyline. But the writers need to somehow tie this storyline with the larger mythology and I don't think they will able to do so.

The same has to be saidf re: Aiden's sister. I don't really much care for her unless she will be somehow tied with the rest of the cast.

Ashley will be back! I have a soft spot for those sad sacked characters and I really want her to triumph.

16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

In an interview recently, the creator/head writer of the show said that this will be revealed pretty soon so there is definitely something else going on there.

Loved the show tonight! I didn't realize how much I'd missed Emily's red marker until she busted it out tonight. Woot!! :cheer:

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt. One thing they are doing a good job of is that I buy Amanda's redemption arc and her relationship with Jack. I would like her to be happy (relatively speaking).

18. cruisin

Worried that the judge's wife will be killed. And hope they don't just drop the character, I think she has more to offer. I like her.
    Also thinking that Amanda may slip. She may go after the creepy brothers who have threatened her family.

19. Bostonfan

Sharpie should really buy ad time during the show. Never has a magic marker played such a significant role in a TV show :)

It was nice to see one of the old-school take-downs. But I'm still a bit muddled on the larger mythology that unfolding. Initiative lady encouraged Danny to have Nolan hack Grayson Global just so GG hackers can route themselves into NorCorp files? I'm fuzzy on that part.

Mysterious thumb drive - dun, dun, dun! I find Marco pathetic, and hope that Nolan keeps him at arms length.

More Emily / Victoria plotting was fun to see.

Aiden is just not interesting me. The previews indicated that he's going to get jealous of Emily and Daniel. Really? That's the tired angle they're going to play? Boo.

20. cruisin

Maybe the initiative knows who Emily is and is leading Daniel to find out about the money.

Don't trust him. And he's creepy and weak.

Yeah, it seems idiotic for him to get jealous. He and Emily did the "break up" scene in the restaurant, with the plan for Daniel to want her back. Did Aiden think Emily would not wind up kissing Daniel? Doesn't make much sense.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That was my thought too. The lucrative secret? Emily. She might be willing to pay a lot to keep that from Conrad and Victoria. If the initiative knows though, they must know that she's trying to expose them? Emily and Nolan were talking at the start of the season. We know they (E and N) know that the Initiative is coming after her...maybe this is part of it?

Don't trust him. And he's creepy and weak.

I don't think he's really jealous. I think it's just the promo. That line we saw...is probably it. Often promos really focus on something that has nothing to do with the greater plot. Aiden isn't being straight with her either, with the whole sister thing.

Loved the empowered wife hitting out at her abusive husband. That was nice.

22. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think Aiden will betray Emily for his sister. Again.

I think he's hot and a triangle between he, Dannyboy and Emily is waaaaaaay hotter than the one with Jack as the 3rd leg.

I love Victoria. She and Conrad are the reason I watch. Well, and Emily. And Nolan. All the others are just background players.

23. cruisin

I'm a little disappointed that Nolan is getting less air time this year. I LOVE the dynamic between he and Emily. But, this year it comes across as caricature and forced. I wish they'd let the relationship between Nolan and Emily go back to the way it was.

24. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I agree. I hope that we get a more involved storyline this round to make up for the lack of Nolan time.

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I really do think that the writers and show creator have taken the criticisms of season two to heart and that the rest of this season is going to focus more on the things we all want to see and get the convoluted stories straightened out. They took a big step towards that in last night's episode and I'm hopeful that this continues in the coming weeks too. :)

26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Nolan 4eva!

Conrad in those shorts meeting Daniel for lunch - hilarious!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thoroughly enjoyed that - back to basics Revenge, only with the stellar writing (especially for Nolan and Conrad) of well developed show. Much more fulfilling than Downton Abbey, which I have to say disappointed, and I'm really disappointed that I was disappointed. Next week I'm watching Revenge and recording DA.

I think they are working toward making Daniel their puppet. They already got him into position, but if they just laid it out in the open, he'd still have time to run or do something stupid, like do the right thing :lol: Instead, they want him in deep so that by the time he realizes that he's working for a terrorist organization, his hands are so dirty that he can't escape.

As for Aiden, if they've been tracking him long enough to have snatched his sister (from her original kidnappers I assume) for future use, then they have to know exactly who Emily really is. And if that's the case, it makes zero sense that they'd let her live, because the closer she gets to clearing her father's name, the closer she gets to taking them down. Hopefully this is not a giant plot hole, but something that will make sense later :)

Best character right now for me is Conrad. They are writing him beautifully, and the actor is playing it with relish. His lazy swagger as he entered the restaurant in his casual clothes, greeted the bartender and totally owned it was hysterical! Ditto Nolan - every delicious line delivered so perfectly - I actually rewound a couple of times as it was so good! Also, who's styling him? He dresses so well - maybe not what your average guy would wear, but certainly what a very successful tech geek would to fit perfectly into the Hamptons world. Funny that just this weekend the NY Times ran an article about the "style crisis" in Silicon Valley (see Zuckerberg's hoodies) - they all need a Nolan makeover!

Other great line was of course Victoria, having lemonade on her royal balcony as Emily commented on the view of her house, and she said "oh I never noticed." :rollin:

And agree with those who loved the judge's wife. You could see where that was going at the dinner table, and I think her scenes with Emily were spot on, and really said a lot about Emily's character. We've seen her be stone cold hearted, even with the few she cares about at times, but this reminded us that there are a lot of emotions in there, and the ability to have empathy. I'd love to see more of the judge's wife too - sounds like she could play a big role in clearing David Clarke.

Do I even need to comment on the Gullible Brothers? I know they've tried to make Jack the hero of this saga, but he's coming off as the biggest loser in the history of nighttime soaps. Every, single, time he says "I'll take care of it" the whole thing ends in disaster. And I'm reminded that that damn boat is going to sink with someone in it, with no doubt the same gun - is it really going to be as boring as the older Mean Brother? Waste Of Air Time.

28. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

What's happened to Nolan's romance with his finance lady? Padma was her name I think...

29. Bostonfan

Nolan told Marco that he found someone else (Padma) - but she wasn't visible in this particular episode.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

At that moment, I almost thought he was talking about Emily. Shortly after there was the scene at her beachhouse where he seemed delighted to hear they had broken up, only to look crestfallen when he realized it was a ruse.