Revenge - Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Her gameplan seems to change as she goes along and uncovers new info. Obviously when she started down this road she had no idea about The Initiative. I doubt she's feeling any kind of sympathy toward Conrad and Victoria in the light of that relevation, but it does alter her strategies.

I wonder too at what point "justice" supercedes "revenge." Obviously the latter is name of the game (and the show), but would she be satisfied with clearing her father's name? But of course for that to happen the real villains have to be named ...
  2. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

She told Takeda that marrying Daniel was her way in to the company. It would allow her to search for evidence clearing her father. Of course this was also when Takeda was questioning her ability to stick with her revenge plan and said she was too emotionally involved with Daniel.

All in all I kind of like that Emily seemingly drifts around her goals for revenge. It matches with Takeda's criticism of her ability to follow through. She is steely and determined and then seems to lose focus as she gets distracted by something else. Her contradiction makes her character a little more realistic to me because the ass-kicking never failing Emily would be too perfect for me to believe after a while.

ETA: I think it fits with her trying to figure out what she really wants in life. She either wants to be close to people or push them away and use them but she can't have both. I don't think she really knows yet even though she tries to act like she does.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Regarding Mason's willingness to go along with the plan, I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt and believe that Emily had a Plan B up her sleeve if Mason never agreed to the plan from the get go. Since Mason accepted her initial deal, Emily didn't have to go to the alternative route. I further believe that Emily will have a Plan B should Mason stop cooperating at some point in the future, especially if Emily takes longer to enact her revenge than Mason expects/hopes.
  4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I also think that her plans waver because she is realizing that she is more human/kind than she realized. Her hatred of Conrad and Victoria was all she felt, initially. Then she met Daniel and more importantly her half sister Charlotte, and realized she was not the only victim. She did not expect to feel compassion. She has held Nolan at arms length, but clearly there is an unexpected bond there.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I was particularly impressed with her acting in the scene where she broke down and cried on Aiden's shoulder, after her mother's complex history/reality came to light. The way she cried seemed so anathema to her character. (Did I use anathema correctly? God, I need to read more...)

And I think for someone who was wronged as a child, by authority figures, you want revenge but at the same time it's terrifying to confront the wrongdoer/authority figure. So even though she's now an adult, she still sees the Graysons as authority figures. Crushing them would mean there are no more adults, and that's a scary proposition.
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And she knows it, which is why she went back for further training.

Still though, even though the prospect of a blockbuster book/scoop of the century is appealing to a writer, the price is an undetermined time in prison. He's being convicted of murder, so he'll be placed with hardcore criminals, and he's a gay man, who likely will not fare well at all. You'd think he'd at least have shown some concern when she said he'd stay there as long as she saw fit, and countered with some more concrete idea of a timeframe.
  7. Artemis@BC

The :rolleyes: is not that Emily would offer Mason the deal ... but that Mason would accept.

Like I said earlier, it's the kind of thing that only makes sense in TVland/Revengeland, and only if you don't think about it at all and just go with it.
  8. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I still don't know what to make of Padma, and I really couldn't care less about Brothers Clueless, although I have to admit I have soft spot a mile whide for Michael Trucco, so adding that particular character might save that story line for me. :lol:

Yeah, makes no sense at all, even if he felt massive guilt that does seem extreme.
  9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Michael Trucco is in the latest episode???

Why have I waited so long to catch up?? Off to go watch this immediately...
  10. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

In the TV Guide magazine, there's some non-spoilery stuff from the Revenge producers:

Mike Kelley offers some encouraging news to fans who may feel as though they've been treading water waiting for Emily to resolve her mommy issues and get back to what she excelled at last season: plotting revenge against the Graysons for the death of her father. December 2nd will be the last episode aired before the winter hiatus. Kelley says we can expect one of Emily's "old school-style takedowns" and what we learn will help propel viewers through the winter hiatus.
  11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I loved the flashback episode. Victoria is so vengeful!!! Interesting that they are setting up parallels between Victoria's habit of avenging wrongs done to her as a child with Amily's* need for revenge.

Journey without end indeed.

*do I mean Emanda? Which is which? I'm talking about the real Amanda Clark.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That was a much better flashback episode than last year's.

Ashley was the one I was most interested in. How does one even get herself involve in such a scene?
  13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i guess ashley didnt recognize emily's voice when she met her later. i'd be eternally grateful to the person who saved me from a liam neeson movie.
  14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm guessing she's so ashamed of being in that position that she's trying to block out details. But who knows what she'll remember in the future...
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

And a bathroom in a nightclub is usually dark and noisy so she may not have been able to really hear Emily clearly. But I would keep that note with the phone number. Maybe Ashley is an expert in handwriting...
  16. cruisin

All of that leads one to question how did Emily and Ashley meet? I thought they were friends, from way back. If they already knew each other when the bathroom incident occurred, wouldn't she have recognized Emily's voice then?
  17. my little pony

if you cant get a job in a gallery, is internationally trafficked girl the next logical conclusion? i know, i know it's a soap opera but i couldnt stop laughing at ashley.
  18. Artemis@BC

In the season opener I believe they said something about meeting in the context of some charity, I think for a museum or gallery. I got the impression that Ashley was in her party planner mode at that point, so definitely after this encounter. Plus I also got the impression that Emily had not yet solidified her identity as socialite lady-of-leisure at the point of this flashback episode.
  19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I can't remember when I started texting, but I guess it was reasonable to expect someone who struggled to pay rent would have texting on their phone in 2006 ... barely :)
  20. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Ahh, if only my memory was this good when it came to my studies...

Emily and Ashley met at a charity thing about 6 months before the series started. However, when Aiden asked her the other week how she'd 'picked up' Ashley, she said she'd found her 6 years ago and that she was an easy target. Aiden replied something like 'Are you sure she wasn't too easy?' Could be more to Ashley than we know...but interesting that Aiden didn't recognise her given that he was so interested in saving girls and avenging his sister. Maybe he did, and there's more to that too...

I first got a phone in 2001 and started texting in...2001. I think I'm around the same age as Ashley and Emily are supposed to be, and as a university grad in 06, there is NO WAY I wouldn't have had a phone given I was looking for a job. I know texting wasn't as popular in the US until later, but Ashley is English. Texting is second nature!
  21. cruisin

I wasn't sure how far back that went. Most of the pre- lady of leisure flashbacks have Emily with dark hair. Last night's she was blonde.
  22. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

In the series premier (or the second episode), it had been established that Emily and Ashley met during some Art gallery function or society (the same one where Lydia's husband and his mistress were members). So, Emily merely pushed Ashley to that sphere at the night club.
  23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think the hair is supposed to symbolise her commitment to her mission. Her hair was dark while she believed her father was guilty, and then while she did the first groundwork on the Graysons and realised they're just as bad and decided to commit to revenge, she went blonde again.

It also helps to show the lapse of time - the colour, length and style vary.
  24. Artemis@BC

I don't think the hair colour is "symbolic" in any way, except when it was dark it was when she was in her dark & moody teen stage. The changing colour & style does help to indicate time though.

She had dark hair in that picture that Lydia had, didn't she? The one that nearly got her busted? I think that was circa 2004 or thereabouts.

Odd that she'd pick blonde for Emily, though, when Amanda as a child was blonde. You'd think she'd go for something more different.

BTW, no one else has commented on the fact that we got to see The World's Oldest Dog again in the flashback episode! And seeing the backstory to this new business at the Stowaway ... well, I still don't give a crap, but at least it does explain what's going on there. Plus the parallels are interesting -- both Jack and Emanda are paying for their father being wrongly accused (tho obviously in different ways and to different degrees).
  25. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Victoria and Conrad are every bit as devious as Emanda. I loved the elaborate sting they did with her mother. They are my favorite characters on the program.

Now, what is Nolan's old bf going to do with Dannyboy? Poor Nolan. He gets screwed no matter what's happening.

I don't trust Aiden.

I don't think anybody on the show is trustworthy except Amanda to Jack and Nolan and Nolan to Amanda. And Jack. Everybody else is :2faced:
  26. my little pony

what was nolan's old bf's name? my first thought was how much he looks like that girl that he is sort of seeing now
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

LOL, apparently Nolan loves his CFO, regardless of gender.
  28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

They do, don't they. The plot thickens.

(((((Nolan)))))
  29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think you've just agreed with my point there - dark hair symbolised the dark, moody Amanda. She went blonde when she started her revenge.

I do wonder where they're going with Aiden, though. Is he a permanent character? We know he couldn't save his sister, but is he going to help Emanda?

Also...going from the preview next week, I think Nolan might be in luck...
  30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I also thought that there was a connection between the two CFOs that might explain her knowledge and interest in David Clarke's investment, but later in the ep they said his name, and it doesn't fit. Padma Lahari appears to be South Asian, while Marco's last name is Martinez or something similarly Spanish sounding. Then at the end we see why he was introduced - when Daniel called him.

And the Boring Brothers are still boring 6 years ago. I wonder how the reaction has been to that SL in the wider fandom - hopefully they will wrap that SL up soon so we can free up valuable airtime for the other characters and SLs.

ETA - according to the cast list for the next ep on IMDB, it's Marco Romero.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  31. cruisin

Padma, I thought was of Indian descent. Marco could be from a predictable Hispanic country or possibly from the Philippines.
  32. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I had the same thought.

I'm puzzled here: are "Emanda" and "Amanda" the same character, or are the spellings different on purpouse, and in that case who's who?
  33. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

'Emanda' is Emily, who is really Amanda. 'Fauxmanda' is 'Amanda', who is really Emily. Emanda/Emily is also referred to as Amily :) Confused? ;)
  34. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I wish we would just refer to them a Emily and Amanda, as they call themselves. It's easier to keep track of.
  35. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Where's the fun in that? ;)
  36. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I find that confusing because it is not always that clearcut. What do we call the little girl who grew to become now Emily. She was Amanda then.when someone says emanda I know exactly who it is.
  37. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I like Fauxmanda for the real Emily (curly haired nut job).

But for the real Amanda Clarke (blond)....I can't decide if Emanda or Amily is better.

It's a huge dilemma :)
  38. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

You people are so clever :cool:.
    (Thanks).
  39. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the episode but I felt it a bit lacking in a twist, esp. given this was the last episode of the calendar year. Either the writers should've had Victoria tell Emily why they should team up or had Nolan tell Padma what he plans to do.

Is this it for Ashley? To be frank, the writers treat this character like garbage in a manner that has always made me uncomfortable. I suspect she'll be used by Aiden--he splits up with Emily (as per Daniel's orders) and then starts a relationship with Ashley.
  40. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I liked that it liked a twist--I feel like a lot of shows go horribly wrong when they feel the need to top the previous show every time. Especially in a show like Revenge, you need some breathing room, and if you're going on hiatus for a while, this is a good way to do it. I also thought it was perfectly titled.

As for Ashley, I think the writers have been fairly consistent with her character. She might want to do the right thing, but she consistently does the easy thing instead which gets her into trouble. She always backs the wrong horse because her ambition exceeds her intelligence.

I'm starting to like Fauxmanda a lot--in contrast to many of the other characters, she seems to have learned something and is willing to just let the past be the past. The small conversations between her and Emanda have been very well done this season in revealing a lot about both characters' states of mind. Daniel is growing on me, like a particularly virulent fungus or genital rash. He was the perfect choice for the "path is not clear" part. I also like that they're showing Emanda somewhat wavering--she wants a family, she's concerned with happiness, etc.

I'd like for at the end of this show for Nolan at least to sail happily away with a bevy of beautiful accounting-minded boys and girls to some secluded island where they can have wild orgies and do math all day.
    *Jen* and (deleted member) like this.