Revenge - Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bostonfan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Might have been part of casting - knowing there would be a ton of flashbacks, they cast both Emily and Nolan with actors who can look a lot younger than they are.

2. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And I think Nolan is genetically blessed! He doesn't look so young in flashbacks, but he sure as hell doesn't look 41 either!

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

To be fair, most people, today, look younger than their parents/grandparents did at the same age. I'm 60 and I know look much younger than my mother/grandmother did at 60. Most of my friends, the same. When I was 33 I was carded every time I tried to buy a bottle of wine :lol:.

4. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Random Thoughts:

The producers kept their promise to demystify the scope of the Initiative by basically Rubiconing it (See AMC's Rubicon Wiki entry. That show was about a secret society of war profiteers in Corporate America). Fine with me. I was fearful they were going the route of Rimbaldi circa "Alias".

The whole Regina thing was a weird detour that was uncessary IMO. I wish they'd scale things down to the key players. Sorry to lose Takeda, but if it means less Aiden then I'm all for it.

If history is any indicator, Jack will be angry and push Emily away, hating himself and falling into a further spiral. But let's face it, his life sucks. Loses his Dad in Season 1. Loses his wife that he THINKS is his childhood sweetheart, but isn't. And then loses his only brother. Sheesh. The only bright spot is Carl, and I suspect the baby will narratively stay with his grandmother never to be seen next season. Hopefully he'll lick his wounds quickly and then Emily can corral him into her plan.

Nolan! She really does need his tech skills, but beyond that he's really her only family in a sense. I want her to go all gladiator mode to save him.

I believed Victoria desperately wanted Jack to pull the trigger. Her speech to Emily about marrying for position and how hollow it feels was a self-admission. Still, I expect she'll rally as she always does.

Love that Conrad is now the Governor :) Victoria as the 1st lady of NY? As if she wasn't already.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - I mentioned Quantum of Solace above - the Bond movie where a consortium of international power players is in it not for terrorism or some crusade, but for profit.

Agree again - they kept trying to make the whole Charlotte-Declan story work, and it never did. I thought it might have as an innocent parallel to all the nasty stuff the grown ups were doing, but instead we got junior stories more suited to 90210 or the OC that just distracted from what we really want to see. Maybe they were trying to get a younger demographic. But with Declan gone, I hope they can take a closer look at Charlotte now and take her story beyond what they've done so far. Regina was just too random - came out of nowhere, just another 3-5 ep story arc contract player.

I thought that was a critical scene somewhat lost with all the other stuff going on at once. Would have been better in another ep, where the importance of it in her character development could have been better explored.

:respec:

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if there's more to the "IT guy" than just a Conrad/Initiative flunky to set the bomb.

In season 1, with all of Victoria's flashbacks about David and the plot against him, I thought we were meant to see her as conflicted between love and power as represented by David and Conrad respectively. At times it almost seemed as if she were completely a victim in that plot, although then we'd see more scenes where she was actively complicit.

So the whole secret baby storyline may be more of the same, in showing both sympathetic and unsympathetic sides of her.

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Whether dead or alive, I don't think we've seen the last of Aiden. We need to know what he said to the FBI that would cause them to go after Nolan. Nolan's arrest is eerily reminiscent to David Clarke's demise. I am looking forward to seeing how Emily will be able to get Nolan out of jail...with Jack's help, of course. Jack has had a bad a season, IMO, and a good way of redeeming any Revenge character is to befriend/assist Nolan.

8. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I wonder if D really is dead or did Victoria have something to do with a disappearance?

9. Bostonfan

10. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

As it was mentioned, this second season was a mess, and I didn't enjoy it much.
    I also didn't pay a lot of attention to details.

But I think I got this: Padma was asked to sit down on a chair (in front of a camera, I think) when she was brought to her father, who was locked in the next room. She probably had to read the speech to see her dad, and we all know she was ready for anything for the smallest chance to save him, or even just see him.

As for who killed her, well, the Initiative might not exist, but there's a consortium of wealthy people ready to hire/induce people to commit all sorts of crime to serve their purpouses. It doesn't make much of a difference how they call it, the Initiative does exist.

11. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Ditto on all of the above. I actually followed all of the twists and turns this time. EXCEPT - how'd Declan end up in the Grayson building?

Before the next season starts, I hope they have another recap show with the popup explanations at the bottom. I forget things from one week to the next when there is so much going on, much less all summer.

12. Bostonfan

When Declan called Charlotte, she lied and said she was with Daniel. Presumably he figured that meant the office, and he went there to see her.

13. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I loved that on the first page we had doubts there was enough steam for a full season and by the end, we had enough plot lines for at least seven. :rofl:

The writers wrapped up this season perfectly--I hated the whole Initiative thing. I want Conrad to be evillllle just to be evillllllle. No reasons, no I was just forced into it, but I'm a greedy, rich, sociopathic bastard and I do what I want. Victoria was particularly good in this episode. Declan never really fit into the story all that well, though I wish he'd have just gotten a scholarship far, far away instead and I'm not sure how I feel about the Charlotte-pregnant storyline. There are some fertile people in the Hamptons :eek:

14. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. She wasn't exactly worried that he was there when she put the gun in the drawer. And Ashley let Conrad go out there after sort of delaying him after Emily told her to. They both wanted Jack to take the fall for getting rid of their problem. I hope next season Emily sits Jack down and tells him who the good and bad guys are. She is apparently so intelligent and savvy, what could she possibly see in someone so gullible and confused after all these years.

15. bek

bek Guest

I'm not sure how poor Nolan I feel. He did create that virus, and why the heck did he create it?

16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I didn't think Ashley wanted Jack to take the fall...I thought she wanted Jack to kill Conrad. I thought she was disgusted with him when she told him to go out there...

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We might never know - we might be meant to assume that it was a hacker thing - he did it because he could.

Also, re Jack shooting Conrad - there's a pretty good chance he would have missed. I'm no expert, but I as understand it, at that distance you'd need to be an experienced marksman, especially with a gun that you are not familiar with. It's also my understanding that a pistol-type gun is usually for close range, and if you want accuracy at a distance, you'd need a rifle-type gun.

18. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

We've just started re-watching season one. It's the only thing that can get me through the long summer. :drama: I almost forgot how great it was. Plus it has Sammy! The only thing I don't like is how mean everyone was to Nolan...

If it's true that season 3 will be more like 1 than 2 I will be happy :) season 2 was still addictive though.

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Me too, and revengers, I've poked a hole in the Grandma Porter story :encore:

Season 1, episode 1. Jack and his father have a conversation that reveals that mama Porter left years before.
    Season 1, episode 4. Declan tells Charlotte that his mother left when he was about 2 and he doesn't even remember her. He keeps her wedding ring because part of him thinks she might one day come back.

So...um...I guess she did? :shuffle: But just to babysit Carl so Jack wouldn't be an irresponsible Daddy.

I should have been a detective ;)

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What was the context/quote? Any chance it was an odd reference to Victoria?

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Nope. No chance it was Victoria. Not entirely sure which part you think could be a reference to it, but Declan was 100% talking about his own mother, and Jack told Ashley in the finale that Carl was with his grandmother for the week. Amanda's mother couldn't be found to attend her funeral, so I guess it's not her. This leaves Grandma Porter, who Declan hasn't seen since he was 2...

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought something was off with "grandma" too. They should have conjured up a great aunt or the woman who took care of them when they were little or something.

There were some GREAT speeches in the final episode, Victoria to Emily and Conrad to Victoria.

But what "deal with Nolan" was Conrad referring to when he said he only did it in exchange for knowing what the Initiative was up to? Nolan did that for him?

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Deal with Nolan?!!! I think you misheard. It was a deal with Helen, as in Helen Crowley.

Does anyone have any idea what Conrad said to Victoria after she spat at him? It's hard to hear on my computer.

I did like this little gem though:
    Daniel: "I don't take joy in ruining the lives of others, innocent or not"
    Victoria: "You must get past this"

:rofl:

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Phew!

Conrad said something like, "glad to see the hellcat I married is still around." Them something about covering up the hellcat at the public reception that night.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Ahh! Thanks :) That makes sense.

26. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not but to be safe:

Ashley will not be in season 3 :eek:

I am currently half way through re-watching S1 and quite enjoying Ashley and Emily's friendship, was hoping they might team up in S3 - I really disliked her in S2 other than the last episode. So I think this is a shame. I don't think it would be realistic that Conrad would have kept her on though.

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I just read that, Miffy.

I can only hope she returns later...her history with Emily is longer than she knows, and I hope it's utilised at some point

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

She gets a lot of play in the celebrity/entertainment press, so maybe she has other options? As I think about it, of all the actors, she's the one I see around the most - at events, clothes she wears, personal news etc. Emily Van Camp is out there too, but I don't get the feeling her publicist is promoting her as much, and that the actress prefers not to play the publicity game as much.

29. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I have finished rewatching S1 which has reminded me how much better it was than S2! I don't think they made the most out of S2 (although I was still hooked). Probably the one great standout thing of S2 for me was Aiden. Although I think that came at a price - Emily did need not need Nolan as much, or want Jack as much, which were 2 of the main points of the 1st season IMO.
    Also, so many things in S2 completely contradicted S1 which is a shame.

Can't wait for S3 though. Free Nolan! :mitchell:

30. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member