Return of the Sweet Valley Twins

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

Heather - Sorry your friend didn't like the book! I think you have to go in expecting it will be a piece of crap and just get some laughs out of it. I haven't read it yet. My bday is at the end of the month so I'm hoping someone will buy it for me!

Lara - I read Sleepover Friends too! I even had some recipe book for all the junk food that they used to eat at their sleepovers. Wish I could find that...

2. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

It was called the Super Sleepover Guide and I still have it on my shelf... the recipe for Kate's Super-Fudge is great, actually! ;)

3. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I remember Sleepover Friends! There was one where Patty (Patsy?) got a makeover and was *so* cool, so my friends and I all had to go out and get clothes just like her. I'm pretty sure it included leg warmers, neon mini skirts and shoulder pads :lol:

4. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

I remember in the same book, Patty got shown up in her attempt to be the coolest by some girl from out of town who proved she was the epitome of California fashion by wearing a rubber miniskirt. :lol:

My favourite thing about the Sleepover Friends is that these four girls apparently rode all over town on bicycles, went to the mall alone and bought clothing with their own money, hung out (again, without any parents in sight) at pizza places and ice cream parlours after school, had their own business (as birthday party entertainers), and had sleepovers every Friday night... and yet they were supposed to be in Grade 5. Riiiiight. ;)

5. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I still have it too... I love the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe :)

6. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I got the book Friday and am almost done with it. It has been an entertaining read to say the least. There are many problems with the structure, writing, etc., but I expected those. It is a great piece of nostalgia, which is what I view it as overall.

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Ooh, I meant to ask earlier if people ever read the Christopher Pike books. Man... those books gave me straight-up nightmares! :lol:

I actually thought I only read about 2-3 of those books, but on reflection I think I read 6:

* Gimme a Kiss (girl fakes her death by jumping off a boat... only to be double-crossed by her best friend)
    * Fall Into Darkness (girl fakes her death by jumping off a cliff... only to be double-crossed by her brother's best friend)
    * Witch (some teenage witch with healing powers or something, kind of boring)
    * Final Friends series - first book only (I guess I didn't care enough who murdered Alice, heh)
    * Chain Letter - in retrospect, it kinda seems like a ripoff of "I Know What You Did Last Summer"
    * Some book in which kids are getting eaten in the woods by what everyone thinks is a wild animal, but then it turns out the wild animal is a foreign exchange student girl... can't figure out the name of this one though!

8. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I read a lot of Christopher Pike books too. Remember Me was my favorite--there were even a couple of sequels, but they weren't as good as the original.

I also liked Witch, The Midnight Club, See You Later, and The Season of Passage.

I HATED the book Monster. It was really gross and bothered me for a while after I read it. :p

9. Cheylana

Just looked at the synopsis and realized I read this one too (though I don't recall whodunit, though, lol)

10. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

It was Amanda, Shari's brother's girlfriend...who was actually switched at birth with Shari. It was really confusing, Shari was a love child and Shari's best friend Jo's mom was the scorned woman.

I've re-read the book as an adult, and it holds up pretty well. :)

11. Cheylana

Thanks! I had totally forgotten that twist... maybe I'll check it out of the library and relive my adolescence a lil' bit too ;)

12. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago that Remember Me was gonna be made into a movie? I think many of his works would translate well to the screen. They'd be better than much of the stuff that makes it to the theater these days.

I feel a little silly for this, but if I'm being honest, I have to say that Season of Passage and See You Later are still two of my favorite books of all time.

Was Monster the one where the main character ate raw Big Macs? That actually grossed me out more than the cannibalism.

13. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Yeah, I think I heard something about Remember Me becoming a movie...not sure if that would be good, but it would be interesting.

Don't worry, I still haven't found any books as an adult that have captured my imagination the way that CP's books have. :)

Yeah, Monster was all about blood and eating people...and not in a subtle, vampire-esque way. :(

14. meggonzo

I think the last book is Spellbound. And wouldn't "I Know What You Did Last Summer" be a ripoff of Chain Letter? That movie didn't come out until around 1997 and the book is probably from around 1986.

Fall into Darkness was a kind of a ripoff on Gimme a Kiss. I think he even wrote that into the story! Fall into Darkness was made into a TV movie with Jonathan Brandis and Tatyana Ali (Ashley from Fresh Prince).

15. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

16. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike was always my fave by him. I loved the character of Alisa, she fascinated me. He actually released a new Last Vampire book last year and I'd been worried it would suck (no pun intended), but it was awesome. I was thrilled how true to the story it was, and there's going to be another one this year- http://www.amazon.com/Thirst-No-4-Shadow-Death/dp/1442413190/ref=pd_sim_b_3 as well as rumors of a movie.

17. Cheylana

Thanks!
    What Veronika said.
    I hate to say it, but this tv-movie does sound rather familiar...!

18. meggonzo

19. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Ugh, it's going to take me a long time to get through the new Sweet Valley book. I'm only 60 pages in to it, but I feel like I should read it through the end. I know it's fluff reading, and I obviously knew that going in, but it's painful reading "like" in every other sentence when Jessica is narrating.

Can someone refresh my memory about this Phi Epsilon whatever fraternity they keep mentioning? It sounds like it's from the high school days, but who has fraternities in high school? :confused:

20. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

The twins were supposedly in a sorority in high school, which always seemed odd to me...I've never heard of that.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Our high school had a few clubs that fancied themselves to be sororities.... it was mostly an excuse to haze people.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  22. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Ordered the new SWH book on Kindle for kicks and just finished it. It's perfect for lounge around and laugh/roll eyes reading which is exactly what I expected.