Return of the Sweet Valley Twins

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

What, there was no vanity sizing in Sweet Valley?!

I was in my 20s when I read them. :shuffle: The BSC too. I liked those better.

But I didn't last very long with either series, probably read about 20 of each. When I realized they would keep publishing them forever so I'd never read them all, I gave up.

2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

SVH, SVT, BabySitter Club... ahhhh, back to my childhood! I have some BSC vhs tapes too, lol I never really saw the SVH series. I wonder if I can Netflix it or maybe youtube

3. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

the book I remember best from SVH was the one where one girl was really fat and unattractiv, and made friends with Elisabeth.... the fat girl was in love with the cool, handsome guy at school.... Then, the fat girl started to excercise, running around and around the track and field lanes at school, and she shrunk and was totally slim and it turned out her face was suddenly really pretty and gorgeous, and she won some homecoming queen or whatever competition, and the handsome boy wanted to date her, but she turned him down and chose the geek instead, that she had liked all along

:lol: talk about politically correct and incorrect litterature lol

4. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

With BSC, can you believe that Mallory and Jessi were only 11 years old?! I know they were considered "junior babysitters," but now that I'm a lot older than that I can't imagine a little 11 year old girl babysitting. (But I think part of the rule was that they could only babysit after school for a few hours and/or they had to babysit together. Someone correct me here.)

Oh, and I remember when I got tired of how the girls never aged and they were always in 8th and 6th grades, respectively. I wrote all about this to Ann M. Martin, and in her response letter she explained how if she allowed them to age then she couldn't keep up with them and they'd be 30 before we know it, etc. I understand this, but she could have at least made them freshmen in highschool at some point and then continued from there. I am surprised she herself never got tired of writing about them being in middle school.

5. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

They did graduate from middle school in the very last book of the Friends Forever spin off. I may or may not own all of those too :shuffle:

6. Stefanie

:rofl: This blog is hilarious!!!

And there's a picture of a page in the back of one the books that's an advertisement for the BSC club on Prodigy. I was a member of that, too. :shuffle:

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

IIRC, there was some gap between seasons 2-3 and they ran into the common problem of actors aging out of their roles and others becoming unavailable. Of course they also basically dumped 99% of the realism, such as their was, at that point. (With the freakin' mini donk.)

Of course even reading them as a kid I knew there were issues (as one might expect from books written by someone whose only riding experience was tooling around Central Park on the rental horses!) My barn friends and I used to make fun of some of the things that just Did Not Work if you knew the first thing about horses.

That's it! Ginny Lu Culpepper, who carved whimmydiddles out of wood. (The things I am wasting neurons remembering...)

8. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

OMG...She also covered Taffy Sinclair. I remember receiving a handful of those books in a birthday package once. There was one where they had some sort of parenting class in middle school where they had to carry around a stuffed animal like a baby for two weeks or something. The poor nice girl thought that Taffy liked her, but actually Taffy was making her be the babysitter.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I started babysitting when I was 11, but it was usually only kids who lived on our street, and my mom was generally on call in case of emergency. And my sister and I often went together, at least for a while.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Oh, no!!! Anyone remember the book The Against Taffy Sinclair Club? Where the girls send away for the Milo Venus Bust Developer?! :D

11. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

OMG that was hilarious, I remember I laughed so hard:rofl: in Norwegian it was called Venus fra Milo brystuvikler!

I remember the pink pencils that the girls in some club got...that was laying in a see-through plastic bag, awaiting it's new members...

all those books came from the same book club here in Norway....guess they just translated a bunch in a hurry and send them out:rolleyes:

12. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

OMG! How many years did they spend in the 8th grade?

When I first started reading the BSC books, I was 9-years-old and in the third grade. At that age, the lives these girls led seemed so very cool and grown-up to me. It was when I was 13 and entered the 8th grade that I pretty much lost interest in the books. My life was nothing like theirs and the never leaving the 8th grade was really starting to bug me. I am glad to here that they eventually graduated! ;)

I'm surprised, too, that she (and the ghostwriters) never tired of middle school. I can understand not wanting to age them too fast, but there could have been some progression going on there--like through 4 years of high school.

If I'm remembering this correctly, Jessi and Mallory could only babysit during certain hours and never more than a few kids over a certain age.

I never read The Saddle Club books (although I may have watched the show on Discovery Kids). I do remember reading a few books from another series about girls and horses. I cannot remember the name to save my life though. For some reason, one girl came to stay with another girl, who wasn't able to walk after surviving a car wreck that her dad was killed in, and her mom at a stable somewhere. The girl who had been in the wreck miraculously regained her ability to walk and ride, and the two girls ended up BFF's.

I also liked the "Palm Beach Prep" series, but it was short-lived. I think there were only 4 or 5 books published.

13. Stefanie

I felt the same way about how cool their lives were and all of the cool things they experienced, hoping that when I reached 8th grade it would be like it. It wasn't. I didn't have a Logan Bruno. :lol:

14. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

My friends and I may or may not have tried to start our own babysitters club :shuffle:

Tried being the operative word.

Onward, I talked to my mom last night, and she still has all my books (even though I told her she could get rid of them). When my parents come to visit me, they're going to bring them... all gazillion of them. Mr. nerdycool is going to be all, "what the hell woman?!?" :D Then I'll only have to figure out whether to keep them for my children, or to sell them on eBay and make some $$$ when they start re-releasing the series, which I heard they're going to do for both SVH & BSC.

15. aka_gerbil

If you decide to part with them, there's a chance I might be interested in some of the BSC books. (Watch me amass the entire collection for a hypothetical future daughter and then end up having sons.)

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I wasn't allowed to babysit until I was 13. I made up for lost time though, and spent an inordinate number of hours watching rugrats and making :bribe: hand over fist. (Or at least I thought it was big money back then, lol.)

Yeah, the whole "never aging" thing in the various series bugged....

Oh, I just remembered another series: Anyone read The Girls of Canby Hall books? It followed three roommates at an all-girls boarding school in...New England maybe? Dana, Shelley and Faith, I think those were the names.

Those girls were allowed to age, and they eventually were replaced by three new roommates.

17. nerdycool

I'll keep that in mind!

But please note, my parents live in another state and the soonest they may visit is this summer. If they don't come, I'll get them at Christmas. And then I have to re-read everything :) So it'll be a while!

18. aka_gerbil

We've got some time. I still need to meet a nice guy, get married, have a daughter, and wait for her to be old enough to read the BSC books. :lol:

19. nerdycool

:lol:

I suppose we do have some time then!

20. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

was anyone else into Christopher Pike's books? Remember Me, Whisper of Death, Road to Nowhere, Fall into Darkness... love them!!

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Omg yes!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I loved the Fabulous Five too. They were soo jealous of Taffy honestly.

And I read Christopher Pike too. My oldest friend still has her collection.

Anyone remember Lois Duncan? I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Third Eye, Don't Look Behind You...

22. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah!!!!!! The Final Friends series, See You Later, Slumber Party, the list goes on and on. I think I had moved on by the time he started his vampire series, but I hear they're really good. If you haven't, you should check out the handful of adult books he's done. They're longer, and feature grown-ups rather than oversexed teens, but the general vibe is still the same.

I too enjoyed my share of Lois Duncan, and I had completely forgotten about the existence of Taffy Sinclair, but it's all coming back to me thanks to this thread.

On that note, did anyone else read Richard Peck, particularly the Blossom Culp books? Loved those.

23. meggonzo

I have read a couple of Pike's adult books. He had one that came out a few years ago called Falling. It was pretty good, but kinda gruesome in parts. I also found some of his other adult titles at a used book store last summer - Season of Passage and the Cold One. The Season of Passage was ok, but I guess I was expecting more? I actually really liked the Cold One. There was supposed to be a sequel but he never wrote it. :(

24. meggonzo

I don't remember Taffy Sinclair, but Fabulous Five sounds familiar. I remember I had a book where there were two competing groups and the one group had found some clubhouse and then they had to compete in a Tug-of-war against the other group to see who would win it. Is that Fabulous Five??

I also read some of the Little Gymnasts and Pen Pals and later on Freshman Dorm.

Is it too embarrassing to admit that I bought a bunch of Sweet Valley/BSC/Pike books a few years back on ebay??

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I remember Christopher Pike too. I read all his books for a while and then I think I either lost interest or he had too much of a gap in between two of them and I forgot about them. They were really good and I'm intrigued now to find out that he wrote adult books too. For some reason I thought he only wrote young adult books, LOL :lol:

A friend of mine read the SV Confidential book this week and she mentioned on FB that she was majorly disappointed with it. She was upset about this too and that is definitely a bummer to hear this from her as she and I have very similar tastes in just about everything. Considering the fact that I didn't read the Senior Year series of SVH books and didn't even finish the SVH series when they were still juniors in HS (I went to college and aside from reading a most of the college ones, I never had time for fun reading), I should probably skip reading this new book. :( I have a feeling I might be confused by some of the newer characters and quite frankly, I don't know if I really want all my childhood memories of those books ruined by Francine Pascal making Liz and Jessica meet up hardcore with too much reality, LOL :shuffle:

BTW-I read BSC books too but I didn't discover those until I was all ready way into my teens so I outgrew those really fast. They are cute books though. Stacey was my fave. :)

26. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

The YA stuff is definitely Pike's bread and butter.

Fans are very :confused: about the sequel to The Cold One. It's not like it was just a rumor. They actually published an excerpt. Talk about a tease. It must be going on 2 decades now. I guess it ain't gonna happen, but you never know with authors. That muse could speak to him at any moment.

27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I don't remember a tug of war for a clubhouse, but there were definitely two competing groups in the Fabulous Five (that was in middle school/jr. high - Taffy Sinclair was mostly elementary school and she was phased out afterward, iirc she became an actress so was away a lot). So I guess it could have happened.

I just remembered another series - Sleepover Friends! I mostly remember one character named Patti who was shy, and the sophisticated Stephanie who was from "the city" and liked some specific color combo - I think red, white and black?

There was also another series where one of the girls did West Side Story - I surprised my Dad by knowing half the lines before ever actually seeing the movie. :lol: Will have to remember which one that was...

28. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Summer of Fear was one of my favorite Lois Duncan books :respec: . I'll never forget how CBS made an absolutely horrid TV movie out of it starring Linda Blair :yikes: .

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a good thread! Reminds me of when I was a kid, and I would walk or ride my bike over to the neighborhood library, come home with a big stack of YA paperbacks and have them all read by halfway to the due date.

I remember Blossom Culp as, thanks to watching silent movies, I've always had a fascination with life during that time period. Ghosts I Have Been was my favorite.

30. mackiecat

mackiecat Active Member

May I ask why the twins have only aged to the 20's- what have they got that we don't have?:lol:-cause I grew up reading SWH and I am NOT in my 20's anymore???