Return of the Sweet Valley Twins

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

:lol: Aww, thanks for reminding me of this. I'd forgotten about being a member of the club. I'm sure if I spent enough time looking for it I could find my membership card at my parents' house.

I also used to have a [fake] gold necklace with a Babysitters Club charm on it. It was a free gift with one of the Super Special books. And I had the Mallory doll.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I had a Mary Ann doll- it was a pretty crappy doll. I remember being disappointed in it pretty quickly after getting it.

In college I found about 100 of the books in my closet, so I took them out and reread all of them- apparently after I stopped reading they added some girl named Abby- her "thing" was that she had bad allergies. Really dumb... there are still a few books I haven't read, but I got all the super specials that I had missed. Super specials were my favorite!

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I just accepted it was a type of stone and moved on - but now I had to look and see that it's a style of necklace, not an actual stone! :shuffle:

Reminds me of watching One Life to Live in the mid-80s, when there was a storyline involving Tina Clayton (Lord) on trial for murder - the trial hinged on something made of lapis lazuli she had been wearing and the term was brought up a lot. It seemed so very exotic :glamor:

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Too funny. And thanks for reminding me what kind of car the twins drove, I had forgotten! :)

I too was a big Babysitters Club fan. I think those were the only two series I followed.

The beginning of each SVH book was always so tedious though, as the author took pains to remind us of how Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield looked alike in every possible way (other than Elizabeth's mole) but their personalities couldn't possibly have been any more different (Jessica = narcissistic, manipulative and never wore a watch; Elizabeth = boring, and always wore a watch), not to mention Lila Fowler, Bruce Patman and the teacher with the strawberry blond hair, whatever the heck his name was again, lol.

5. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

6. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Did anyone read the Sweet Valley University series? I actually liked that one a bit more because it seemed more current. Most of the early SVH books screamed "I was written in the early 80's!"

And I also was a huge fan of BSC, and the super specials were awesome. I occasionally wonder if my mother gave away my book series or not... because if I had them (BSC & SVH/U) I would totally re-read them! I'll have to ask her tonight.

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

^ My mom gave all my books away to a needy child... gosh darn it :lol:

8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I still like to pick up a Sweet Valley book and read it every once in a while.

I was a Babysitters Club fan when I was younger. Dawn was my fave, and I started to lose interest after she went back to California. I wonder if my niece might like them. She's around the age I was when I got them.

There's a book series I read in high school, Daughters of the Moon, that I wish had lasted longer. It was 13 books plus a another 4 from a tie-in series. I suppose it's nice that the author had a vision and ended the series at an appropriate length and didn't drag things out forever. This is one series that I'd love to see adapted for TV.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread is making me feel old, lol! :lol:

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I was more into Sweet Valley Twins and definitely had all their Super Specials, Thrillers, etc, but I do remember searching out the book where Regina tries cocaine and then DIES! :eek:

My favorite ever SVH book is Sweet Valley Saga, which is about the female ancestors of Jessica and Elizabeth. There's also the Wakefield Saga, about the boys. I loved the historical part.

HeatherC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Ha, me too! I have a family history of it but never understood it...until BSC. Now, I still remember it because Stacey had it :lol:

A friend and I just read the first chapter online, and the spoilers. Hilariously ridiculous. And ridiculously hilarious. I still wanna read it :watch:

12. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I loved the sagas, too. Even though I was always :rolleyes: that a lot of the female ancestors were twins who looked exactly like Elizabeth & Jessica. Those are some strong genes if all the girls in the family have blond hair, aqua eyes & were perfect size 6's.

BTW, the link Mozart gave is awesome!

13. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

The Evil Twin ruled! :D

14. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

That one was awesome. Regina had it hard. The poor girl was deaf. She got kidnapped by the crazy guy who wanted the computer chip from her family's company. She gets her hearing back, but then breaks up with her boyfriend. She then tries cocaine and falls over dead.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I actually watched that show, back when the channel that carried it was called Discovery Kids (I think it's been renamed). Hated when they changed all the actors in the 3rd (?) season - the replacement for Veronica DeAngelo was no match for the original actress who played her.

Elizabeth was always into horses, and in SVT #8 First Place, Lila Fowler actaully gets a horse, but Elizabeth is the one who ends up exercising it and taking care of it, buddying up to Lila to do so, and pissing off Jessica in the process.

I can't remember the name of the other book (I think it was SVT #24 or so - I have the first 33 SVT books, and then I outgrew the series), but I remember the girl's name was Ginny Lu Culpepper. IIRC the horse's name in the story was Snow White.

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Apparently the books were updated for re-release a year or two ago, and now the twins are perfect size 4's. :rolleyes: :p

I still remember my first Sweet Valley Twins book - #14, Tug of War. My mom had been shopping and bought it for me as a surprise.

17. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

18. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

I was too old for them, but I did read the Sweet Valley University series, as it was very popular at my library. All I remember is that Elizabeth gained the Freshman 15 in one of them.

19. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Oh, the horror! ;)

20. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Stacey and Dawn were always my favorite BSC members. Whenever we played any type of make believe where we gave each other new names, I was always Stacey Dawn :lol:

21. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

22. meggonzo

The object of the game was to go around the high school and collect all your pieces for your big date and then make it back to your home space before anyone else. The best part was that if you landed on certain spots, you would have to switch your boyfriend card with someone else. I mean really?!? :rofl:

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

NO! :eek: And when she had the size 6 gene? How is that even possible??

24. meggonzo

Because she refused to put out for Todd and he broke up with her, so she was depressed and binge eating. Not sure what kind of message that is sending... :scream:

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I have a "music memory" certificate from 2nd grade that is written out to Claudia (my last name).

The teacher told us to write down the name we wanted to appear on the certificate. Claudia was my name of the week, and the instructions seemed vague enough that I didn't need to use my ACTUAL name.

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I read the BSC club until I was way too old for it. Stacey was my favorite. Remember when she started hanging out with those girls who hung out at the mall? And took whine to a U4Me concert? Bad, bad girls :drama:

And all the bitchery when Mary Anne cut her hair. :rofl:

I love this blog that recaps all the books:
    http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I loved those Saga books too! I still have them and read them from time to time. Lila's was my favorite of that group but I really enjoyed all of them. :)

I haven't read too many good reviews of the Confidential book either but heck, the books themselves didn't get very good reviews either back then (according to one article at least) so who cares?! It should be good fun anyway. I'm starting to wonder how I'll feel reading about these two girls and all their friends dealing with grown up problems though. I have enough problems myself...where's the escapism here?! LOL :lol:

28. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Wasn't it?:lol: It was actually really nice, because my childhood BFF was diagnosed with diabetes when we were in the 5th grade which was when we started reading them . In fact, she introduced me to the BCC and was all excited that "one of the main characters" had it. I assumed she had discovered the series by coincidence, but I wonder if maybe her doctor or social worker recommended them to her.

29. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I know mine are still around here somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where and what shape they're in. I need to hunt them down.

I occassionally see used copies in thrift stores, but I haven't come across any that I didn't think I already had (or remembered having). If I ever have a daughter, I want to share them with her and I'd like a complete set.

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Count me in with the formerly BSC and SV obsessed. :cheer2: I'm so going to have to read the new book. I think the last series from Sweet Valley was when Elizabeth was dating a jerk and Jessica tries to prevent them getting serious, upsetting Liz to the point of running away to London for a summer program. Except the deadline was passed so she had no room and board or money, and becomes a maid. To royalty of course. :p :lol: